Query on Tolkien film

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      Passing this along for Janet Alvarez of the Tolkien Society--if you know,
      please send or copy your response to humbuckinhoney@.... Janet & I
      both came across a commercial web site selling DVDs that said this was
      canceled--does anyone know if that's true, and if so, any specifics?

      A lecturer in USA has had a course on Tolkien and Mythology accepted for
      the new academic year and is urgently trying to find a film entitled
      'Tolkien: An Authorised Film Portrait' but without success so far. amazon
      and Barnes and Noble in USA list it but don't seem to have it. Any
      information about where it may be obtained would be very helpful.

      Edith Crowe
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
        This is probably "J.R.R.T: A FILM PORTRAIT OF J. R. R. TOLKIEN", 110
        minutes, copyright 1992 by "The Tolkien Partnership". I have it on
        VHS, not dvd; as I recall, it was released in England on PAL format
        and the U.S. rights were bought by an educational film firm that
        charged outrageous amounts (several hundred dollars) for the U.S.
        (NTSC) version. Too bad, since it's an excellent documentary,
        incorporating for the first time some snippets from JRRT himself
        (salvaged from the 1968 BBC "Tolkien in Oxford") and includes
        interviews with Christopher, Carpenter, Rayner (I think), and many
        others. It's ponderously narrated by Judi Dench.
        The PAL (UK-tv format) video is available through The Tolkien
        Shop in Holland (www.tolkienshop.com; look under "audio", then under
        "dvd/video" and scroll down; it's the next to last item) for 17 1/2
        euroes, if he or she has access to a tv that can play PAL videos
        (some universities do, and foreign film clubs or a good local video
        rental shop might also be able to help)
        Hope this helps.
        --JDR