Re: [mythsoc] sad news re Mary Stolzenbach

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      From: Walkermonk@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 4:59 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] sad news re Mary Stolzenbach

      Dear MythSoc List,

      Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
      funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church, here in
      Franklin,
      Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a true friend
      and will be greatly missed.

      Grace Walker Monk

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
        Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
        funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church, here in
        Franklin,
        Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a true friend
        and will be greatly missed.

        Grace Walker Monk

        <<
        Very sad news, indeed. Mary was one of the people I most enjoyed getting to talk to at Mythcons. She had an
        acerbic wit and an
        eagle eye for bad writing -- which made her book reviews very instructive to read.
        Alexei

      • Linda DeMars
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
          I will miss her so very much. Her wit, her graciousness, her wisdom,
          her closeness to Our Lord - a rare lady and one it was an honor to know.

          Linda C. DeMars

          On 13Sun AugAug 20062004, at 16:59, Walkermonk@... wrote:

          > Dear MythSoc List,
          >
          > Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
          > funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church,
          > here in Franklin,
          > Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a
          > true friend
          > and will be greatly missed.
          >
          > Grace Walker Monk

        • jane Bigelow
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
            Mary was one of the smartest people I've ever met, and one of the
            wittiest. She also had a grace of mind that made mere tolerance look
            trivial. Her sense of humor was a delight; I must not be too solemn
            in remembering her.

            Oh, how I will miss her and her deft skewering of bad writing!

            Jane

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
              I was sorry to learn about Mary, too. I spoke with her at a couple of Mythcons
              past. For the list, she forwarded a lot of interesting information, including
              the site to determine one's Hobbit names. (After that, she signed herself with
              her Hobbit name, Diamond P.)

              Joan
              Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator, currently missing Mary
            • Wingate/Williamson
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                Dear Grace,

                I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                up and it bounced back.
                May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                condolence?

                Byrd
              • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006
                  Thank you for letting us know, Grace. I will always remember Mary,
                  not only for her wit and her decided opinions, but also for her
                  willingness to step into thankless tasks. She was a great help to us
                  at the 2002 Mythcon registration room. I am very glad that she was
                  with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Committee this year, as it gave all
                  of us one more chance to know her.

                  Pat Yarrow

                • Walkermonk@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
                    Her sons will be at her home this week, if you have that address. Otherwise
                    you can send it to the parish and I'll make sure it gets to them. She was a
                    rare friend and I will miss her greatly.

                    St. Ignatius Orthodox Church
                    4671 Peytonsville Road
                    Franklin, TN 37064

                    In a message dated 8/4/2006 10:57:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                    whitby@... writes:

                    Dear Grace,

                    I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                    up and it bounced back.
                    May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                    condolence?

                    Byrd

                  • Ellen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                      I was very sad to hear of Mary's passing. I only knew her from two
                      Mythcons and this list, but I very much enjoyed her energy, costumes,
                      and clerihews, not to mention her participation in this list and the MFA
                      award committee list. I may not have always shared her opinions about
                      books or other matters, but I always respected them. She will be
                      sorely missed.

                      I am enclosing in this email a glass of virtual invisible champagne (or
                      your beverage of choice) and propose a toast : to Diamond Proudbrook.

                      Ellen Denham

                    • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                        I only read this today, and found it sad indeed. I did
                        not meet Mary many times (five, I think), but she was
                        a luminous person that I will never forget.

                        - Beregond
                      • Anthony and Jessica
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 12, 2006
                          Dear all,
                          We read briefly before leaving for MythCon 37 that Mary had fallen and
                          hurt herself--but did not learn until speaking with Edith that she had
                          passed, the news of it was posted while we were traveling.
                          We were devestated to say the least. The Nashville 2003 MythCon was
                          our first and she really made us feel welcome, and emailing us a few
                          times a week, making us feel one with the group and it was through
                          Mary we were able to know who was who when we arrived. We shall never
                          forget her warm heart and soul.
                          For those friendly with her family please send our blessings.

                          Best,
                          Anthony and Jessica

                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beregond. Anders Stenström"