Re: [mythsoc] Query on Tolkien film

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      This is probably "J.R.R.T: A FILM PORTRAIT OF J. R. R. TOLKIEN", 110
      minutes, copyright 1992 by "The Tolkien Partnership". I have it on
      VHS, not dvd; as I recall, it was released in England on PAL format
      and the U.S. rights were bought by an educational film firm that
      charged outrageous amounts (several hundred dollars) for the U.S.
      (NTSC) version. Too bad, since it's an excellent documentary,
      incorporating for the first time some snippets from JRRT himself
      (salvaged from the 1968 BBC "Tolkien in Oxford") and includes
      interviews with Christopher, Carpenter, Rayner (I think), and many
      others. It's ponderously narrated by Judi Dench.
      The PAL (UK-tv format) video is available through The Tolkien
      Shop in Holland (www.tolkienshop.com; look under "audio", then under
      "dvd/video" and scroll down; it's the next to last item) for 17 1/2
      euroes, if he or she has access to a tv that can play PAL videos
      (some universities do, and foreign film clubs or a good local video
      rental shop might also be able to help)
      Hope this helps.
      --JDR