Re: Bede's calendar/Tolkien's, &"borrowing"

  • ccampboyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006
      (De-lurking)

      I had a similar experience in high school (New York, about 1977)when I
      discovered the Latin title of Erasmus's "In Praise of Folly" was
      "Encomium Moria." I just had this flash "let folly be our cloak,"
      particularly since the Moria venture was Gandalf's idea.

      Cathy Boyle
      (re-lurking for another year or so.)

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

      > Interesting in general about Tolkien's ability to
      > borrow creatively from obscure sources. To name a few:
      >
      > As a teen I bought into all of his world as
      > "invented". Then in Freshman Anthropology, studied
      > early Middle East, found "Erech". Found a ref. to Mt.
      > Moriah. Pope's home; Castle Gandolfo.
      >
      > Hobbit names. My Jr. High "girls VP" was a
      > "Brockhouse". There's a "Chubb Gp." financial
      > org/ins, co. A huge real estate concern out here in
      > West; "GRUBB- Ellis". Check out those phone books in
      > England for many others!
      >
      > Senator Bilbo from the deep south many decades ago.
      >
      > Wales in 1975; Found that souvenir Welsh doll
      > named "Eirwen" (Snow White, pronounced Arwen)
      >
      > My memory of having seen someone's doll in
      > '50s with a blue tunic, yellow pants, & other
      > characteristics that popped into my head the moment I
      > read the description of Tom Bombadil.
      >
      > It felt almost psychic, to pick up these echoes of
      > cross-cultural resonance in as sheltered an
      > environment as the San Fernando Valley in 1966.
      >
      > Middle Earth is here & now!!!
      >
      > Bonnie

    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006
        I had a similar experience when I first read *The Song of Roland*. Roland's
        horn is named Oliphant, and of course this reminded me immediately of
        Tolkien's Oliphaunts, which Sam was so excited to see.