Re: [mythsoc] looking for travel advice

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
      I recommend the British Museum. We stayed near there in '92 when we
      went over to attend the Tolkien Centenary Conference, and it's a
      great place to drop into when you have an hour or two to just go and
      see things. No matter what part you wander into, you'll find
      something interesting--the manuscript of Sir Gawain & the Green
      Knight, Beatles lyrics rough drafts, Assyrian statuary, Norse
      chessmen, Dr. Dee's scrying tablet, the Codex Sinaiticus, one of the
      bog-corpses, the Elgin marbles, an impressive array of Egyptian
      artifacts, &c. &c. &c. Take it at your own pace in small doses.
      And, only a block away is the site where Allen & Unwin used to
      be, someplace worth a tip of the hat from all us Tolk folk.
      Sorry to hear about the medical problems; hope the trip helps fix
      you up.
      --JDR

      On Aug 8, 2006, at 3:41 PM, lezlie1@... wrote:
      > Dear Friends,
      > I may be traveling to London -- the Paddington area -- in October for
      > medical reasons; I won't have a lot of time or energy to do much
      > sight-seeing (alas!) but would like any advice on lodging, dining
      > or easy
      > to get to attractions that you are willing to send. Not the best of
      > reasons for my first visit-- I will probably be alone and be
      > there 10-14
      > days. I will also have to return several times after that. Thank you,
      > Lezlie
    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
        Thank you -- definately on my list! Lezlie

        > I recommend the British Museum. We stayed near there in '92 when we
        > went over to attend the Tolkien Centenary Conference, and it's a
        > great place to drop into when you have an hour or two to just go and
        > see things. No matter what part you wander into, you'll find
        > something interesting--the manuscript of Sir Gawain & the Green
        > Knight, Beatles lyrics rough drafts, Assyrian statuary, Norse
        > chessmen, Dr. Dee's scrying tablet, the Codex Sinaiticus, one of the
        > bog-corpses, the Elgin marbles, an impressive array of Egyptian
        > artifacts, &c. &c. &c. Take it at your own pace in small doses.
        > And, only a block away is the site where Allen & Unwin used to
        > be, someplace worth a tip of the hat from all us Tolk folk.
        > Sorry to hear about the medical problems; hope the trip helps fix
        > you up.
        > --JDR
        >

        > On Aug 8, 2006, at 3:41 PM, lezlie1@... wrote:
        > > Dear Friends,
        > > I may be traveling to London -- the Paddington area -- in October for
        > > medical reasons; I won't have a lot of time or energy to do much
        > > sight-seeing (alas!) but would like any advice on lodging, dining
        > > or easy
        > > to get to attractions that you are willing to send. Not the best of
        > > reasons for my first visit-- I will probably be alone and be
        > > there 10-14
        > > days. I will also have to return several times after that. Thank you,
        > > Lezlie

      • Lisa Harrigan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3 2:57 PM
          Hi Lizlie

          There were several nice looking Best Westerns in that part of London, we
          walked by them when we were staying there last year. Yes, an Amercan
          franchise, but each hotel is individually owned, so they do have
          personality, the prices at several of them are reasonable, and they
          seemed nicer than the one we were staying at. Also they have High Speed
          Internet and more comfort features. And you want comfort when you are
          not well. So if you can afford it, go there. Best Western has a website
          and they will show you their London Properties from a query at the front
          page.

          We stayed near Queensway which was nice, it is a major shopping spot.
          Although the Queensway tube station was closed for renovations and the
          Bayswater was one of the stations bombed, making getting around harder
          than it should have been. *sigh* So check with the London Underground
          Website to verify which stations are open before you book a room
          anywhere. Still there were lots of shopping and food choices right there
          at Queensway. We were difinitely not starving.

          Our favorite place to eat was a place called Shish (website
          www.shish.com) A what one would find along the Spice Road type of
          fussion restaurant. Very good, with lots of interesting flavors. There
          are several of them in London. One right off of Queensway in Bayswater.

          As for Museums - Don't forget the Victoria and Albert. It's got a great
          collection of stuff! Costumers are particularly fond of the V&A for
          their clothing exhibits. Although it is huge, the floors are easily laid
          out and most exhibits reasonably sized. The British Library is also fun!
          They have several modest sized exhibits if you don't want to feel
          overwhelmed.

          The Tower is a lot of fun, but requires a lot of walking. Wait until you
          have more energy.

          Always remember, the Internet is your friend. You can go to all the
          museum websites and find out when they are open, costs, and who has
          exhibits you like before you even go to London, making your time more
          meaningful.

