Re: [mythsoc] Re: Rowling discussion!

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
      What's Crebain?

      On 6/29/06, visualweasel <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      > > If all the major news sources we have now existed in
      > > Middle-earth during the Third Age, and were broadcasting
      > > the Fellowship's movements and plans, then they would
      > > have been fools to think that Sauron DIDN'T know.
      >
      > CNN = Crebain News Network? ;-)

    • Linda DeMars
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
        If you have the opportunity, try to take in Jef Murray's workshop. He
        talks about Tolkien's handling of a universal longing for home as
        illustrated in his beautiful paintings. I had the privilege to hear
        a "trial run" of Jef's presentation a few weeks ago.

        Linda D.
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
          On Jun 29, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Mike Foster wrote:

          > Had JRRT experienced the same dazzling success in 1954 as JKR, and he
          > told the media that at least five major characters would face death in
          > the third volume, ooh la la.
          Indeed. And if he had, the "fault" for the "spoiler" (if it is to be
          regarded as such) would have lay with him, not with whoever
          subsequently commented on what he said to media.
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
            "Crebain" are the evil crows that spy upon the Fellowship as they
            make their way through Eregion. Cf. "The Ring Goes South" (LotR Bk II
            Chapter III).

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
              At 10:35 AM 6/29/2006 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

              >You've elevated a silent, unconscious, and completely reasonable
              >instinct to the level of a conscious and deliberate determination,

              I suggest you look in the mirror when you say that. Such a claim is only
              in your imagination.

              I am offering not castigations, but guidance for the future. If people
              didn't know before now that what appears on the home page of USA Today is
              not automatically known to the entire world the same morning, well then,
              they know it now. Perhaps they will take this into consideration. Or,
              perhaps, they will prefer to write indignant posts full of words in
              all-caps. Their choice.

              My wife informs me that the news appeared in the gossip column of our local
              paper. Which I skim over if I read it at all, as I have no interest in the
              doings of overhyped movie stars like Brad and Janet (or whatever their
              names are) who are the normal fare of gossip columns.

              It would certainly be ironic if being au courant with the morning's gossip
              columns were expected of members of a society founded to honor two men
              whose unworldliness was such that one of them had never heard of Ava
              Gardner even when personally introduced to her, and the other thought Tito
              was the King of Greece.

              Your other arguments are too absurd to be worth replying to.

              DB
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
                At 03:29 PM 6/29/2006 -0700, John D Rateliff wrote:

                >"Crebain" are the evil crows that spy upon the Fellowship as they
                >make their way through Eregion. Cf. "The Ring Goes South" (LotR Bk II
                >Chapter III).

                No, don't _tell_ him!

                Um, "Crebain" are the evil biscuits from the Lonely Mountain that the
                Fellowship ate on their journey, and that caused Boromir to go all wormy
                and Ring-lusty.

                DB
              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
                  Wow.

                  The same man who wrote, "Your other arguments are too absurd to be worth
                  replying to." also wrote, "Perhaps people will note this inadequacy in the
                  future, or perhaps they
                  will sit secure in the confidence that what they see, everybody sees. The
                  Fellowship would never have snuck the Ring past Sauron if they thought he
                  grasped everything that they did."

                  Somehow posting a note about a well-publicized interview on a book not yet
                  finished is become worth comparing to the struggles of the Fellowship of the
                  Ring. Ouucchhh. My brain just will not go into that shape!

                  I haven't giggled this much while reading email in, well, weeks. Thanks for
                  the fun!

                  Grace Walker Monk

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
                    At 11:30 PM 6/29/2006 -0400, Walkermonk@... wrote:

                    >The same man who wrote, "Your other arguments are too absurd to be worth
                    >replying to." also wrote, "Perhaps people will note this inadequacy in the
                    >future, or perhaps they
                    >will sit secure in the confidence that what they see, everybody sees. The
                    >Fellowship would never have snuck the Ring past Sauron if they thought he
                    >grasped everything that they did."

                    If the implication is that I expected that the absurdity of the arguments
                    should be self-evident, that is mistaken. The statement was only to say
                    that I acknowledged reading the arguments, but found them not worth
                    replying to.

                    >Somehow posting a note about a well-publicized interview on a book not yet
                    >finished is become worth comparing to the struggles of the Fellowship of the
                    >Ring. Ouucchhh. My brain just will not go into that shape!

                    In the Mythopoeic Society that I belong to, people make comparisons to
                    events in The Lord of the Rings all the time. Ask Mike Foster, for
                    instance, who wrote a quite sober scholarly paper comparing the Hobbits to
                    the Beatles.

                    >I haven't giggled this much while reading email in, well, weeks. Thanks for
                    >the fun!

                    You are more easily amused than I thought.

                    DB
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
                      On Jun 29, 2006, at 10:59 PM, David Bratman wrote:
                      > If people didn't know before now that what appears on the home page
                      > of USA Today is not automatically known to the entire world the
                      > same morning, well then, they know it now.
                      I suggest that while you are urging others to look in a mirror, you
                      look up the definition of "straw man". NO ONE has suggested anything
                      like this about "USA Today" or any other single news outlet. You
                      might find things less _absurdam_ if you didn't employ such straw-man
                      _reductio_.

                      I expect that USA Today carried news of the Sept. 11 attacks: does
                      that mean that no one can be expected to have learned of it? Yet,
                      alas, this is precisely the force of your "argument" here. The fact
                      is, Pat referred to the story being mentioned in a WIDE VARIETY of
                      major news sources, as shown by a simple Google search, (only) ONE of
                      which happened to be USA Today. YOU now prefer to act as though that
                      is the only one Pat mentioned.
                      > It would certainly be ironic if being au courant with the morning's
                      > gossip columns were expected of members
                      Again, you cut quite a figure of straw. No one has suggested any such
                      absurd notion; nor was the news of Rowling's statements confined
                      either to the gossip columns or to USA Today, as you would have it.

