Re: [mythsoc] "Mere Humanity", "Literary Giants"

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
      On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:13 PM, Stolzi wrote:
      > MERE HUMANITY was reviewed recently (this month or maybe last) in the
      > Society's publication MYTHPRINT, by someone who =had= read it (Ruby
      > Dunlap).

      So it was: MYTHPRINT #290/291 (May/June 06), pages 13-14. Thanks for
      pointing this out to me; I'd missed it.

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
        Hey, it's what we're here for :)

        DP

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
          > [Carl F. Hostetter wrote]
          > A line of questioning Tolkien himself addressed in Letter 297:

          Ack! I hadn't come across that yet. There wasn't an entry for Uruk (or Erech) in my copy of Letters, so I'd missed it on my initial (quick) survey. So just out of curiosity, after your astute reply, I took a look at the Hammond/Scull expanded index to the letters (I don't have the updated copy myself, but one can browse through the complete index on Amazon.com): Uruk still isn't in there, but Erech is. :)

          Thanks for pointing this out, Carl.

          Jason
        • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
            I remember a paper delivered at the 1987 Mythcon in Milwaukee on this subject.
            Does anyone else?

            Joan
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
              Mentioned this to a few people recently who I thought would already
              know about it and found they didn't, so sharing the news here that
              the earlier version of the SHADOWLANDS movie is now available on dvd.
              It's been renamed THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS, presumably so folks won't
              confuse it with the remake starting Anthony Hopkins and Deborah
              Winger. Recommended. Josh Ackland is a far better Lewis than Hopkins,
              far less passive, and the guy they have playing Warnie is amazingly
              good. Claire Bloom isn't as good a Joy Gresham as Winger--too sweet
              and ethereal rather than energetic and brassy--but otherwise it's the
              better of the two films.

              --JDR
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1 9:29 AM
                Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
                and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
                upcoming Pullman film.
                --JDR

                [[source: VARIETY]]

                Another 'Compass' point

                New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

                By DAVE MCNARY

                Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
                the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

                Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
                Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
                at London's Shepperton Studios.

                Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
                Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
                Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
                evil and rescue her best friend.

                Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
                Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

                Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
                production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
                Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
                director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
                Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 10 9:56 PM
                  Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
                  have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
                  advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
                  I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
                  not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
                  (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
                  why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
                  somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
                  British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
                  and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
                  ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
                  this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
                  novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
                  underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
                  originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
                  267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
                  Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
                  (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
                  not report it.
                  I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
                  obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

                  --JDR