Golden Compass film news

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
      and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
      upcoming Pullman film.
      --JDR

      [[source: VARIETY]]

      Another 'Compass' point

      New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

      By DAVE MCNARY

      Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
      the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

      Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
      Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
      at London's Shepperton Studios.

      Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
      Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
      Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
      evil and rescue her best friend.

      Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
      Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

      Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
      production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
      Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
      director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
      Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
        Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
        have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
        advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
        I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
        not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
        (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
        why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
        somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
        British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
        and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
        ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
        this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
        novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
        underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
        originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
        267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
        Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
        (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
        not report it.
        I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
        obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

        --JDR