          Hope whatever is sending you to London gets better and you can have some
          fun there.
          Prayers are with you.
          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          lezlie1@... wrote:

          > Dear Friends,
          > I may be traveling to London -- the Paddington area -- in October for
          > medical reasons; I won't have a lot of time or energy to do much
          > sight-seeing (alas!) but would like any advice on lodging, dining or easy
          > to get to attractions that you are willing to send. Not the best of
          > reasons for my first visit-- I will probably be alone and be there 10-14
          > days. I will also have to return several times after that. Thank you,
          > Lezlie

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4 5:31 PM
            Lisa wrote:

            >There were several nice looking Best Westerns in that part of London, we
            >walked by them when we were staying there last year. Yes, an Amercan
            >franchise, but each hotel is individually owned, so they do have
            >personality, the prices at several of them are reasonable, and they
            >seemed nicer than the one we were staying at. Also they have High Speed
            >Internet and more comfort features. And you want comfort when you are
            >not well. So if you can afford it, go there. Best Western has a website
            >and they will show you their London Properties from a query at the front
            >page.

            A few years ago my wife and I stayed for a couple of nights at the Best
            Western Paddington Court hotel. The rate was good, but the room was
            uncomfortably small even by London standards (the "double" bed was more
            like a slightly wider twin/single bed), the staff was surly, and the
            breakfast was mediocre. We expected much better on the basis of the Best
            Western website. Some of the folks posting complaints on the Tripadvisor
            site had it even worse.

            The best hotel in the Paddington area that I know (and the only other hotel
            I've stayed in in that part of London) is the Paddington Hilton, connected
            to the rail/Underground station: lovely Art Deco decor, good breakfast,
            great location. It used to be one of the great railway hotels. But it's
            expensive unless one can find a discount deal, as Christina and I did the
            one time we stayed there.

            As for London attractions, I must put in a plug for Sir John Soane's Museum
            in Holborn. Soane was one of the great English architects and art
            collectors. My wife was the Museum's librarian for more than twenty years,
            and we had our wedding reception there.

            Wayne

          • Lisa Harrigan
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5 9:29 PM
              Sad to hear the Best Western was so crappy in London. We stayed at
              several in both Great Britain and Ireland and had wonderful service at
              all of them. Goes to show you how independent they all are.

              And many of the hotels we stayed at in our trip last year had small
              cramped rooms with impossible beds, including all three that we used in
              London. It may be that you can have affordable or you can have space,
              but you can't have both in London. Not too surprising since everyone
              wants to go to London.

              And we only had one place we stayed at in London that had a decent
              breakfast (though the room was small and very filled with the double bed
              and rollaway for Moose). One had a real limited, no cooking required,
              breakfast (but an almost decent size room with 3 single beds in it
              (after we got switched from a room with no circulation, no space, and a
              very crooked floor), and one had nothing at all, even though they
              claimed to have it on their website!

              Needless to say, I haven't been really impressed with London hotels.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5 11:45 PM
                I've stayed at a Best Western in central London (not the same one Wayne
                Hammond stayed in), and it was equally bad: relatively inexpensive but
                still overpriced room, very tiny and otherwise unappealing room, no
                breakfast included, etc.

                However, I've stayed in Best Westerns in England outside London and they
                were both excellent. One of them was excellent on two separate occasions.

                I conclude the problem lies more with London than with Best Westerns. A
                Best Western in the middle of Florence, Italy, was kind of cramped but
                decent, and the breakfast was included and good.

                When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
                prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
                all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
                stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
                facilities to find me a place in the next town.

                David Bratman
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6 7:39 PM
                  In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:03:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
                  prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
                  all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
                  stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
                  facilities to find me a place in the next town.

                  Yes, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfasts), not at hotels. Most of them that
                  I've stayed at are actually entire houses converted into guest accommodations
                  (including living space for the owners/managers), but I've always heard them
                  referred to as B&B's. You will often get to talk to the owner as you eat
                  breakfast. You can find a number of websites for finding bed and breakfasts in
                  London just by Googling on the words "bed and breakfasts" and "London". If
                  you're traveling around, go to Tourist Information in the town you're
                  currently in one day before you leave and ask to book a room in the next town. All
                  hotel and B&B rooms are comparatively small in the U.K. Don't expect to find
                  American-sized rooms.

                • Lezlie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 13 9:47 AM
                    Hello-- Thank you everyone for all of your excellent travel advice. I
                    found a nice little B & B that caters somewhat to women traveling
                    alone & near to the hospital :The Darlington. I have also been
                    contacted by an old friend who offered his daughter's flat in central
                    London for my 2nd trip -- and for all the pub and folk club &
                    bookstore addresses-- thank you & all are on my list! I will also be
                    able to travel into the Northern areas and take a "look-see" around
                    the winter landscapes, thanks to the links you have all sent.
                    I've love to arrange a cup of tea or coffee and chat about
                    Tolkien with anyone feeling sociable while I'm there. Lezlie