Re: [mythsoc] BBC NEWS | Magazine | The Somme and Tolkien

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
      Anyway, Wikipedia confirms my belief that it was "death's-head Hussars," not death's-head Uhlans.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totenkopf

      And yes, the parallel between "Morgoth's iron dragons" and armored tanks - well, it's always possible the BBC author came up with that independently, but I know that =I= heard it from John Garth.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
        Some scholar ought to beard Mr Waddington-Feather and ask to =see= his correspondence with Michael Tolkien.

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
          In a message dated 7/4/2006 11:32:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          Some scholar ought to beard Mr Waddington-Feather and ask to =see= his
          correspondence with Michael Tolkien.

          Why don't you contact the BBC (either by E-mail or by letter) and point out
          all the problems that you and others in this thread have mentioned so far?
          You've made a good case that the author of the article hasn't acknowledged her
          sources and that the letter by Waddington-Feather contains a rather dubious
          story supposedly acquired from Michael Tolkien. You're the one who's
          uncovered the mistakes here, so it should be you who points them out. No need to be
          shy about this.

          Wendell

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
            As far as Tolkien's horsemanship skills are concerned - in the summer of
            1912, Tolkien enrolled in King Edward's Horse, a territorial regiment,
            and spent two weeks in a camp in Kent in training, but resigned after a
            few months.

            A most informative article on Tolkien's horsemanship is Helen
            Armstrong's "It Bore Me Away: Tolkien as Horseman" (Mallorn 30 [1993
            Sept] pp 29-31). In it she recounts that Priscilla Tolkien told her at
            Oxonmoot in 1990 that Tolkien learned to ride as part of his basic
            officer training. Armstrong's conclusion is that Tolkien's depiction of
            horses is that of someone who did not grow up around them, but grew to
            love them after military training as a young man, though having little
            opportunity to ride after that.

            Signalling officers were trained in many methods of delivering messages
            by hand, including by horse, motorcycle, and bicycle. I have a copy of
            the 1914 training manual for signaling used by the British Army, and the
            chapter on Despatch Riding includes guidelines on when and how to use
            horses, how many miles between halts, and so on.

            (And I can see that if I ever get a chance to do a second edition of my
            book, I need to add an index entry for horses and/or cavalry!)

            Janet Brennan Croft
            Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
            http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
              Resigned after a few months? What could have been the matter?
              To quote Patti Smith, "Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses!" Land - Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer De, 1976.
              Jonathan Michael Reiter
              jmr
              ps; How can you tell I just dig Horses? I also dig Cats and Dogs.

              The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
              Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
              story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
              multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
              casually gallop across.
              As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
              the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
              warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
              was still actually effective.
              There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
              apocryphal.

              On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
              > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
              <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>

              > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
              > bet she has
              > read it, or at least heard him speak.
              >
              > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
              > by the
              > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
              > (which
              > one?) as his authority.
              >
              > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
              > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
              >
              > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
              > well as
              > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
              >
              > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
              > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
              >
              > Diamond Proudbrook

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                Well, let me quote from my original source, the Humphrey Carpenter
                biography:

                "In the summer vacation of 1912 Tolkien went into camp for a fortnight
                with King Edward's Horse, a territorial cavalry regiment in which he had
                recently enrolled. He enjoyed the experience of galloping across the
                Kentish plains - the camp was near Folkestone - but it was a wet and
                windy fortnight and the tents were often blown down in the night. This
                taste of life on horseback was enough for him, and he resigned from the
                regiment after a few months" (p.58)

                That's as detailed as it gets, unfortunately. But I suppose rough
                walking and riding might be more pleasurable if there's a pub at the end
                rather than a drafty and uncooperative tent...

                <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html>

                From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
                Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
                story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
                multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
                casually gallop across.
                As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
                the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
                warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
                was still actually effective.
                There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
                apocryphal.

                On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
                > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
                <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>
                <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
                <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm> >

                > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
                > bet she has
                > read it, or at least heard him speak.
                >
                > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
                > by the
                > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
                > (which
                > one?) as his authority.
                >
                > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
                > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
                >
                > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
                > well as
                > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
                >
                > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
                > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
                >
                > Diamond Proudbrook

              • Jonathan Michael Reiter
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                  Maybe that was for the better. Tolkien was definitely a scholar and not a warrior...
                  Jonathan Michael Reiter
                  jmr

                  From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  The "Schoolmaster" would have been Michael Tolkien.
                  Pretty much a work of fiction, I fear. Whoever came up with that
                  story doesn't take into account No Man's Land, with its deep mud and
                  multiple barriers of barbed wire -- not something a horse could
                  casually gallop across.
                  As for "Uhlans", wikipedia says some fought in the early weeks of
                  the war (e.g., summer/fall 1914) but were then dismounted once trench
                  warfare began or else transferred to the Eastern Front, where calvary
                  was still actually effective.
                  There are also minor quibbles, but let them pass. Clearly
                  apocryphal.

