Re: [mythsoc] sad news re Mary Stolzenbach

  • Linda DeMars
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      I will miss her so very much. Her wit, her graciousness, her wisdom,
      her closeness to Our Lord - a rare lady and one it was an honor to know.

      Linda C. DeMars

      On 13Sun AugAug 20062004, at 16:59, Walkermonk@... wrote:

      > Dear MythSoc List,
      >
      > Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
      > funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church,
      > here in Franklin,
      > Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a
      > true friend
      > and will be greatly missed.
      >
      > Grace Walker Monk

    • jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
        Mary was one of the smartest people I've ever met, and one of the
        wittiest. She also had a grace of mind that made mere tolerance look
        trivial. Her sense of humor was a delight; I must not be too solemn
        in remembering her.

        Oh, how I will miss her and her deft skewering of bad writing!

        Jane

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
          I was sorry to learn about Mary, too. I spoke with her at a couple of Mythcons
          past. For the list, she forwarded a lot of interesting information, including
          the site to determine one's Hobbit names. (After that, she signed herself with
          her Hobbit name, Diamond P.)

          Joan
          Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator, currently missing Mary
        • Wingate/Williamson
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
            Dear Grace,

            I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
            up and it bounced back.
            May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
            condolence?

            Byrd
          • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006
              Thank you for letting us know, Grace. I will always remember Mary,
              not only for her wit and her decided opinions, but also for her
              willingness to step into thankless tasks. She was a great help to us
              at the 2002 Mythcon registration room. I am very glad that she was
              with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Committee this year, as it gave all
              of us one more chance to know her.

              Pat Yarrow

            • Walkermonk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
                Her sons will be at her home this week, if you have that address. Otherwise
                you can send it to the parish and I'll make sure it gets to them. She was a
                rare friend and I will miss her greatly.

                St. Ignatius Orthodox Church
                4671 Peytonsville Road
                Franklin, TN 37064

                In a message dated 8/4/2006 10:57:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                whitby@... writes:

                Dear Grace,

                I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                up and it bounced back.
                May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                condolence?

                Byrd

              • Ellen
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                  I was very sad to hear of Mary's passing. I only knew her from two
                  Mythcons and this list, but I very much enjoyed her energy, costumes,
                  and clerihews, not to mention her participation in this list and the MFA
                  award committee list. I may not have always shared her opinions about
                  books or other matters, but I always respected them. She will be
                  sorely missed.

                  I am enclosing in this email a glass of virtual invisible champagne (or
                  your beverage of choice) and propose a toast : to Diamond Proudbrook.

                  Ellen Denham

                • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                    I only read this today, and found it sad indeed. I did
                    not meet Mary many times (five, I think), but she was
                    a luminous person that I will never forget.

                    - Beregond
                  • Anthony and Jessica
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2006
                      Dear all,
                      We read briefly before leaving for MythCon 37 that Mary had fallen and
                      hurt herself--but did not learn until speaking with Edith that she had
                      passed, the news of it was posted while we were traveling.
                      We were devestated to say the least. The Nashville 2003 MythCon was
                      our first and she really made us feel welcome, and emailing us a few
                      times a week, making us feel one with the group and it was through
                      Mary we were able to know who was who when we arrived. We shall never
                      forget her warm heart and soul.
                      For those friendly with her family please send our blessings.

                      Best,
                      Anthony and Jessica

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beregond. Anders Stenström"