Re: [mythsoc] looking for travel advice

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hi Lizlie

      There were several nice looking Best Westerns in that part of London, we
      walked by them when we were staying there last year. Yes, an Amercan
      franchise, but each hotel is individually owned, so they do have
      personality, the prices at several of them are reasonable, and they
      seemed nicer than the one we were staying at. Also they have High Speed
      Internet and more comfort features. And you want comfort when you are
      not well. So if you can afford it, go there. Best Western has a website
      and they will show you their London Properties from a query at the front
      page.

      We stayed near Queensway which was nice, it is a major shopping spot.
      Although the Queensway tube station was closed for renovations and the
      Bayswater was one of the stations bombed, making getting around harder
      than it should have been. *sigh* So check with the London Underground
      Website to verify which stations are open before you book a room
      anywhere. Still there were lots of shopping and food choices right there
      at Queensway. We were difinitely not starving.

      Our favorite place to eat was a place called Shish (website
      www.shish.com) A what one would find along the Spice Road type of
      fussion restaurant. Very good, with lots of interesting flavors. There
      are several of them in London. One right off of Queensway in Bayswater.

      As for Museums - Don't forget the Victoria and Albert. It's got a great
      collection of stuff! Costumers are particularly fond of the V&A for
      their clothing exhibits. Although it is huge, the floors are easily laid
      out and most exhibits reasonably sized. The British Library is also fun!
      They have several modest sized exhibits if you don't want to feel
      overwhelmed.

      The Tower is a lot of fun, but requires a lot of walking. Wait until you
      have more energy.

      Always remember, the Internet is your friend. You can go to all the
      museum websites and find out when they are open, costs, and who has
      exhibits you like before you even go to London, making your time more
      meaningful.

      Hope whatever is sending you to London gets better and you can have some
      fun there.
      Prayers are with you.
      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      lezlie1@... wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      > I may be traveling to London -- the Paddington area -- in October for
      > medical reasons; I won't have a lot of time or energy to do much
      > sight-seeing (alas!) but would like any advice on lodging, dining or easy
      > to get to attractions that you are willing to send. Not the best of
      > reasons for my first visit-- I will probably be alone and be there 10-14
      > days. I will also have to return several times after that. Thank you,
      > Lezlie

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006
        Lisa wrote:

        >There were several nice looking Best Westerns in that part of London, we
        >walked by them when we were staying there last year. Yes, an Amercan
        >franchise, but each hotel is individually owned, so they do have
        >personality, the prices at several of them are reasonable, and they
        >seemed nicer than the one we were staying at. Also they have High Speed
        >Internet and more comfort features. And you want comfort when you are
        >not well. So if you can afford it, go there. Best Western has a website
        >and they will show you their London Properties from a query at the front
        >page.

        A few years ago my wife and I stayed for a couple of nights at the Best
        Western Paddington Court hotel. The rate was good, but the room was
        uncomfortably small even by London standards (the "double" bed was more
        like a slightly wider twin/single bed), the staff was surly, and the
        breakfast was mediocre. We expected much better on the basis of the Best
        Western website. Some of the folks posting complaints on the Tripadvisor
        site had it even worse.

        The best hotel in the Paddington area that I know (and the only other hotel
        I've stayed in in that part of London) is the Paddington Hilton, connected
        to the rail/Underground station: lovely Art Deco decor, good breakfast,
        great location. It used to be one of the great railway hotels. But it's
        expensive unless one can find a discount deal, as Christina and I did the
        one time we stayed there.

        As for London attractions, I must put in a plug for Sir John Soane's Museum
        in Holborn. Soane was one of the great English architects and art
        collectors. My wife was the Museum's librarian for more than twenty years,
        and we had our wedding reception there.

        Wayne

      • Lisa Harrigan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
          Sad to hear the Best Western was so crappy in London. We stayed at
          several in both Great Britain and Ireland and had wonderful service at
          all of them. Goes to show you how independent they all are.

          And many of the hotels we stayed at in our trip last year had small
          cramped rooms with impossible beds, including all three that we used in
          London. It may be that you can have affordable or you can have space,
          but you can't have both in London. Not too surprising since everyone
          wants to go to London.

          And we only had one place we stayed at in London that had a decent
          breakfast (though the room was small and very filled with the double bed
          and rollaway for Moose). One had a real limited, no cooking required,
          breakfast (but an almost decent size room with 3 single beds in it
          (after we got switched from a room with no circulation, no space, and a
          very crooked floor), and one had nothing at all, even though they
          claimed to have it on their website!

          Needless to say, I haven't been really impressed with London hotels.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
            I've stayed at a Best Western in central London (not the same one Wayne
            Hammond stayed in), and it was equally bad: relatively inexpensive but
            still overpriced room, very tiny and otherwise unappealing room, no
            breakfast included, etc.

            However, I've stayed in Best Westerns in England outside London and they
            were both excellent. One of them was excellent on two separate occasions.

            I conclude the problem lies more with London than with Best Westerns. A
            Best Western in the middle of Florence, Italy, was kind of cramped but
            decent, and the breakfast was included and good.

            When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
            prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
            all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
            stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
            facilities to find me a place in the next town.

            David Bratman
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
              In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:03:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
              prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
              all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
              stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
              facilities to find me a place in the next town.

              Yes, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfasts), not at hotels. Most of them that
              I've stayed at are actually entire houses converted into guest accommodations
              (including living space for the owners/managers), but I've always heard them
              referred to as B&B's. You will often get to talk to the owner as you eat
              breakfast. You can find a number of websites for finding bed and breakfasts in
              London just by Googling on the words "bed and breakfasts" and "London". If
              you're traveling around, go to Tourist Information in the town you're
              currently in one day before you leave and ask to book a room in the next town. All
              hotel and B&B rooms are comparatively small in the U.K. Don't expect to find
              American-sized rooms.

            • Lezlie
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
                Hello-- Thank you everyone for all of your excellent travel advice. I
                found a nice little B & B that caters somewhat to women traveling
                alone & near to the hospital :The Darlington. I have also been
                contacted by an old friend who offered his daughter's flat in central
                London for my 2nd trip -- and for all the pub and folk club &
                bookstore addresses-- thank you & all are on my list! I will also be
                able to travel into the Northern areas and take a "look-see" around
                the winter landscapes, thanks to the links you have all sent.
                I've love to arrange a cup of tea or coffee and chat about
                Tolkien with anyone feeling sociable while I'm there. Lezlie