Re: [mythsoc] An old fairy tale series

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
      In a message dated 6/26/00 3:20:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      > Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote _The Little Prince_, but _The Little Lame
      > Prince_ is by Dinah Mulock.

      Oh BOY did I blow that one!?! Color me red-faced.

      Yes, and I read (often) and loved the Little Lame Prince.

      Mary S
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 26, 2000
        Thanks for the information, Julia. A minor correction, though:

        All twelve of the Lang books have been in print for quite some time now from
        Dover. I think I got my copy of all twelve books about five years ago, and
        they were all immediately available at that time. It may be that Dover is
        temporarily out of stock of a couple of them and isn't reprinting them until
        later this year, but that's just a temporary condition. They've been
        offering the books in their catalog for years now.

        It now appears to me that there are three entirely different series of
        collections of fairy tales which have color names for the individual books.
        These are not reprints of the same books, but entirely different series. (Of
        course, the second and third of these series probably came about because the
        publishers said, "Hey, let's put out our own series of fairy tale books, and
        let's steal the idea of naming the books after the color of their covers from
        Lang.)

        The first series is Lang's, and it came out between 1889 and 1910. The
        second was from Whitman Publishing Company, and it came out in the '30's and
        the '40's. The third was from Little Golden Books, and it came out in the
        '60's and the '70's. Interestingly, it seems that about every 30 or 40 years
        some publisher decides to do a new series of color-named fairy tale
        collections. So someone should be doing a new series soon, I guess.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Julia Palffy
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 27, 2000
          Wendell Wag wrote:

          They've been
          > offering the books in their catalog for years now.

          Right, I do recall now seeing copyright dates from the 60's in some of the
          volumes. I know I tried looking them up in Books in Print about fifteen
          years ago, when I was hunting up anything related to Tolkien and Lewis, and
          didn't find anything, or got doubtful results. I was so delighted at being
          able to get most of the series all at once after so many years that I didn't
          pay much attention to the dates. I didn't know there had been other such
          series (I read your first posting about them after sending my own response).

          I was also able to find at long last the last volume of Meredith Ann
          Pierce's "Darkangel trilogy". I'd enjoyed the first two volumes very much
          when I first bought them - also about fifteen years ago - but the third
          volume was out of print then and was only published in paperback last year.
          I'd been very curious about the way the author finished the trilogy ever
          since I discovered her source of inspiration to have been the fantasies of
          one of C.G. Jung's patients, which he tells about in his autobiography
          "Erinnerungen, Träume, Gedanken" (i.e. Memories, Dreams, Thoughts).

          Does anyone else know these and other books by Pierce? What are the other
          ones like?

          Julia Palffy
          Zug, Switzerland
          jupalffy@...