RE: [mythsoc] BBC NEWS | Magazine | The Somme and Tolkien

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
      As far as Tolkien's horsemanship skills are concerned - in the summer of
      1912, Tolkien enrolled in King Edward's Horse, a territorial regiment,
      and spent two weeks in a camp in Kent in training, but resigned after a
      few months.

      A most informative article on Tolkien's horsemanship is Helen
      Armstrong's "It Bore Me Away: Tolkien as Horseman" (Mallorn 30 [1993
      Sept] pp 29-31). In it she recounts that Priscilla Tolkien told her at
      Oxonmoot in 1990 that Tolkien learned to ride as part of his basic
      officer training. Armstrong's conclusion is that Tolkien's depiction of
      horses is that of someone who did not grow up around them, but grew to
      love them after military training as a young man, though having little
      opportunity to ride after that.

      Signalling officers were trained in many methods of delivering messages
      by hand, including by horse, motorcycle, and bicycle. I have a copy of
      the 1914 training manual for signaling used by the British Army, and the
      chapter on Despatch Riding includes guidelines on when and how to use
      horses, how many miles between halts, and so on.

      (And I can see that if I ever get a chance to do a second edition of my
      book, I need to add an index entry for horses and/or cavalry!)

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
      http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
        Resigned after a few months? What could have been the matter?
        To quote Patti Smith, "Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses!" Land - Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer De, 1976.
        Jonathan Michael Reiter
        jmr
        ps; How can you tell I just dig Horses? I also dig Cats and Dogs.

        The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
        Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
        story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
        multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
        casually gallop across.
        As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
        the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
        warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
        was still actually effective.
        There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
        apocryphal.

        On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
        <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>

        > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
        > bet she has
        > read it, or at least heard him speak.
        >
        > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
        > by the
        > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
        > (which
        > one?) as his authority.
        >
        > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
        > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
        >
        > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
        > well as
        > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
        >
        > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
        > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
        >
        > Diamond Proudbrook

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
          Well, let me quote from my original source, the Humphrey Carpenter
          biography:

          "In the summer vacation of 1912 Tolkien went into camp for a fortnight
          with King Edward's Horse, a territorial cavalry regiment in which he had
          recently enrolled. He enjoyed the experience of galloping across the
          Kentish plains - the camp was near Folkestone - but it was a wet and
          windy fortnight and the tents were often blown down in the night. This
          taste of life on horseback was enough for him, and he resigned from the
          regiment after a few months" (p.58)

          That's as detailed as it gets, unfortunately. But I suppose rough
          walking and riding might be more pleasurable if there's a pub at the end
          rather than a drafty and uncooperative tent...

          <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html>

          From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
          The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
          Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
          story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
          multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
          casually gallop across.
          As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
          the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
          warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
          was still actually effective.
          There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
          apocryphal.

          On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
          > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
          <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>
          <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
          <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm> >

          > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
          > bet she has
          > read it, or at least heard him speak.
          >
          > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
          > by the
          > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
          > (which
          > one?) as his authority.
          >
          > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
          > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
          >
          > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
          > well as
          > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
          >
          > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
          > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
          >
          > Diamond Proudbrook

        • Jonathan Michael Reiter
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
            Maybe that was for the better. Tolkien was definitely a scholar and not a warrior...
            Jonathan Michael Reiter
            jmr

            From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
            The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
            Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
            story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
            multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
            casually gallop across.
            As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
            the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
            warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
            was still actually effective.
            There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
            apocryphal.

            On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
            > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
            <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>
            <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
            <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm> >

            > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
            > bet she has
            > read it, or at least heard him speak.
            >
            > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
            > by the
            > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
            > (which
            > one?) as his authority.
            >
            > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
            > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
            >
            > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
            > well as
            > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
            >
            > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
            > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
            >
            > Diamond Proudbrook

          • Merlin DeTardo
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 12, 2006
              Did anything further come of last summer's questionable report of
              Tolkien's equestrian adventure on the Western Front?

