Re: [mythsoc] Landscape With Dragons revisited

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 4, 2006
      My response was prompted by the 'Abusus' quote from another on this
      thread posted earlier; I had just finished re-reading 'OFS' in a clean
      copy for my JRRT course at Bradley University for tonight's session so
      it seemed an apt interjection. Tolkien states his mislike of morbid
      surrealism in that work, which wd. certainly apply to de Sade. In any
      event, no intention to inhibit polite discussion here.

      Mike

      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      >On Sep 4, 2006, at 10:32 AM, Mike Foster wrote:
      >

      >>"Abusus non tollit usum. Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our
      >>measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only
      >>made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker."
      >>--JRRT, "On Fairy Stories"
      >>

      >True enough, but that doesn't mean that Tolkien felt that "anything
      >goes" in the name of Fantasy and sub-creation: his statement rests
      >upon our being made, and hence our making, "_in the image and
      >likeness of a Maker_". Does anyone think that Tolkien would apply
      >this as license for, say, the "fantasies" of the Marquis de Sade, and
      >thus have no moral objection, or see any moral danger, in them?
      >Indeed, are not the lies of Morgoth a clear example within Tolkien's
      >own subcreation of morally dangerous fables _par excellence_? I
      >expect that we can agree then that Tolkien believed that there ARE
      >moral limitation on the "right" to Fantasy, especially as he did
      >believe those rights to derive ultimately from a Maker; and so,
      >further, that, while we may disagree on just where those limits lie
      >(and will, as we don't all share the same philosophical/moral/
      >religious systems), discussing them (politely, of course),
      >particularly with respect to some philosophical/moral/religious
      >system, is _per se_ neither unjustified nor unreasonable.
      >
      >Carl

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9 11:44 PM
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan