thanks and citations

  • Amy H. Sturgis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 9:53 AM
      Greetings, all! I owe tremendous thanks to Janet Croft, the Council of Stewards, and everyone at Mythcon 37 for a truly fantastic con experience.

      Several attendees requested a quick-and-dirty list of the authors (and, in some cases, particular works) I referenced by name in my Scholar GoH talk about Native American Fantasy and Native Americans in Fantasy. There are many others, of course, that would make excellent recommendations, but here is the list of those I specifically mentioned. I hope it will be useful.

      Native American Fantasy (native authors)
      Sherman Alexie
      Paula Gunn Allen ("Someday Soon")
      Vee F. Browne (Monster Slayer and Monster Birds)
      Joseph Bruchac (Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back)
      Louise Erdrich (Antelope Wife and Tracks)
      Evelina Zuni Lucero ("Deer Dance")
      N. Scott Momaday (House Made of Dawn)
      Leslie Marmon Silko (Ceremony)
      James Welch

      Native Americans in Fantasy (non-native authors)
      Michael Bishop
      Michael Chabon
      Charles de Lint
      Neil Gaiman (American Gods)
      H.P. Lovecraft (Note: As Marc Beherec pointed out, HPL's revision of Zelia Bishop's "The Mound" was inspired by the lore surrounding a burial site mound in Binger, Oklahoma - not that far from the Mythcon 37! It is available online at http://www.noveltynet.org/content/books/lovecraft/collab/html/mound.html)
      James Mooney (History, Myths, and Sacred Formulations of the Cherokees)

      Films
      Dreamkeeper (2003)
      Smoke Signals (1998)

      Again, many thanks to all of you!