Bede's calendar and Tolkien's

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2006
      Scroll down to find a calendar of ancient Anglo-Saxon months strongly
      resembling the ones used by JRRT in his Shire Calendar. I had not realized
      he had borrowed so much.

      http://www.kami.demon.co.uk/gesithas/calendar/obs_bede.html

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2006
        Yep, from the ages of the world to the importance of March 25, all from Bede.

        > Scroll down to find a calendar of ancient Anglo-Saxon months strongly
        > resembling the ones used by JRRT in his Shire Calendar. I had not realized
        > he had borrowed so much.
        >
        > http://www.kami.demon.co.uk/gesithas/calendar/obs_bede.html
        >

        > Diamond Proudbrook

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
          I knew about Yule of course, but I thought Tolkien had invented "Lithe". Wrong. That was the first thing that caught my eye as I scrolled down the page.

          I also recognized "Thrimidge" in its Bedean form (Thrimilchi). I now find, of course, that several webpages have discussed this whole subject.

          To Bede and every other Christian, March 25 was important as the Feast of the Annunciation.

          I am theorizing that Tolkien altered the form of Eostremonath pretty strongly ("Astron") because he wants to keep hints of Christianity - OR of ancient Anglic pagan goddesses - out of his story.

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Yep, from the ages of the world to the importance of March 25, all from Bede.

          > Scroll down to find a calendar of ancient Anglo-Saxon months strongly
          > resembling the ones used by JRRT in his Shire Calendar. I had not realized
          > he had borrowed so much.
          >
          > http://www.kami.demon.co.uk/gesithas/calendar/obs_bede.html
          >

          > Diamond Proudbrook

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Powered by Outblaze

        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006

            > I knew about Yule of course, but I thought Tolkien had invented
            > "Lithe". Wrong. That was the first thing that caught my eye as I
            > scrolled down the page.
            >
            > I also recognized "Thrimidge" in its Bedean form (Thrimilchi). I
            > now find, of course, that several webpages have discussed this
            > whole subject.
            >
            > To Bede and every other Christian, March 25 was important as the
            > Feast of the Annunciation.

            It was in Bede's Northumbria (until Bede came along) New Year's Day, and for most of the Middle Ages and early modern it was also the fourth day of creation (the creation of the sun and moon), the original 14th day of Nisan (i. e. Passover) and so also the day of Passover on which Christ day, hence the actual day of the year of the crucifixion, and hence "New Life" Day, as well as the Annunciation.

            > I am theorizing that Tolkien altered the form of Eostremonath
            > pretty strongly ("Astron") because he wants to keep hints of
            > Christianity - OR of ancient Anglic pagan goddesses - out of his
            > story.

            I'd agree with that.

            Powered by Outblaze
          • Bonnie Callahan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006
              Interesting in general about Tolkien's ability to
              borrow creatively from obscure sources. To name a few:

              As a teen I bought into all of his world as
              "invented". Then in Freshman Anthropology, studied
              early Middle East, found "Erech". Found a ref. to Mt.
              Moriah. Pope's home; Castle Gandolfo.

              Hobbit names. My Jr. High "girls VP" was a
              "Brockhouse". There's a "Chubb Gp." financial
              org/ins, co. A huge real estate concern out here in
              West; "GRUBB- Ellis". Check out those phone books in
              England for many others!

              Senator Bilbo from the deep south many decades ago.

              Wales in 1975; Found that souvenir Welsh doll
              named "Eirwen" (Snow White, pronounced Arwen)

              My memory of having seen someone's doll in
              '50s with a blue tunic, yellow pants, & other
              characteristics that popped into my head the moment I
              read the description of Tom Bombadil.

              It felt almost psychic, to pick up these echoes of
              cross-cultural resonance in as sheltered an
              environment as the San Fernando Valley in 1966.

              Middle Earth is here & now!!!

              Bonnie

              --- Stolzi <Stolzi@...> wrote:

              > I knew about Yule of course, but I thought Tolkien
              > had invented "Lithe". Wrong. That was the first
              > thing that caught my eye as I scrolled down the
              > page.
              >
              > I also recognized "Thrimidge" in its Bedean form
              > (Thrimilchi). I now find, of course, that several
              > webpages have discussed this whole subject.
              >
              > To Bede and every other Christian, March 25 was
              > important as the Feast of the Annunciation.
              >
              > I am theorizing that Tolkien altered the form of
              > Eostremonath pretty strongly ("Astron") because he
              > wants to keep hints of Christianity - OR of ancient
              > Anglic pagan goddesses - out of his story.
              >

              > Diamond Proudbrook

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

            • ccampboyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006
                (De-lurking)

                I had a similar experience in high school (New York, about 1977)when I
                discovered the Latin title of Erasmus's "In Praise of Folly" was
                "Encomium Moria." I just had this flash "let folly be our cloak,"
                particularly since the Moria venture was Gandalf's idea.

                Cathy Boyle
                (re-lurking for another year or so.)

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

                > Interesting in general about Tolkien's ability to
                > borrow creatively from obscure sources. To name a few:
                >
                > As a teen I bought into all of his world as
                > "invented". Then in Freshman Anthropology, studied
                > early Middle East, found "Erech". Found a ref. to Mt.
                > Moriah. Pope's home; Castle Gandolfo.
                >
                > Hobbit names. My Jr. High "girls VP" was a
                > "Brockhouse". There's a "Chubb Gp." financial
                > org/ins, co. A huge real estate concern out here in
                > West; "GRUBB- Ellis". Check out those phone books in
                > England for many others!
                >
                > Senator Bilbo from the deep south many decades ago.
                >
                > Wales in 1975; Found that souvenir Welsh doll
                > named "Eirwen" (Snow White, pronounced Arwen)
                >
                > My memory of having seen someone's doll in
                > '50s with a blue tunic, yellow pants, & other
                > characteristics that popped into my head the moment I
                > read the description of Tom Bombadil.
                >
                > It felt almost psychic, to pick up these echoes of
                > cross-cultural resonance in as sheltered an
                > environment as the San Fernando Valley in 1966.
                >
                > Middle Earth is here & now!!!
                >
                > Bonnie

              • Walter Padgett
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006
                  I had a similar experience when I first read *The Song of Roland*. Roland's
                  horn is named Oliphant, and of course this reminded me immediately of
                  Tolkien's Oliphaunts, which Sam was so excited to see.