awards

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
      So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
      post? And how did the con go generally?
      --JDR
    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
        Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all. The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc. I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

        As for the awards:

        Inkings: Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
        Myth and Fantasy: Jennifer Schacker, National Dreams: The Remaking of Fairy Tales in Nineteenth-Century England
        Children's: Jonathan Stroud, The Bartimaeus Trilogy
        Adult: Neil Gaiman, Anasasi Boys

        **************************************
        David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor
        Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        Oklahoma State University Library
        Stillwater, OK 74078
        Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
        Email: d.oberhelman@...

        So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
        post? And how did the con go generally?
        --JDR

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
          From: "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>

          > Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in
          > planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all.
          > The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both
          > outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of
          > topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc.
          > I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed
          > ourselves thoroughly.
          >
          > **************************************
          > David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
          > Associate Professor
          > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          > Oklahoma State University Library
          > Stillwater, OK 74078
          > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
          > Email: d.oberhelman@...

          It should be noted, too, that David Oberhelman is one of two new stewards
          announced at Mythcon. I'm sorry -- I forgot which position David is doing.
          We also have a new webmaster (Randy Hoyt? Was that the name?) as the other
          new steward. The discussion groups position was rolled into the membership
          secretary under Marion Van Loo.

          Berni
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006