Re: [mythsoc] Landscape With Dragons revisited

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 4, 2006
      "Abusus non tollit usum. Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our
      measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only
      made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker."
      --JRRT, "On Fairy Stories"

      Debra Murphy wrote:

      >In Catholic circles, O'Brien is a well-known critic (unsurprisingly)
      >of HP as furthering the cause of the occult, witchcraft, etc. This is,
      >of course, one of the several areas with which I must respectfully
      >disagree with him. I think the person who pointed out that there is a
      >tendency here to deny the fluidity of symbols was spot on. It reminds
      >me a bit of some of the Protestant fundamentalists who would cancel
      >Christmas because Dec. 21 was once a pagan winter solstice festival.
      >Christianity, of course, has two thousand years of history (ongoing)
      >involving the "baptism", as it were, of pagan symbols, customs,
      >notions, whole philosophies. Ultimately, I believe the
      >"Christianability" of HP will be proved or disproved only when book 7
      >appears, and I vote (after re-reading the series thus far several
      >times) for the probability of the former.
      >
      >O'Brien is a Tolkien fan, but I tend to find that most of his
      >arguments against HP could be just as easily turned on Tolkien. Just
      >as there are examples of conversion and even religious vocations among
      >Christians from reading Tolkien, there are any number of pagans and
      >Wiccans out there who regard Tolkien and his subcreation as prime
      >inspiration. Abusus non tollit usum. as the old saw goes.
      >
      >For more info, O'Brien's views on HP are expressed here:
      >http://www.lifesite.net/features/harrypotter/obrienpotter.html, and
      >were criticized by Sandra Miesel (sci-fi writer and co-author of "The
      >Da Vinci Hoax") here:
      >http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/arts/al0105.html.
      >
      >Debra Murphy
      >www.debramurphy.com
      >

      > _____
      >
      >From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On
      >Behalf Of John D Rateliff
      >
      >Unfortunately (?), the book was written in 1998, so there's no
      >mention of Harry Potter... _,_._,___

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9 11:44 PM
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan