father christmas letters ?

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20 2:23 PM
      Good evening to all,

      I am away at the moment and cannot check my books : does anyone know where the Father Christmas Letters, the manuscripts, are ?
      I was asked by a European institution, wondering about the location of the original letters.

      thanks in advance,
      Vincent

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20 2:47 PM
        I'm pretty sure they're in the Bodleian. At least, this was the conclusion I came to while researching "Manuscripts by Tolkien" for the Tolkien Encyclopedia (edited by Mike Drout), and it hasn't been challenged in fact checking. :) I don't have my notes handy, or I could give you a more definitive basis for this, but that's who has them, I believe. (It is possible that one of two individual letters may be in other collections.)

        Jason

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20 2:54 PM
          The ones reproduced in the most recent Houghton Mifflin edition are in the Bodleian as stated on the copyright page.

          **************************************
          David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          Oklahoma State University Library
          Stillwater, OK 74078
          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20 3:03 PM
            > The ones reproduced in the most recent Houghton Mifflin edition are in the Bodleian
            > as stated on the copyright page.

            And there you go! At least somebody had a copy handy to confirm. Thanks, David. :)