Re: [mythsoc] "Mere Humanity", "Literary Giants"

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hey, it's what we're here for :)

      DP

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: John D Rateliff

      So it was: MYTHPRINT #290/291 (May/June 06), pages 13-14. Thanks for
      pointing this out to me; I'd missed it.
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
        > [Carl F. Hostetter wrote]
        > A line of questioning Tolkien himself addressed in Letter 297:

        Ack! I hadn't come across that yet. There wasn't an entry for Uruk (or Erech) in my copy of Letters, so I'd missed it on my initial (quick) survey. So just out of curiosity, after your astute reply, I took a look at the Hammond/Scull expanded index to the letters (I don't have the updated copy myself, but one can browse through the complete index on Amazon.com): Uruk still isn't in there, but Erech is. :)

        Thanks for pointing this out, Carl.

        Jason
      • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
          I remember a paper delivered at the 1987 Mythcon in Milwaukee on this subject.
          Does anyone else?

          Joan
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
            Mentioned this to a few people recently who I thought would already
            know about it and found they didn't, so sharing the news here that
            the earlier version of the SHADOWLANDS movie is now available on dvd.
            It's been renamed THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS, presumably so folks won't
            confuse it with the remake starting Anthony Hopkins and Deborah
            Winger. Recommended. Josh Ackland is a far better Lewis than Hopkins,
            far less passive, and the guy they have playing Warnie is amazingly
            good. Claire Bloom isn't as good a Joy Gresham as Winger--too sweet
            and ethereal rather than energetic and brassy--but otherwise it's the
            better of the two films.

            --JDR
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
              and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
              upcoming Pullman film.
              --JDR

              [[source: VARIETY]]

              Another 'Compass' point

              New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

              By DAVE MCNARY

              Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
              the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

              Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
              Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
              at London's Shepperton Studios.

              Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
              Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
              Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
              evil and rescue her best friend.

              Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
              Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

              Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
              production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
              Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
              director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
              Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
                Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
                have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
                advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
                I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
                not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
                (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
                why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
                somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
                British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
                and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
                ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
                this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
                novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
                underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
                originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
                267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
                Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
                (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
                not report it.
                I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
                obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

                --JDR