Native New Yorker @ MythCon37

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2006
      Greetings all,

      As you all know, with many thanks to Janet and Edith, we were able to
      screen the short film "Native New Yorker" after the banquet (and
      before my Milton Berle impersonation as Dave Emerson and Mike Foster
      have called it :-)) We are currently drafting a review of the film and
      would like to get everyone's thoughts on the film, even if its
      something minor, 1 liner, or something more in depth. The producer and
      composer Bill Sussman contacted us yesterday to gage the conference
      reaction to it, if you have thoughts on it, or would like a refresher
      on the material within it visit the film site:
      http://www.susmanmusic.com/nny/index.html
      We would like to incorporate as many of your thoughts a possible...

      Best,
      Anthony and Jessica
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony and Jessica"
        <herenistarion@...> wrote:
        > We are currently drafting a review of the film and
        > would like to get everyone's thoughts on the film, even if its
        > something minor, 1 liner, or something more in depth.

        The first thing that comes to mind is that without your commentary
        before the screening, I would never have known that the main character
        was following an old Indian trail from one end of Manhattan to the
        other. Not knowing that, the opening scene in what looks like
        wilderness becomes completely disconnected from the rest of the film.
        And the rest of the film just looks like a guy wandering around New
        York. So the film could use either a narrative, some explanitory text,
        or more visual indications to make this clear.

        -- David E.
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
          I have to agree - it was beautiful, atmospheric, even charming in the many faces of New York that we see (it made me want to see New York, which I don't often think of as a place I want to visit), but what it may have been trying to say was ambiguous. Did it want me to learn something about the native history of New York and the interaction of the modern city with the descendents of those who used to live there? Or just present images to ponder? Maybe a map of sorts at the beginning, overlaying ancient settlements and paths with the modern city, and shown again from time to time to track his progress? Or maybe I'm too linear. Beautiful, though.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          ________________________________

        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
            I too thought the film was beautiful, and the camera shots amazed me. I agree
            with a little exposition at the beginning might help those of us not as
            familiar with the history of New York. But overall a very affecting piece. True
            art. Thank you for bringing it! It added a lot of good to the Saturday night
            activities.

            Grace Monk

          • jane Bigelow
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
              "Native New Yorker" left me wanting to know more. That's a
              compliment; an awful lot of films go on longer than necessary,
              imho. I can't quite think how anyone could add in exposition without
              spoiling the mood of it. Maybe now, in this more linear medium, we
              could have some background? It was beautiful in any case.

              Jane