                  On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stolzi wrote:
                  > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
                  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm>
                  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
                  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm> >

                  > Interesting, but no mention of John Garth's book, though I would
                  > bet she has
                  > read it, or at least heard him speak.
                  >
                  > Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the bottom)
                  > by the
                  > Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give Tolkien's son
                  > (which
                  > one?) as his authority.
                  >
                  > A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry horse?
                  > Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
                  >
                  > I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
                  > well as
                  > secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
                  >
                  > And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before - by me,
                  > anyway? Have any of you heard it?
                  >
                  > Diamond Proudbrook

                • Merlin DeTardo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 12, 2006
                    Did anything further come of last summer's questionable report of
                    Tolkien's equestrian adventure on the Western Front?

                    This week at TheOneRing.net, there is a discussion of the use that
                    Tolkien makes of horses in LotR; the first part of the discussion
                    appears here:

                    http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/457D98CE
                    00026287.html

                    One respondent to that thread noted the Rev. John Waddington-
                    Feather's story. There as here, some people expressed doubts (and
                    having subsequently found the discussion here, I have posted a link
                    in the TORn thread to this list's archives, recommending
                    particularly John and Janet's responses). One participant in the
                    new discussion has written to Waddington-Feather for further
                    information (no response yet), but had someone here (or elsewhere,
                    if you know) already followed up on that angle? Diamond?

                    -Merlin DeTardo

                    >>---"Stolzi" <Stolzi@...> wrote:
                    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5133000.stm
                    >> Also I have some trouble with the comment (presently at the
                    bottom) by the Revd John Waddington-Feather. Even if he does give
                    Tolkien's son (which one?) as his authority.
                    >> A signals officer riding around behind the lines on a cavalry
                    horse? Demonic Uhlans? Reeeeally?
                    >> I suspect the scene if it ever occurred, occurred primarily, as
                    well as secondarily, in one of Tolkien's nightmares.
                    >> And if the story is true, why has it never been heard before -
                    by me, anyway? Have any of you heard it?
                    >> Diamond Proudbrook
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Merlin,

                      I'm afraid that "Diamond Proudbuck", whom you quote in this matter,
                      was Mary Stolzenbach, who passed away last summer.

                      (I hoped to convey this to you privately, but your reply-to e-mail
                      address in your post (<emptyD@...>) appears to be fictitious.)

                      Carl
                    • Merlin DeTardo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Carl and everyone:

                        Please accept my apologies for addressing the late Mary Stolzenbach --
                        I had no idea. My belated condolences to all who knew her.

                        Carl, thank you for letting me know.

                        -Merlin DeTardo

                        P.S. My e-mail address is not fictitious; as Carl notes it
                        begins "emptyD", and it ends with "@...". -MTD

                        >>--"Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                        >> Merlin,
                        >> I'm afraid that "Diamond Proudbuck", whom you quote in this
                        matter, was Mary Stolzenbach, who passed away last summer.
                        >> (I hoped to convey this to you privately, but your reply-to e-mail
                        address in your post (<emptyD@...>) appears to be fictitious.)
                        >> Carl
                      • William Cloud Hicklin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                          The Rev. Mr. Waddington-Feather did reply to a poster on The
                          Barrow-Downs forum. I'm pretty certain that he's not a crank
                          or a liar, that he really is relating what he remembers of
                          what Michael T. told him years ago. The problem is that he
                          may have misheard or misremembered, that Michael may have
                          misheard or misremembered, and moreover Michael apparently
                          wasn't above spinning a yarn.

                          I doubt that any such event happened in waking life. Not only
                          was Tolkien's duty and the Somme battlefield such that the
                          whole story is unlikely in the extreme, but I've also
                          determined that the 1 and 2 Leib-Husaren (Totenkopf) were
                          nowhere near the Somme in 1916. (That leaves the 17er
                          Braunschweig- anybody know where they were?)

                          There is a possibility that Tolkien had a nightmare along
                          those lines (although I suppose in a classic dream pattern
                          that final jump would have led to awakening, not landing).
                          Perhaps the subconscious source was war propaganda. After all,
                          the association of skull-and-crossbones badges with German
                          cavalry must have come from somewhere: and Uhlans* figured
                          prominently in "rape of Belgium" stories. In fact, the story
                          has some of the flavor of the "tales from the front" the
                          British papers loved to print in the early days of the war,
                          especially in connection with Mons (where there was a great
                          deal of cavalry activity). Additionally, in fall 1914 German
                          cavalry still wore their busbys and shakoes, whereas by mid-
                          1916 they had gone to standard helmets.

                          *Uhlan is a Polish loan-word for lancer, a term which most
                          German armies adopted during or after the Napoleonic wars.
                          However, in 1914 the IGS issued lances to all cavalry
                          regiments, and withdrew sabres soon thereafter; Allied
                          soldiers understandably called all German horse "Uhlans,"
                          regardless of regiment.
                        • Merlin DeTardo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 13, 2006
                            Thank you for that information. I'd not visited the Barrow-Downs
                            forum before. That discussion can be found here:

                            http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12979&page=1

                            The correspondence from Fr. Waddington-Feather appears in message
                            #31, posted July 5, 2006.

                            I think one small correction should be made to Waddington-Feather's
                            remarks posted there: he writes that Tolkien "was Professor of
                            English at Leeds just before I went there", but Tolkien left in 1925,
                            and Waddington-Feather, b. 1933, would have attended in the early
                            1950s. His larger point about Tolkien's lasting influence on Leeds's
                            English Dept. (at that time) apparently stands, if I correctly
                            remember Tom Shippey's comments on that point.

                            -Merlin DeTardo