Re: Landscape With Dragons revisited

  • jef.murray
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 5, 2006

      John,

      Roman Catholics cannot, by definition, be called fundamentalist.
      This is simply because Catholicism, unlike Christian fundamentalism,
      does not insist that all truth is contained in scripture. In
      Catholicism, there is ongoing revelation through the teachings of the
      church (e.g., encyclicals and other documents approved by the church
      Magesterium) and through the writings and teaching of saints
      throughout the ages. The Catholic world looks for understanding of
      complex situations through prayer and discernment. And its
      understanding of God's revelations to man can and does change over
      time, albeit generally in nuance, not in the basic tenets of the church.

      Fundamentalism, by contrast, insists that the truth of all
      experience must be filtered through a fixed set of writings, and that
      these writings are, in themselves, infallible. There are Christian
      fundamentalists, and I believe that all of these are Protestant in
      some form or fashion. There are also fundamentalist Muslims. And, for
      all practical purposese, that term might be applied to any religion
      that has a fixed and unchanging canon of scripture and that does not
      believe in any authority outside of that scripture.

      I would agree with you that Michael O'Brien's positions might seem
      somewhat like those of many fundamentalist Christians. However, to the
      secular world, an orthodox Catholic can appear to be radically
      conservative on some issues (e.g., abortion), while being
      simulataneously radically liberal on others (e.g., being against the
      war in Iraq, and being intolerant of societal poverty and inequality).
      This "strange" balance is what defines Catholicism, as G.K. Chesterton
      was fond of pointing out.

      I hope some of this helps....

      Jef
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan