Through the Shadowlands

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
      Mentioned this to a few people recently who I thought would already
      know about it and found they didn't, so sharing the news here that
      the earlier version of the SHADOWLANDS movie is now available on dvd.
      It's been renamed THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS, presumably so folks won't
      confuse it with the remake starting Anthony Hopkins and Deborah
      Winger. Recommended. Josh Ackland is a far better Lewis than Hopkins,
      far less passive, and the guy they have playing Warnie is amazingly
      good. Claire Bloom isn't as good a Joy Gresham as Winger--too sweet
      and ethereal rather than energetic and brassy--but otherwise it's the
      better of the two films.

      --JDR
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
        and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
        upcoming Pullman film.
        --JDR

        [[source: VARIETY]]

        Another 'Compass' point

        New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

        By DAVE MCNARY

        Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
        the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

        Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
        Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
        at London's Shepperton Studios.

        Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
        Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
        Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
        evil and rescue her best friend.

        Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
        Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

        Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
        production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
        Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
        director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
        Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
          Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
          have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
          advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
          I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
          not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
          (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
          why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
          somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
          British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
          and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
          ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
          this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
          novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
          underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
          originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
          267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
          Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
          (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
          not report it.
          I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
          obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

          --JDR