Call for Papers: Tolkien essay collection

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2006
      The Mirror Crack'd: fear and horror in JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
      and its Sources

      Call for Papers

      Following a successful session at Leeds International Medieval Congress,
      the organisers invite submissions for a volume of essays, related to the
      themes of the session, which continue the analysis of Tolkien?s work, its
      medieval sources, and its engagement with later medievalism. Tolkien?s
      medievalism includes his evocation of fear and horror by drawing on images
      of fear and horror that were traditional in early medieval Northern
      European myth and folklore, as well as in earlier literature.

      Topics for papers might include:
      v Dragons, demons and dark lords, aspects of the fearful imagination
      in Tolkien and his sources
      v Spirituality and fear in Tolkien?s works
      v Humanity?s continuing fascination with ancient symbols of fear and
      horror in the modern world
      v Strategies for coping with fear and horror in Tolkien?s works and
      its sources
      v Monsters and their meaning in Tolkien?s works
      v Fantasising fear in Tolkien and his literary predecessors
      v Fantastic horror - from Beowulf to the balrogs
      v The Demonising of the Middle Ages
      v Archaeological sources for literary horror
      v Celtic fantasy ? fear and horror in Welsh and Irish myths and
      legends, including The Mabinogion
      v Myth and horror ? Tolkien?s reflections.
      v The horrifying ?other? in medieval and modern fantasy.
      v Please send proposals, including an abstract (max. 500 words) by
      email to Lynn Forest-Hill education@... before December
      1st.

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2006
        Hello-- would you be willing to send this to me off-list? Yahoo hasa
        way of truncating e-mail addresses & rendering them useless -- Thanks
        Lezlie <lezlie@...>.