RE: [mythsoc] BBC NEWS | Magazine | The Somme and Tolkien

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
      Well, let me quote from my original source, the Humphrey Carpenter
      biography:

      "In the summer vacation of 1912 Tolkien went into camp for a fortnight
      with King Edward's Horse, a territorial cavalry regiment in which he had
      recently enrolled. He enjoyed the experience of galloping across the
      Kentish plains - the camp was near Folkestone - but it was a wet and
      windy fortnight and the tents were often blown down in the night. This
      taste of life on horseback was enough for him, and he resigned from the
      regiment after a few months" (p.58)

      That's as detailed as it gets, unfortunately. But I suppose rough
      walking and riding might be more pleasurable if there's a pub at the end
      rather than a drafty and uncooperative tent...

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
      http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

      ________________________________

      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
        Maybe that was for the better. Tolkien was definitely a scholar and not a warrior...
        Jonathan Michael Reiter
        jmr

        From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
        The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
        Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
        story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
        multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
        casually gallop across.
        As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
        the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
        warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
        was still actually effective.
        There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
        apocryphal.

        On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
        <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>
        <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
        <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm> >

        > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
        > bet she has
        > read it, or at least heard him speak.
        >
        > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
        > by the
        > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
        > (which
        > one?) as his authority.
        >
        > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
        > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
        >
        > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
        > well as
        > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
        >
        > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
        > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
        >
        > Diamond Proudbrook

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 12, 2006
          Did anything further come of last summer's questionable report of
          Tolkien's equestrian adventure on the Western Front?

          This week at TheOneRing.net, there is a discussion of the use that
          Tolkien makes of horses in LotR; the first part of the discussion
          appears here:

          http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/457D98CE
          00026287.html

          One respondent to that thread noted the Rev. John Waddington-
          Feather's story. There as here, some people expressed doubts (and
          having subsequently found the discussion here, I have posted a link
          in the TORn thread to this list's archives, recommending
          particularly John and Janet's responses). One participant in the
          new discussion has written to Waddington-Feather for further
          information (no response yet), but had someone here (or elsewhere,
          if you know) already followed up on that angle? Diamond?

          -Merlin DeTardo

          >>---"Stolzi" <Stolzi@...> wrote:
          >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
          >> Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the
          bottom) by the Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give
          Tolkien's son (which one?) as his authority.
          >> A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry
          horse? Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
          >> I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
          well as secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
          >> And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before -
          by me, anyway? Have any of you heard it?
          >> Diamond Proudbrook
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
            Merlin,

            I'm afraid that "Diamond Proudbuck", whom you quote in this matter,
            was Mary Stolzenbach, who passed away last summer.

            (I hoped to convey this to you privately, but your reply-to e-mail
            address in your post (<emptyD@...>) appears to be fictitious.)

            Carl
          • Merlin DeTardo
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
              Carl and everyone:

              Please accept my apologies for addressing the late Mary Stolzenbach --
              I had no idea. My belated condolences to all who knew her.

              Carl, thank you for letting me know.

              -Merlin DeTardo

              P.S. My e-mail address is not fictitious; as Carl notes it
              begins "emptyD", and it ends with "@...". -MTD

              >>--"Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
              >> Merlin,
              >> I'm afraid that "Diamond Proudbuck", whom you quote in this
              matter, was Mary Stolzenbach, who passed away last summer.
              >> (I hoped to convey this to you privately, but your reply-to e-mail
              address in your post (<emptyD@...>) appears to be fictitious.)
              >> Carl
            • William Cloud Hicklin
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                The Rev. Mr. Waddington-Feather did reply to a poster on The
                Barrow-Downs forum. I'm pretty certain that he's not a crank
                or a liar, that he really is relating what he remembers of
                what Michael T. told him years ago. The problem is that he
                may have misheard or misremembered, that Michael may have
                misheard or misremembered, and moreover Michael apparently
                wasn't above spinning a yarn.

                I doubt that any such event happened in waking life. Not only
                was Tolkien's duty and the Somme battlefield such that the
                whole story is unlikely in the extreme, but I've also
                determined that the 1 and 2 Leib-Husaren (Totenkopf) were
                nowhere near the Somme in 1916. (That leaves the 17er
                Braunschweig- anybody know where they were?)

                There is a possibility that Tolkien had a nightmare along
                those lines (although I suppose in a classic dream pattern
                that final jump would have led to awakening, not landing).
                Perhaps the subconscious source was war propaganda. After all,
                the association of skull-and-crossbones badges with German
                cavalry must have come from somewhere: and Uhlans* figured
                prominently in "rape of Belgium" stories. In fact, the story
                has some of the flavor of the "tales from the front" the
                British papers loved to print in the early days of the war,
                especially in connection with Mons (where there was a great
                deal of cavalry activity). Additionally, in fall 1914 German
                cavalry still wore their busbys and shakoes, whereas by mid-
                1916 they had gone to standard helmets.

                *Uhlan is a Polish loan-word for lancer, a term which most
                German armies adopted during or after the Napoleonic wars.
                However, in 1914 the IGS issued lances to all cavalry
                regiments, and withdrew sabres soon thereafter; Allied
                soldiers understandably called all German horse "Uhlans,"
                regardless of regiment.
              • Merlin DeTardo
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                  Thank you for that information. I'd not visited the Barrow-Downs
                  forum before. That discussion can be found here:

                  http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12979&page=1

                  The correspondence from Fr. Waddington-Feather appears in message
                  #31, posted July 5, 2006.

                  I think one small correction should be made to Waddington-Feather's
                  remarks posted there: he writes that Tolkien "was Professor of
                  English at Leeds just before I went there", but Tolkien left in 1925,
                  and Waddington-Feather, b. 1933, would have attended in the early
                  1950s. His larger point about Tolkien's lasting influence on Leeds's
                  English Dept. (at that time) apparently stands, if I correctly
                  remember Tom Shippey's comments on that point.

                  -Merlin DeTardo