Re: General

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
      Welcome to the new participants, "hi" to Diane, and an introduction.

      I'm Mary Stolzenbach, more than middle-aged, residing in Brentwood Tennessee,
      a 20 or 25 yr member of the Mythopoeic Society and a new member of this List.

      I hope our new members will seriously consider coming to the Mythcon this
      summer in Milwaukee, where our beloved authors will be discussed morning,
      noon and night, with a special focus on Tolkien this year. I don't know a
      more fun way to spend a weekend.

      If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
      three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
      quite serious project.

      The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

      Some of us of course find =no= film adaptations adequate, but there are some
      interesting pages of art with their conceptions of certain scenes, an
      interesting page of possibilities for casting, and a discussion board for
      those who want to pitch in.

      Since the subject seems to be leaning towards Tolkien, what about a
      discussion of him during the weeks to come? I'm just about ready to start a
      re-read of LOTR in preparation for the Con, and looking forward to it =very=
      much.

      For more discussion of Lewis, see also Mere Lewis web page at:
      http://members.aol.com/dwalheim/merelewis.html

      where you can sign on to the MereLewis list.

      Also, Mythies like to discuss recent fantasy which is, or may be, in the
      tradition of the Inklings.

      Mary S
    • Staci Dumoski
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
        On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 Stolzi@... wrote:

        > If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
        > three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
        > quite serious project.
        >
        > The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

        Additionally, the official production web site is up at
        http://www.lordoftherings.net/

        There isn't much there yet, but there are really lovely conceptual
        drawings/photos (some are a combo); if they can achieve the vision
        expressed there, they'll be halfway to a good film. Of course, the rest
        will depend on script and casting...

        And yes, they did spell "Gandalf" as "Gandolf" in one of the captions.
        Hopefully, it was just a slip of the fingers...

        Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
        Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
        editor@... http://www.phantastes.com
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
          Diane Baker wrote:

          > Essentially, allows a forum for discussion of literature about Tolkien,
          > C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams.

          Forgot to add that we also discuss other fantasy, and nominate current
          books for the Mythopoeic Awards, given annually at the Mythcon. We do
          three awards: scholarship, children's and adult fantasy. Would love to
          hear about some of the Celtic lore you've been reading. ---djb.
        • Jerome J. Schultz II
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
            At 12:45 PM 6/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: Stolzi@...
            >If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
            >three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
            >quite serious project.
            >The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

            Mellyn,

            I have also been provided a link to a great site which appears to be the
            official movie page. With sketches based on the guidance of Alan Lee and John
            Howe.

            http://www.lordoftherings.net/index.html

            If you double-click on the sketches you will be provided a much more detailed
            piece of art. I especially enjoyed the unlabeled pieces.

            Namarie,

            Jerry Schultz
          • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
              Jim,
              I can't believe the amount of email I have recieved by my query. I am
              not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
              were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.
              The other authors that you have mentioned are not known to me. My own
              forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
              Tanith Lee.
              Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
              conversed at times.
              Thank you for the letter,
              Diolch yn fawr.
              Ron Speer
            • Jim Bohannon
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
                FrMacKen@... wrote:

                > From: FrMacKen@...
                >
                > Jim,
                > I can't believe the amount of email I have received by my query.

                Hey Ron, it looks like our naive questions helped bring the list
                wonderfully to life! I'm glad you posted something.

                > I am not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
                > were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.

                Yes, they were part of the group known as the Inklings. C. S. Lewis
                claims to have been influenced by George MacDonald. Yes there is
                significant interconnection between Tolkein and Lewis. Please, give
                them a try. I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am
                excited about this!

                > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
                > Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
                > conversed at times.

                I am familiar with Tanith Lee and Terri Windling. Just curious, aren't
                these authors associated more with the contemporary horror genre? I
                would really like to learn more about their work. Many thanks!

                Blessings,
                Jim
              • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                  In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  bohannon@... writes:

                  > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                  > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
                  > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
                  > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
                  >
                  > Blessings,
                  >
                  > Jim Bohannon
                  > Milledgeville, Georgia
                  Jim,
                  when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.

                  Leslie Maloney

                  A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
                  seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
                  and some good company.
                  Damn, Virginia is boring.

                  (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)
                • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                    So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                    give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.

                    Leslie Maloney,
                    Hampton, VA
                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                      In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      LeslieJ55@... writes:

                      > old Mythie feeling lonely

                      Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
                      there.

                      Mary S
                    • Diane Baker
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                        LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                        > From: LeslieJ55@...
                        >
                        > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > bohannon@... writes:
                        >
                        > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                        > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
                        > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
                        > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
                        > >
                        > > Blessings,
                        > >
                        > > Jim Bohannon
                        > > Milledgeville, Georgia
                        > Jim,
                        > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
                        >
                        > Leslie Maloney
                        >
                        > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
                        > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
                        > and some good company.
                        > Damn, Virginia is boring.
                        >
                        > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

                        Leslie:

                        I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
                        maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

                        Another aging hobbit
                        with a penchant for Earl Grey.
                      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                          LeslieJ55@... writes:

                          > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                          > > MacDonald.

                          There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                          simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                          quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                          were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                          Mary S
                        • Wayne G. Hammond
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                            Mary wrote:

                            >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                            >> > MacDonald.
                            >
                            >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                            >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                            >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                            >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                            It's:

                            Johannesen Printing and Publishing
                            P.O. Box 24
                            Whitethorn, CA 95589

                            Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

                            Wayne Hammond
                          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                                Jim Bohannon wrote:

                                > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                                >
                                > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > From: FrMacKen@...
                                > >
                                > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                                > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                                > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                                I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                                so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                                see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                                > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                                > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                                > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                                I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                                Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                                me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                                enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                                De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                                like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                                people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                                far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                                and
                                Dream.* ---djb.

                                > Blessings,
                                > Jim
                              • Diane Baker
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                                  LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                                  > From: LeslieJ55@...
                                  >
                                  > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                                  > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                                  >
                                  > Leslie Maloney,
                                  > Hampton, VA

                                  Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                                  Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                                  Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                                  cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                                  geography? ---djb.