Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 2268

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 11:30 AM
      On 28 Aug 2006 09:05:46 -0000, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Well, he's got two assumptions there that are open to question. One, that symbols never change meaning, and two, that dragons are evil. Call me a heretic if you like, but aren't there ancient cultures in this world who view dragons as wise and good?

      You're right about the presuppositions and that's what makes his book
      mighty weak. However (and this was what I was responding to), calling
      his book a 'fundamentalist "fantasy is anti-Christian" screed' is a
      bit unfair to the actual argument he makes. A better discussion would
      be whether we can agree or disagree with his argument without making
      presuppositions ourselves.

      --
      Matthew Winslow
      mwinslow@...

      Currently Reading: The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy