RE: [mythsoc] Re: Landscape With Dragons

  • Jay Hershberger
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 28, 2006
      Hi folks,

      Perhaps one point worth some attention in all of this is that O'Brien is
      writing for Christian parents. Whether one agrees or disagrees with his
      premises and conclusions, he seems interested in helping Christian
      parents navigate the fantasy culture in modern society. I have not read
      the book, but I have read some reviews online, and his work seems
      helpful for those Christian parents who express concern about the
      fantasy culture today (and there are many out there who do express this
      concern). If they can become more informed and thoughtful about the
      value of reading Tolkien and Co., perhaps O'Brien is doing good service
      for the cause.

      It seems that O'Brien's focus is pastoral (or giving counsel, if you
      will). This is probably not the book to buy if you are looking for
      critical literary perspectives. There are those Christians who would
      disagree with O'Brien from opposite viewpoints. That's okay and
      probably healthy, too. I have yet to read a single book on the Inklings
      that got it all correct. That guarantees there will be more, which is a
      good thing, in my opinion.

      Cheers,

      Jay Hershberger
      Moorhead, MN

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan