Minas Tirith and Constantinople

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10 7:51 AM
      I remember a paper delivered at the 1987 Mythcon in Milwaukee on this subject.
      Does anyone else?

      Joan
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 26 3:25 PM
        Mentioned this to a few people recently who I thought would already
        know about it and found they didn't, so sharing the news here that
        the earlier version of the SHADOWLANDS movie is now available on dvd.
        It's been renamed THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS, presumably so folks won't
        confuse it with the remake starting Anthony Hopkins and Deborah
        Winger. Recommended. Josh Ackland is a far better Lewis than Hopkins,
        far less passive, and the guy they have playing Warnie is amazingly
        good. Claire Bloom isn't as good a Joy Gresham as Winger--too sweet
        and ethereal rather than energetic and brassy--but otherwise it's the
        better of the two films.

        --JDR
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
          and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
          upcoming Pullman film.
          --JDR

          [[source: VARIETY]]

          Another 'Compass' point

          New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

          By DAVE MCNARY

          Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
          the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

          Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
          Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
          at London's Shepperton Studios.

          Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
          Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
          Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
          evil and rescue her best friend.

          Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
          Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

          Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
          production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
          Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
          director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
          Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
            Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
            have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
            advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
            I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
            not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
            (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
            why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
            somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
            British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
            and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
            ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
            this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
            novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
            underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
            originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
            267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
            Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
            (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
            not report it.
            I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
            obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

            --JDR