Re: [mythsoc] Minas Tirith and Constantinople

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
      > [Carl F. Hostetter wrote]
      > A line of questioning Tolkien himself addressed in Letter 297:

      Ack! I hadn't come across that yet. There wasn't an entry for Uruk (or Erech) in my copy of Letters, so I'd missed it on my initial (quick) survey. So just out of curiosity, after your astute reply, I took a look at the Hammond/Scull expanded index to the letters (I don't have the updated copy myself, but one can browse through the complete index on Amazon.com): Uruk still isn't in there, but Erech is. :)

      Thanks for pointing this out, Carl.

      Jason
    • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
        I remember a paper delivered at the 1987 Mythcon in Milwaukee on this subject.
        Does anyone else?

        Joan
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
          Mentioned this to a few people recently who I thought would already
          know about it and found they didn't, so sharing the news here that
          the earlier version of the SHADOWLANDS movie is now available on dvd.
          It's been renamed THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS, presumably so folks won't
          confuse it with the remake starting Anthony Hopkins and Deborah
          Winger. Recommended. Josh Ackland is a far better Lewis than Hopkins,
          far less passive, and the guy they have playing Warnie is amazingly
          good. Claire Bloom isn't as good a Joy Gresham as Winger--too sweet
          and ethereal rather than energetic and brassy--but otherwise it's the
          better of the two films.

          --JDR
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
            and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
            upcoming Pullman film.
            --JDR

            [[source: VARIETY]]

            Another 'Compass' point

            New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

            By DAVE MCNARY

            Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
            the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

            Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
            Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
            at London's Shepperton Studios.

            Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
            Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
            Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
            evil and rescue her best friend.

            Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
            Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

            Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
            production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
            Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
            director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
            Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
              Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
              have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
              advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
              I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
              not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
              (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
              why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
              somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
              British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
              and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
              ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
              this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
              novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
              underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
              originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
              267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
              Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
              (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
              not report it.
              I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
              obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

              --JDR