Re: [mythsoc] Re: A Landscape with Dragons

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 27, 2006
      >While I disagree strongly with O'Brien's conclusions, I must come to
      >his defense that the book was much more nuanced than that. Yes,
      >O'Brien is an extremely conservative Catholic, but his argument is
      >that certain symbols can never change in meaning, so a dragon is
      >always evil and that anyone who tries to make a dragon good is wrong
      >and committing sin.

      Well, he's got two assumptions there that are open to question. One, that symbols never change meaning, and two, that dragons are evil. Call me a heretic if you like, but aren't there ancient cultures in this world who view dragons as wise and good?

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Jonathan Michael Reiter
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
        Yes, I believe the Chinese, and Japanese... I am not sure about that, but I will go looking, for sure about that...
        Jonathan Michael Reiter
        jmr
        >While I disagree strongly with O'Brien's conclusions, I must come to
        >his defense that the book was much more nuanced than that. Yes,
        >O'Brien is an extremely conservative Catholic, but his argument is
        >that certain symbols can never change in meaning, so a dragon is
        >always evil and that anyone who tries to make a dragon good is wrong
        >and committing sin.

        Well, he's got two assumptions there that are open to question. One, that symbols never change meaning, and two, that dragons are evil. Call me a heretic if you like, but aren't there ancient cultures in this world who view dragons as wise and good?

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com

      • jef.murray
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
          Symbols for a particular culture largely _don't_ change
          meaning...Jung's life work underscored this. And regarding
          other cultures, O'Brien is basically dealing with occidental
          tradition and myth, which consistently (until the 20th century)
          depicted snakes and dragons as evil.

          Regarding the notion that anyone trying to make a dragon
          good is "committing a sin", I think that overstates O'Brien's
          case. He suggests that trying to change the meaning of traditional
          symbols confuses and can be hurtful, especially to children. This
          is consistent with a pre-modern mindset, which suggests that there
          _is_ such a thing as tradition versus "all things being relative".
          All O'Brien is doing is pointing out the same things that virtually
          any European would have told you prior to about 100-150 years ago.

          And, like Tolkien and Lewis, O'Brien would largely consider himself
          pre-modern in outlook, and quite proud of it(!).

          Jef

          > >While I disagree strongly with O'Brien's conclusions, I must come to
          > >his defense that the book was much more nuanced than that. Yes,
          > >O'Brien is an extremely conservative Catholic, but his argument is
          > >that certain symbols can never change in meaning, so a dragon is
          > >always evil and that anyone who tries to make a dragon good is wrong
          > >and committing sin.
          >
          > Well, he's got two assumptions there that are open to question.
          One, that symbols never change meaning, and two, that dragons are
          evil. Call me a heretic if you like, but aren't there ancient
          cultures in this world who view dragons as wise and good?

          > emerdavid

          > PeoplePC Online
          > A better way to Internet
          > http://www.peoplepc.com

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
            Many readers, including quite possibly Lewis & Tolkien, would know about
            Kenneth Grahame's -The Reluctant Dragon-, and those familiar with Jef's
            art know he does quite good representations of rather benevolent dragons
            as well: parenthetical observation.

            Mike

            jef.murray wrote:

            > Symbols for a particular culture largely _don't_ change
            >meaning...Jung's life work underscored this. And regarding
            >other cultures, O'Brien is basically dealing with occidental
            >tradition and myth, which consistently (until the 20th century)
            >depicted snakes and dragons as evil.
            >
            > Regarding the notion that anyone trying to make a dragon
            >good is "committing a sin", I think that overstates O'Brien's
            >case. He suggests that trying to change the meaning of traditional
            >symbols confuses and can be hurtful, especially to children. This
            >is consistent with a pre-modern mindset, which suggests that there
            >_is_ such a thing as tradition versus "all things being relative".
            >All O'Brien is doing is pointing out the same things that virtually
            >any European would have told you prior to about 100-150 years ago.
            >
            > And, like Tolkien and Lewis, O'Brien would largely consider himself
            >pre-modern in outlook, and quite proud of it(!).
            >
            > Jef
            >

            >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:
            >

            >>>While I disagree strongly with O'Brien's conclusions, I must come to
            >>>his defense that the book was much more nuanced than that. Yes,
            >>>O'Brien is an extremely conservative Catholic, but his argument is
            >>>that certain symbols can never change in meaning, so a dragon is
            >>>always evil and that anyone who tries to make a dragon good is wrong
            >>>and committing sin.
            >>>

            >>Well, he's got two assumptions there that are open to question.
            >>

            >One, that symbols never change meaning, and two, that dragons are
            >evil. Call me a heretic if you like, but aren't there ancient
            >cultures in this world who view dragons as wise and good?
            >

            >>emerdavid

            >>PeoplePC Online
            >>A better way to Internet
            >>http://www.peoplepc.com

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lezlie
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006

              > jef.murray wrote:
              >
              > > Symbols for a particular culture largely _don't_ change
              > >meaning...Jung's life work underscored this. And regarding
              > >other cultures, O'Brien is basically dealing with occidental
              > >tradition and myth, which consistently (until the 20th century)
              > >depicted snakes and dragons as evil.

