Re: [mythsoc] sad news re Mary Stolzenbach

  • jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      Mary was one of the smartest people I've ever met, and one of the
      wittiest. She also had a grace of mind that made mere tolerance look
      trivial. Her sense of humor was a delight; I must not be too solemn
      in remembering her.

      Oh, how I will miss her and her deft skewering of bad writing!

      Jane

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
        I was sorry to learn about Mary, too. I spoke with her at a couple of Mythcons
        past. For the list, she forwarded a lot of interesting information, including
        the site to determine one's Hobbit names. (After that, she signed herself with
        her Hobbit name, Diamond P.)

        Joan
        Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator, currently missing Mary
      • Wingate/Williamson
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
          Dear Grace,

          I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
          up and it bounced back.
          May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
          condolence?

          Byrd
        • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006
            Thank you for letting us know, Grace. I will always remember Mary,
            not only for her wit and her decided opinions, but also for her
            willingness to step into thankless tasks. She was a great help to us
            at the 2002 Mythcon registration room. I am very glad that she was
            with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Committee this year, as it gave all
            of us one more chance to know her.

            Pat Yarrow

          • Walkermonk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
              Her sons will be at her home this week, if you have that address. Otherwise
              you can send it to the parish and I'll make sure it gets to them. She was a
              rare friend and I will miss her greatly.

              St. Ignatius Orthodox Church
              4671 Peytonsville Road
              Franklin, TN 37064

              In a message dated 8/4/2006 10:57:02 PM Central Standard Time,
              whitby@... writes:

              Dear Grace,

              I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
              up and it bounced back.
              May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
              condolence?

              Byrd

            • Ellen
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                I was very sad to hear of Mary's passing. I only knew her from two
                Mythcons and this list, but I very much enjoyed her energy, costumes,
                and clerihews, not to mention her participation in this list and the MFA
                award committee list. I may not have always shared her opinions about
                books or other matters, but I always respected them. She will be
                sorely missed.

                I am enclosing in this email a glass of virtual invisible champagne (or
                your beverage of choice) and propose a toast : to Diamond Proudbrook.

                Ellen Denham

              • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                  I only read this today, and found it sad indeed. I did
                  not meet Mary many times (five, I think), but she was
                  a luminous person that I will never forget.

                  - Beregond
                • Anthony and Jessica
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12, 2006
                    Dear all,
                    We read briefly before leaving for MythCon 37 that Mary had fallen and
                    hurt herself--but did not learn until speaking with Edith that she had
                    passed, the news of it was posted while we were traveling.
                    We were devestated to say the least. The Nashville 2003 MythCon was
                    our first and she really made us feel welcome, and emailing us a few
                    times a week, making us feel one with the group and it was through
                    Mary we were able to know who was who when we arrived. We shall never
                    forget her warm heart and soul.
                    For those friendly with her family please send our blessings.

                    Best,
                    Anthony and Jessica

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beregond. Anders Stenström"