Re: Minas Tirith and Constantinople

  • SBolding
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
      Interesting connection. I had never thought of that
      link before. It feeds into the overall view of the
      LOTR as one of Western civilization against the pagan,
      heathen hoards. Brings to mind the fall/sacking of
      Rome too.
      __________
      Stolzi:
      'Even as a young schoolboy, I couldn't help noticing
      the uncanny resemblance between the siege of Minas
      Tirith in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and the siege of
      Constantinople. On one side, the beautiful walled city
      with its ancient nobility and the few adventurers who
      had come to help in its defence; on the other, evil
      teeming hordes under a despotic ruler. You had only to
      look at the map in the end-papers, where the land of
      Mordor loomed
      to the east like Asia Minor, to get the point.

      'Tolkien even chose the name "Uruk-Hai" for some of
      his nastiest creations, fighting forces of Sauron who
      were a cross between orcs and goblins. This
      was surely borrowed from the "Yuruk", nomadic
      tribesmen used as auxiliary soldiers by the Ottomans.
      Few readers would have known that; but most would
      have got a whiff of something Asiatic here. For one
      thing Tolkien was outstandingly good at was tapping
      into the subconscious of our own, European, cultural
      history.'

      "The worm thinks it strange and foolish
      that man does not eat his books."
      Rabindranath Tagore

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
        On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:13 PM, Stolzi wrote:
        > MERE HUMANITY was reviewed recently (this month or maybe last) in the
        > Society's publication MYTHPRINT, by someone who =had= read it (Ruby
        > Dunlap).

        So it was: MYTHPRINT #290/291 (May/June 06), pages 13-14. Thanks for
        pointing this out to me; I'd missed it.

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2006
          Hey, it's what we're here for :)

          DP

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
            > [Carl F. Hostetter wrote]
            > A line of questioning Tolkien himself addressed in Letter 297:

            Ack! I hadn't come across that yet. There wasn't an entry for Uruk (or Erech) in my copy of Letters, so I'd missed it on my initial (quick) survey. So just out of curiosity, after your astute reply, I took a look at the Hammond/Scull expanded index to the letters (I don't have the updated copy myself, but one can browse through the complete index on Amazon.com): Uruk still isn't in there, but Erech is. :)

            Thanks for pointing this out, Carl.

            Jason
          • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 10, 2006
              I remember a paper delivered at the 1987 Mythcon in Milwaukee on this subject.
              Does anyone else?

              Joan
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
                Mentioned this to a few people recently who I thought would already
                know about it and found they didn't, so sharing the news here that
                the earlier version of the SHADOWLANDS movie is now available on dvd.
                It's been renamed THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS, presumably so folks won't
                confuse it with the remake starting Anthony Hopkins and Deborah
                Winger. Recommended. Josh Ackland is a far better Lewis than Hopkins,
                far less passive, and the guy they have playing Warnie is amazingly
                good. Claire Bloom isn't as good a Joy Gresham as Winger--too sweet
                and ethereal rather than energetic and brassy--but otherwise it's the
                better of the two films.

                --JDR
              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1 9:29 AM
                  Heard the following update yesterday, courtesy of Kristin Thompson
                  and Richard West, so thought I'd share for those interested in the
                  upcoming Pullman film.
                  --JDR

                  [[source: VARIETY]]

                  Another 'Compass' point

                  New Kidman gig's 'Golden'

                  By DAVE MCNARY

                  Nicole Kidman will star in New Line's "The Golden Compass," portraying
                  the villainous and glamorous Mrs. Coulter.

                  Shooting on the $150 million production, based on the first part of
                  Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, is set for September
                  at London's Shepperton Studios.

                  Chris Weitz is directing from his own script. Brit newcomer Dakota
                  Blue Richards has already been cast for the lead role of Lyra
                  Belacqua, who travels to a parallel universe to battle the forces of
                  evil and rescue her best friend.

                  Scholastic Media's Deborah Forte is producing with Bill Carraro. New
                  Line has staked out a release date of Nov. 16, 2007.

                  Kidman's Blossom Films signed a three-year, first-look feature film
                  production deal earlier this year with 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000.
                  Upcoming films include an untitled pic with Jennifer Jason Leigh for
                  director Noah Baumbach; "Fur," a biopic of photographer Diane Arbus;
                  Warner Bros. horror pic "The Visiting"; and Warner toon "Happy Feet."
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 10 9:56 PM
                    Came across something the other day I thought I'd share: think I now
                    have an answer to my earlier question of why Lindskoog at one point
                    advanced the argument that "The Dark Tower" was written in the 1950s.
                    I was looking up something else in SLEUTHING C. S. LEWIS, which is
                    not an easy book to reference, and think I picked out the sequence
                    (my thanks to Joe Christopher for suggesting to me that the answer to
                    why Jared Lobdell had fixed on such a date was in this volume
                    somewhere). On pages 108-109 she claims that an official from the
                    British Library went to the Bodleian to look at "The Man Born Blind"
                    and later wrote her that the manuscript was written in "a light blue
                    ink that was not available until 1950". The next time she refers to
                    this blue ink, she has transferred it from the short story to the
                    novel fragment THE DARK TOWER (page 304, 376). I think this must
                    underlie her "Florence Jacobsen" scenario, the claim that the book
                    originated as a round-robin story to which Lewis contributed (page
                    267). That's all I cd turn up, aside from a reference to Douglas
                    Gresham's claim, according to Lindskoog, that DT was written in 1958
                    (page 228; see also 286-287); if he offered any evidence, she does
                    not report it.
                    I also discovered that she didn't believe CSL wrote Tolkien's
                    obituary, but I have no idea why; her references were too oblique.

                    --JDR