sad news re Mary Stolzenbach

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      Dear MythSoc List,

      Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
      funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church, here in Franklin,
      Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a true friend
      and will be greatly missed.

      Grace Walker Monk

    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
        I never met Mary face to face; I knew her only through the Mythsoc and
        Gunroom lists, but I feel as if I have lost someone very dear to me--as indeed I
        have. The world is poorer tonight.

        J.A. McConney

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
          Grace,
          Sad news. Yes to all you wrote about her. My first memory of her was
          her sweep of all three classes of the clerihew contest at Wheaton
          College Mythcon in 1998. She mimed chug-a-lugging the final invisible
          jeroboam of Le Seigneur des Anneaux champagne after the third award. As
          a light verse poet, she was one of the best. A lively, lovely lady.
          Rest in peace, Stolzi.

          Mike

        • alexeik@aol.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
              Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
              funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church, here in
              Franklin,
              Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a true friend
              and will be greatly missed.

              Grace Walker Monk

              <<
              Very sad news, indeed. Mary was one of the people I most enjoyed getting to talk to at Mythcons. She had an
              acerbic wit and an
              eagle eye for bad writing -- which made her book reviews very instructive to read.
              Alexei

            • Linda DeMars
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                I will miss her so very much. Her wit, her graciousness, her wisdom,
                her closeness to Our Lord - a rare lady and one it was an honor to know.

                Linda C. DeMars

                On 13Sun AugAug 20062004, at 16:59, Walkermonk@... wrote:

                > Dear MythSoc List,
                >
                > Our dear friend Mary Stolzenbach died today, Thursday, August 3rd. Her
                > funeral will be at her home parish, St. Ignatius Orthodox Church,
                > here in Franklin,
                > Tennessee, on Monday, August 7th. She was a wonderful person and a
                > true friend
                > and will be greatly missed.
                >
                > Grace Walker Monk

              • jane Bigelow
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Mary was one of the smartest people I've ever met, and one of the
                  wittiest. She also had a grace of mind that made mere tolerance look
                  trivial. Her sense of humor was a delight; I must not be too solemn
                  in remembering her.

                  Oh, how I will miss her and her deft skewering of bad writing!

                  Jane

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                    I was sorry to learn about Mary, too. I spoke with her at a couple of Mythcons
                    past. For the list, she forwarded a lot of interesting information, including
                    the site to determine one's Hobbit names. (After that, she signed herself with
                    her Hobbit name, Diamond P.)

                    Joan
                    Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator, currently missing Mary
                  • Wingate/Williamson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Dear Grace,

                      I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                      up and it bounced back.
                      May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                      condolence?

                      Byrd
                    • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006
                        Thank you for letting us know, Grace. I will always remember Mary,
                        not only for her wit and her decided opinions, but also for her
                        willingness to step into thankless tasks. She was a great help to us
                        at the 2002 Mythcon registration room. I am very glad that she was
                        with the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Committee this year, as it gave all
                        of us one more chance to know her.

                        Pat Yarrow

                      • Walkermonk@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
                          Her sons will be at her home this week, if you have that address. Otherwise
                          you can send it to the parish and I'll make sure it gets to them. She was a
                          rare friend and I will miss her greatly.

                          St. Ignatius Orthodox Church
                          4671 Peytonsville Road
                          Franklin, TN 37064

                          In a message dated 8/4/2006 10:57:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                          whitby@... writes:

                          Dear Grace,

                          I am so sorry. I tried to send a message to the place her son had set
                          up and it bounced back.
                          May she rest in Peace. Is there an address to send a card or other
                          condolence?

                          Byrd

                        • Ellen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                            I was very sad to hear of Mary's passing. I only knew her from two
                            Mythcons and this list, but I very much enjoyed her energy, costumes,
                            and clerihews, not to mention her participation in this list and the MFA
                            award committee list. I may not have always shared her opinions about
                            books or other matters, but I always respected them. She will be
                            sorely missed.

                            I am enclosing in this email a glass of virtual invisible champagne (or
                            your beverage of choice) and propose a toast : to Diamond Proudbrook.

                            Ellen Denham

                          • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                              I only read this today, and found it sad indeed. I did
                              not meet Mary many times (five, I think), but she was
                              a luminous person that I will never forget.

                              - Beregond
                            • Anthony and Jessica
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 12, 2006
                                Dear all,
                                We read briefly before leaving for MythCon 37 that Mary had fallen and
                                hurt herself--but did not learn until speaking with Edith that she had
                                passed, the news of it was posted while we were traveling.
                                We were devestated to say the least. The Nashville 2003 MythCon was
                                our first and she really made us feel welcome, and emailing us a few
                                times a week, making us feel one with the group and it was through
                                Mary we were able to know who was who when we arrived. We shall never
                                forget her warm heart and soul.
                                For those friendly with her family please send our blessings.

                                Best,
                                Anthony and Jessica

                                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beregond. Anders Stenström"