                      Condescend much?
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 29, 2006
                        At 12:38 AM 6/30/2006 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

                        >On Jun 29, 2006, at 10:59 PM, David Bratman wrote:
                        >> If people didn't know before now that what appears on the home page
                        >> of USA Today is not automatically known to the entire world the
                        >> same morning, well then, they know it now.
                        >I suggest that while you are urging others to look in a mirror, you
                        >look up the definition of "straw man". NO ONE has suggested anything
                        >like this about "USA Today" or any other single news outlet.

                        Actually, I think someone did. See below.

                        >I expect that USA Today carried news of the Sept. 11 attacks: does
                        >that mean that no one can be expected to have learned of it? Yet,
                        >alas, this is precisely the force of your "argument" here.

                        No it is not. Here we see Carl F. Hostetter completely failing to grasp
                        the difference between [see my quote above] "not automatically known" and
                        "automatically not known," the latter of which being what I'd have to have
                        written for his argument to have any validity. But I didn't. Some linguist.

                        We also have, perhaps with better excuse, his failing to remember that in
                        an earlier post I drew the precise distinction he's insisting on here. I
                        wrote: "it wasn't in big flashing headlines, so it was easily missed. This
                        was not exactly a news story on the level of, say, September 11th." You
                        couldn't read a newspaper the next day and fail to notice that one. You
                        could read one and fail to notice J.K. Rowling. There's a difference.

                        Also: if I understand the timing correctly, Pat posted on the same day that
                        he read the Rowling news. I'm not sure how early on that day, but by
                        comparison there were actually people in the world, not out in a desert or
                        on top of a mountain, who didn't hear about the September 11th attacks
                        until much later in the day. They might even have first heard about the
                        attacks by reading someone's e-mail. I heard about them in a telephone
                        call, not from a media news source at all. Only after the call, and
                        because of it, did I turn on the radio.

                        >The fact
                        >is, Pat referred to the story being mentioned in a WIDE VARIETY of
                        >major news sources, as shown by a simple Google search, (only) ONE of
                        >which happened to be USA Today.

                        Having deleted the old posts, I may be misremembering. But I recall Pat
                        saying that the home page of USA Today is where _he_ read about the Rowling
                        thing.

                        If he conducted that Google search of his before sending his first post on
                        the subject to the list, then I apologize. But I got the impression, when
                        he wrote of his search, that he had conducted it _after_ the complaint was
                        made, and did so for the purpose of defending his claim that the news was
                        wide-spread.

                        If these suppositions are correct, then it was the appearance of the news
                        in USA Today, and not the results of the Google search, that led Pat to
                        assume the news would be no spoiler. That is why I referred to USA Today.

                        In any case, if you see a news item on USA Today, you don't need a Google
                        search to reasonably conclude that it will be widespread elsewhere. All
                        the Google search provided was concrete evidence of that conclusion. It is
                        not wrong to make that conclusion, Google search or no Google search. But
                        that still makes it no less incorrect to conclude that everybody in your
                        readership will therefore have heard the news in the same day. That is the
                        point, and the whole point.

                        >> It would certainly be ironic if being au courant with the morning's
                        >> gossip columns were expected of members
                        >Again, you cut quite a figure of straw. No one has suggested any such
                        >absurd notion; nor was the news of Rowling's statements confined
                        >either to the gossip columns or to USA Today, as you would have it.

                        Again, no. Because the gossip column of my local paper is the place where
                        _I_ would have read about it, if I'd read about it at all. And I am one of
                        those who is being told that I should not have missed this story. Which
                        requires me to have read the gossip column, since I didn't see the thing on
                        any web searching I did that day either.

                        Even if you disallow that, the general point is still relevant. The men
                        who did not know Ava Gardner or Tito were not the type to be checking daily
                        newspapers every morning for the hot feature news items. And this is a
                        feature story. It's not September 11th. You seem to have trouble grasping
                        the difference.

                        DB
                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 30, 2006
                          On Jun 30, 2006, at 2:44 AM, David Bratman wrote:

                          > Having deleted the old posts, I may be misremembering. But I recall
                          > Pat saying that the home page of USA Today is where _he_ read about
                          > the Rowling thing.

                          "I stumbled across at least three stories about Rowling's "spoilers"
                          yesterday on my personal Yahoo! page (AP and Reuters) and USA Today
                          homepage".

                          THREE. Including AP and Reuters.

                          > Again, no. Because the gossip column of my local paper is the place
                          > where _I_ would have read about it, if I'd read about it at all.
                          > And I am one of those who is being told that I should not have
                          > missed this story. Which requires me to have read the gossip
                          > column, since I didn't see the thing on any web searching I did
                          > that day either.

                          So is everyone now required to poll YOU before we decide to comment
                          upon a news item or any other piece of information?

                          I'd ask YOU to spend some time in front of the mirror today
                          reflecting on the fact that you've gone out of your way to publicly
                          insult at least three people on this list, at least two of whom count
                          you as a friend, all in order to establish that, despite it being
                          reported in all the major news outlets, YOU didn't read or hear a
                          news item concerning a wildly popular series of books, and that
                          therefore it was wrong for Pat to trust his instinct that most people
                          HAD already heard the news item, again despite it having appeared in
                          at least three major news outlets; all because Pat posted a
                          lighthearted comment concerning a POSSIBLE development in a series of
                          books that you've already stated you don't care about.