Re: [mythsoc] looking for travel advice

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006
      Lisa wrote:

      >There were several nice looking Best Westerns in that part of London, we
      >walked by them when we were staying there last year. Yes, an Amercan
      >franchise, but each hotel is individually owned, so they do have
      >personality, the prices at several of them are reasonable, and they
      >seemed nicer than the one we were staying at. Also they have High Speed
      >Internet and more comfort features. And you want comfort when you are
      >not well. So if you can afford it, go there. Best Western has a website
      >and they will show you their London Properties from a query at the front
      >page.

      A few years ago my wife and I stayed for a couple of nights at the Best
      Western Paddington Court hotel. The rate was good, but the room was
      uncomfortably small even by London standards (the "double" bed was more
      like a slightly wider twin/single bed), the staff was surly, and the
      breakfast was mediocre. We expected much better on the basis of the Best
      Western website. Some of the folks posting complaints on the Tripadvisor
      site had it even worse.

      The best hotel in the Paddington area that I know (and the only other hotel
      I've stayed in in that part of London) is the Paddington Hilton, connected
      to the rail/Underground station: lovely Art Deco decor, good breakfast,
      great location. It used to be one of the great railway hotels. But it's
      expensive unless one can find a discount deal, as Christina and I did the
      one time we stayed there.

      As for London attractions, I must put in a plug for Sir John Soane's Museum
      in Holborn. Soane was one of the great English architects and art
      collectors. My wife was the Museum's librarian for more than twenty years,
      and we had our wedding reception there.

      Wayne

    • Lisa Harrigan
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
        Sad to hear the Best Western was so crappy in London. We stayed at
        several in both Great Britain and Ireland and had wonderful service at
        all of them. Goes to show you how independent they all are.

        And many of the hotels we stayed at in our trip last year had small
        cramped rooms with impossible beds, including all three that we used in
        London. It may be that you can have affordable or you can have space,
        but you can't have both in London. Not too surprising since everyone
        wants to go to London.

        And we only had one place we stayed at in London that had a decent
        breakfast (though the room was small and very filled with the double bed
        and rollaway for Moose). One had a real limited, no cooking required,
        breakfast (but an almost decent size room with 3 single beds in it
        (after we got switched from a room with no circulation, no space, and a
        very crooked floor), and one had nothing at all, even though they
        claimed to have it on their website!

        Needless to say, I haven't been really impressed with London hotels.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
          I've stayed at a Best Western in central London (not the same one Wayne
          Hammond stayed in), and it was equally bad: relatively inexpensive but
          still overpriced room, very tiny and otherwise unappealing room, no
          breakfast included, etc.

          However, I've stayed in Best Westerns in England outside London and they
          were both excellent. One of them was excellent on two separate occasions.

          I conclude the problem lies more with London than with Best Westerns. A
          Best Western in the middle of Florence, Italy, was kind of cramped but
          decent, and the breakfast was included and good.

          When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
          prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
          all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
          stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
          facilities to find me a place in the next town.

          David Bratman
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
            In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:03:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
            prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
            all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
            stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
            facilities to find me a place in the next town.

            Yes, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfasts), not at hotels. Most of them that
            I've stayed at are actually entire houses converted into guest accommodations
            (including living space for the owners/managers), but I've always heard them
            referred to as B&B's. You will often get to talk to the owner as you eat
            breakfast. You can find a number of websites for finding bed and breakfasts in
            London just by Googling on the words "bed and breakfasts" and "London". If
            you're traveling around, go to Tourist Information in the town you're
            currently in one day before you leave and ask to book a room in the next town. All
            hotel and B&B rooms are comparatively small in the U.K. Don't expect to find
            American-sized rooms.

          • Lezlie
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
              Hello-- Thank you everyone for all of your excellent travel advice. I
              found a nice little B & B that caters somewhat to women traveling
              alone & near to the hospital :The Darlington. I have also been
              contacted by an old friend who offered his daughter's flat in central
              London for my 2nd trip -- and for all the pub and folk club &
              bookstore addresses-- thank you & all are on my list! I will also be
              able to travel into the Northern areas and take a "look-see" around
              the winter landscapes, thanks to the links you have all sent.
              I've love to arrange a cup of tea or coffee and chat about
              Tolkien with anyone feeling sociable while I'm there. Lezlie