Article about Tolkien

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2006
      A friend just showed me an article about Tolkien in the July 26, 2006 issue
      of _The Financial Times_ (the North American edition, I assume). A historian
      and author named Martin Gilbert writes about meeting Tolkien in 1962 when he
      first came to Oxford to teach. Tolkien was already an emeritus professor at
      the time. Gilbert describes (in surprising detail) what Tolkien told him
      about his experiences in World War I. This is someone writing about a
      conversation 44 years before in which the other person talks about events more than
      44 years before that, so perhaps not all the details are correct. It's not
      much that isn't already mentioned in John Garth's _Tolkien and the Great War_,
      but someone interested in collecting everything about Tolkien might want to
      take a look at it.