Ellen Kushner's "Sound and Spirit"

  • jchristopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2006
      Has anyone else heard Ellen Kushner's "Sound and Spirit" this week over NPR?
      I heard it by chance when driving from Stephenville to Fort Worth last Sunday.
      This program was on Tolkien, with a number of snippets of Tolkien-inspired
      music. I since have gone to the "Sound and Spirit" website (the right one,
      there being several) and printed off the playlist, the program's Tolkien
      bibliography of books and weblinks, and "Ellen Kushner's list of Fantasy It's
      OK to Read." I haven't gone so far as to send money for a copy of the script,
      but I'm tempted. There's a connection titled "Listen," which I assume means
      the program is available.

      --Joe
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2006
        Joe -

        Kushner's Tolkien program was a repeat that was first broadcast about three
        years ago. I heard it when it was first broadcast. I believe it's come
        around on repeats before and should do so again. It's a fine program: not
        a history of Tolkien and music (as my Mythcon presentations were) but more
        an impressionistic walk through musics associated with the cultures that
        inspired LOTR, musical settings of Tolkien's poems and music with allusions
        to Tolkien, and music that just reminds Kushner of Tolkien (which is where
        Sibelius comes in, and I agree).

        David Bratman
      • jbigelow@pcisys.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 29, 2006
          Joe,

          I've only heard it online, as no radio station anywhere near me carries
          it. If you go to the alphabetical list of programs you'll find a lot of
          previous broadcasts--I'm not sure it's everything they ever did, but it
          would give you something to listen to for quite awhile. It's a great
          progrm generally, imho.

          Jane