RE: [mythsoc] awards

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
      Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all. The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc. I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

      As for the awards:

      Inkings: Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
      Myth and Fantasy: Jennifer Schacker, National Dreams: The Remaking of Fairy Tales in Nineteenth-Century England
      Children's: Jonathan Stroud, The Bartimaeus Trilogy
      Adult: Neil Gaiman, Anasasi Boys

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
      post? And how did the con go generally?
      --JDR

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
        From: "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>

        > Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in
        > planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all.
        > The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both
        > outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of
        > topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc.
        > I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed
        > ourselves thoroughly.
        >
        > **************************************
        > David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
        > Associate Professor
        > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        > Oklahoma State University Library
        > Stillwater, OK 74078
        > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
        > Email: d.oberhelman@...

        It should be noted, too, that David Oberhelman is one of two new stewards
        announced at Mythcon. I'm sorry -- I forgot which position David is doing.
        We also have a new webmaster (Randy Hoyt? Was that the name?) as the other
        new steward. The discussion groups position was rolled into the membership
        secretary under Marion Van Loo.

        Berni
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006