              This week at TheOneRing.net, there is a discussion of the use that
              Tolkien makes of horses in LotR; the first part of the discussion
              appears here:

              http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/457D98CE
              00026287.html

              One respondent to that thread noted the Rev. John Waddington-
              Feather's story. There as here, some people expressed doubts (and
              having subsequently found the discussion here, I have posted a link
              in the TORn thread to this list's archives, recommending
              particularly John and Janet's responses). One participant in the
              new discussion has written to Waddington-Feather for further
              information (no response yet), but had someone here (or elsewhere,
              if you know) already followed up on that angle? Diamond?

              -Merlin DeTardo

              >>---"Stolzi" <Stolzi@...> wrote:
              >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
              >> Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the
              bottom) by the Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give
              Tolkien's son (which one?) as his authority.
              >> A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry
              horse? Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
              >> I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
              well as secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
              >> And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before -
              by me, anyway? Have any of you heard it?
              >> Diamond Proudbrook
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                Merlin,

                I'm afraid that "Diamond Proudbuck", whom you quote in this matter,
                was Mary Stolzenbach, who passed away last summer.

                (I hoped to convey this to you privately, but your reply-to e-mail
                address in your post (<emptyD@...>) appears to be fictitious.)

                Carl
              • Merlin DeTardo
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                  Carl and everyone:

                  Please accept my apologies for addressing the late Mary Stolzenbach --
                  I had no idea. My belated condolences to all who knew her.

                  Carl, thank you for letting me know.

                  -Merlin DeTardo

                  P.S. My e-mail address is not fictitious; as Carl notes it
                  begins "emptyD", and it ends with "@...". -MTD

                  >>--"Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                  >> Merlin,
                  >> I'm afraid that "Diamond Proudbuck", whom you quote in this
                  matter, was Mary Stolzenbach, who passed away last summer.
                  >> (I hoped to convey this to you privately, but your reply-to e-mail
                  address in your post (<emptyD@...>) appears to be fictitious.)
                  >> Carl
                • William Cloud Hicklin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                    The Rev. Mr. Waddington-Feather did reply to a poster on The
                    Barrow-Downs forum. I'm pretty certain that he's not a crank
                    or a liar, that he really is relating what he remembers of
                    what Michael T. told him years ago. The problem is that he
                    may have misheard or misremembered, that Michael may have
                    misheard or misremembered, and moreover Michael apparently
                    wasn't above spinning a yarn.

                    I doubt that any such event happened in waking life. Not only
                    was Tolkien's duty and the Somme battlefield such that the
                    whole story is unlikely in the extreme, but I've also
                    determined that the 1 and 2 Leib-Husaren (Totenkopf) were
                    nowhere near the Somme in 1916. (That leaves the 17er
                    Braunschweig- anybody know where they were?)

                    There is a possibility that Tolkien had a nightmare along
                    those lines (although I suppose in a classic dream pattern
                    that final jump would have led to awakening, not landing).
                    Perhaps the subconscious source was war propaganda. After all,
                    the association of skull-and-crossbones badges with German
                    cavalry must have come from somewhere: and Uhlans* figured
                    prominently in "rape of Belgium" stories. In fact, the story
                    has some of the flavor of the "tales from the front" the
                    British papers loved to print in the early days of the war,
                    especially in connection with Mons (where there was a great
                    deal of cavalry activity). Additionally, in fall 1914 German
                    cavalry still wore their busbys and shakoes, whereas by mid-
                    1916 they had gone to standard helmets.

                    *Uhlan is a Polish loan-word for lancer, a term which most
                    German armies adopted during or after the Napoleonic wars.
                    However, in 1914 the IGS issued lances to all cavalry
                    regiments, and withdrew sabres soon thereafter; Allied
                    soldiers understandably called all German horse "Uhlans,"
                    regardless of regiment.
                  • Merlin DeTardo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Thank you for that information. I'd not visited the Barrow-Downs
                      forum before. That discussion can be found here:

                      http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12979&page=1

                      The correspondence from Fr. Waddington-Feather appears in message
                      #31, posted July 5, 2006.

                      I think one small correction should be made to Waddington-Feather's
                      remarks posted there: he writes that Tolkien "was Professor of
                      English at Leeds just before I went there", but Tolkien left in 1925,
                      and Waddington-Feather, b. 1933, would have attended in the early
                      1950s. His larger point about Tolkien's lasting influence on Leeds's
                      English Dept. (at that time) apparently stands, if I correctly
                      remember Tom Shippey's comments on that point.

                      -Merlin DeTardo