Re: [mythsoc] sad news re Mary Stolzenbach

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      Grace,
      Sad news. Yes to all you wrote about her. My first memory of her was
      her sweep of all three classes of the clerihew contest at Wheaton
      College Mythcon in 1998. She mimed chug-a-lugging the final invisible
      jeroboam of Le Seigneur des Anneaux champagne after the third award. As
      a light verse poet, she was one of the best. A lively, lovely lady.
      Rest in peace, Stolzi.

      Mike

    • alexeik@aol.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
          Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
          funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church, here in
          Franklin,
          Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a true friend
          and will be greatly missed.

          Grace Walker Monk

          <<
          Very sad news, indeed. Mary was one of the people I most enjoyed getting to talk to at Mythcons. She had an
          acerbic wit and an
          eagle eye for bad writing -- which made her book reviews very instructive to read.
          Alexei

        • Linda DeMars
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
            I will miss her so very much. Her wit, her graciousness, her wisdom,
            her closeness to Our Lord - a rare lady and one it was an honor to know.

            Linda C. DeMars

            On 13Sun AugAug 20062004, at 16:59, Walkermonk@... wrote:

            > Dear MythSoc List,
            >
            > Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
            > funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church,
            > here in Franklin,
            > Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a
            > true friend
            > and will be greatly missed.
            >
            > Grace Walker Monk

          • jane Bigelow
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
              Mary was one of the smartest people I've ever met, and one of the
              wittiest. She also had a grace of mind that made mere tolerance look
              trivial. Her sense of humor was a delight; I must not be too solemn
              in remembering her.

              Oh, how I will miss her and her deft skewering of bad writing!

              Jane

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                I was sorry to learn about Mary, too. I spoke with her at a couple of Mythcons
                past. For the list, she forwarded a lot of interesting information, including
                the site to determine one's Hobbit names. (After that, she signed herself with
                her Hobbit name, Diamond P.)

                Joan
                Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator, currently missing Mary
              • Wingate/Williamson
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Dear Grace,

                  I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                  up and it bounced back.
                  May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                  condolence?

                  Byrd
                • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006
                    Thank you for letting us know, Grace. I will always remember Mary,
                    not only for her wit and her decided opinions, but also for her
                    willingness to step into thankless tasks. She was a great help to us
                    at the 2002 Mythcon registration room. I am very glad that she was
                    with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Committee this year, as it gave all
                    of us one more chance to know her.

                    Pat Yarrow

                  • Walkermonk@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
                      Her sons will be at her home this week, if you have that address. Otherwise
                      you can send it to the parish and I'll make sure it gets to them. She was a
                      rare friend and I will miss her greatly.

                      St. Ignatius Orthodox Church
                      4671 Peytonsville Road
                      Franklin, TN 37064

                      In a message dated 8/4/2006 10:57:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                      whitby@... writes:

                      Dear Grace,

                      I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                      up and it bounced back.
                      May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                      condolence?

                      Byrd

                    • Ellen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                        I was very sad to hear of Mary's passing. I only knew her from two
                        Mythcons and this list, but I very much enjoyed her energy, costumes,
                        and clerihews, not to mention her participation in this list and the MFA
                        award committee list. I may not have always shared her opinions about
                        books or other matters, but I always respected them. She will be
                        sorely missed.

                        I am enclosing in this email a glass of virtual invisible champagne (or
                        your beverage of choice) and propose a toast : to Diamond Proudbrook.

                        Ellen Denham

                      • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                          I only read this today, and found it sad indeed. I did
                          not meet Mary many times (five, I think), but she was
                          a luminous person that I will never forget.

                          - Beregond
                        • Anthony and Jessica
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 12, 2006
                            Dear all,
                            We read briefly before leaving for MythCon 37 that Mary had fallen and
                            hurt herself--but did not learn until speaking with Edith that she had
                            passed, the news of it was posted while we were traveling.
                            We were devestated to say the least. The Nashville 2003 MythCon was
                            our first and she really made us feel welcome, and emailing us a few
                            times a week, making us feel one with the group and it was through
                            Mary we were able to know who was who when we arrived. We shall never
                            forget her warm heart and soul.
                            For those friendly with her family please send our blessings.

                            Best,
                            Anthony and Jessica

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beregond. Anders Stenström"