              I have to admit that I don't entirely agree with this (and, some
              modern Jungian scholar-practitioners don't either). Once, dragons in
              the west were associated with the symbols of Kingship (re: the
              Arthurian Cycle, and also: Charlemagne). At some point in the Middle
              Ages, they became a symbol of "carnal knowledge" and of greed and
              "avariciousness" -- as per: the Seven Deadlies. (A medieval scholar
              could probably pinpoint the exact manuscripts, heraldic devices,
              illuminations, references and et. al., and tell us the years when this
              change occurred.) My sense is that there has always been a split
              between the ecclesiastical writings on dragons and the folk lore itself.

              The symbol has changed in modern times, possibly due to the many
              current writers & artists in fantasy who have jointly created a
              powerful, mysterious, paradoxical creature of fire and air over a
              rather long period of time. Some of those writers have delved very
              deep into the myth and lore concerning the long history of dragons and
              their cousins, and should not be discounted lightly.

              There also seems to be a mingling of East and West in the changing of
              the dragon as a symbol. (As we all realize that Eastern dragons are
              very different than Western ones.) One wonders just what Jung would
              write about it were he alive today -- as he had something to say about
              just about everything, an essay (at the very least) I'm sure. <gentle
              smile> .

              Lezlie
            • jef.murray
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
                Yes, but we both know, Mike, that dragons are deceptive.
                _Looking_ benevolent is is not at all the same as _behaving_
                in a benevolent fashion ;-)

                Jef

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@...> wrote:

                > Many readers, including quite possibly Lewis & Tolkien, would know
                about
                > Kenneth Grahame's -The Reluctant Dragon-, and those familiar with Jef's
                > art know he does quite good representations of rather benevolent
                dragons
                > as well: parenthetical observation.
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > jef.murray wrote:
                >
                > > Symbols for a particular culture largely _don't_ change
                > >meaning...Jung's life work underscored this. And regarding
                > >other cultures, O'Brien is basically dealing with occidental
                > >tradition and myth, which consistently (until the 20th century)
                > >depicted snakes and dragons as evil.
                > >
                > > Regarding the notion that anyone trying to make a dragon
                > >good is "committing a sin", I think that overstates O'Brien's
                > >case. He suggests that trying to change the meaning of traditional
                > >symbols confuses and can be hurtful, especially to children. This
                > >is consistent with a pre-modern mindset, which suggests that there
                > >_is_ such a thing as tradition versus "all things being relative".
                > >All O'Brien is doing is pointing out the same things that virtually
                > >any European would have told you prior to about 100-150 years ago.
                > >
                > > And, like Tolkien and Lewis, O'Brien would largely consider himself
                > >pre-modern in outlook, and quite proud of it(!).
                > >
                > > Jef

                > >>Well, he's got two assumptions there that are open to question.
                > >>

                > >One, that symbols never change meaning, and two, that dragons are
                > >evil. Call me a heretic if you like, but aren't there ancient
                > >cultures in this world who view dragons as wise and good?
                > >

                > >>emerdavid
                > >>
                > >>________________________________________
                > >>PeoplePC Online
                > >>A better way to Internet
                > >>http://www.peoplepc.com

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
                  "Never laugh at live dragons" was one of the first proverbs Bilbo
                  coined, after all.

                  Mike

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
                    From: "Matthew Winslow" <bluewoad@...>

                    > For O'Brien there is some redeemable fantasy,
                    > but that list is extremely limited. I haven't read the book in a
                    > number of years, so I can't recall what he found redeemable.

                    Most likely his own books. He has several several novels out, which I've
                    seen in Catholic bookstores (and nowhere else). I read his FATHER ELIJAH:
                    AN APOCALYPSE, which was at least better than the LEFT BEHIND books.

                    Berni
                  • Diane Joy Baker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006
                      Actually, it's one I'd like to read.