Re: [mythsoc] Re: Rowling contemplates Pottericide

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
      --- Original Message ---

      > I had to drop a quick reply here to say that some people (like
      > myself) would consider this a spoiler -- even though it's far from
      > definite

      However, you'd have to be in isolation not to have heard this one. It's all over
      the Internet, it's on the TV and cable news, it'll probably be in the newspaper
      tomorrow. Further, this possibility has been discussed long before now.

      As the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator, I have no objection to
      spoilers since I don't mind spoilers myself. I also have no objection to list
      members attempting to shield other members from spoilers if they so desire.

      Joan
      Still Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
    • visualweasel
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
        > However, you'd have to be in isolation not to have heard this one.
        > It's all over the Internet, it's on the TV and cable news, it'll
        > probably be in the newspaper tomorrow. Further, this possibility
        > has been discussed long before now.

        Then I must qualify as "in isolation," hehe, since I hadn't heard it
        until Pat's post. I've had my head too deeply buried in material for
        my upcoming Mythcon paper, I guess. :) Still, you're right that the
        possibility has probably occurred to most readers by now.

        Jason
      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
          Rowling revealed this information in an interview on the "Richard and
          Judy" show on Channel 4 in the UK, so it's a spoiler that will be very
          hard to avoid. I guess she wanted to steal some of the limelight from
          Harper Lee's letter to Oprah.

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
            It was on the local gossip page right between Brittney and Jennifer Aniston.

            Oberhelman, D wrote:

            >Rowling revealed this information in an interview on the "Richard and
            >Judy" show on Channel 4 in the UK, so it's a spoiler that will be very
            >hard to avoid. I guess she wanted to steal some of the limelight from
            >Harper Lee's letter to Oprah.

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
              It should be added that Rowling says one character "gets a reprieve."

              Wh could be our Harry.

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
                The chick's a dude, the guy's actually dead, and Rosebud is his sled.

                Oops.
              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
                  > The chick's a dude, the guy's actually dead, and Rosebud is his sled.
                  >
                  > Oops.

                  It's official. You just spoiled everything, everywhere. Nice going. :)
                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
                    Already Jo and I have our ideas, but this is all rather like the
                    legendary if apocryphal lottery on date of Mamie Eisenhower's death,
                    isn't it?

                    Mike

                    Stolzi wrote:

                    >It should be added that Rowling says one character "gets a reprieve."
                    >
                    >Wh could be our Harry.
                    >
                    >Diamond Proudbrook

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jason Fisher
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
                      > It should be added that Rowling says one character "gets a reprieve."
                      > Wh could be our Harry.

                      Yes. Another thing I would rather not have known ahead of time. :-|
                    • Walkermonk@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 27, 2006
                        Then don't read the posts with the above subject line.

                        I hate spoilers too, but this is a literary list. We're gonna talk about
                        books and things related to said books and maybe not all of us have read the book
                        and so find out stuff we didn't want to know but still. It's a literary list.

                        Grace Walker Monk

                        In a message dated 6/27/2006 8:51:47 PM Central Standard Time,
                        visualweasel@... writes:
                        > It should be added that Rowling says one character "gets a reprieve."
                        > Wh could be our Harry.

                        Yes. Another thing I would rather not have known ahead of time. :-|

                      • Patrick H. Wynne
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Walkermonk@... wrote:

                          > Then don't read the posts with the above subject line.
                          >
                          > I hate spoilers too, but this is a literary list. We're gonna talk about
                          > books and things related to said books and maybe not all of us have read the book
                          > and so find out stuff we didn't want to know but still. It's a literary list.

                          Thank you, Grace, for the rare voice of reason!

                          My Potter post was NEWS, not a spoiler -- the story of Rowling's
                          statements in her interview were plastered all over the Internet
                          yesterday and were quite unavoidable. If people are going to be
                          so hyper-sensitive to alleged "spoilers", then I would suggest that
                          rather than taking me to task, a more practical strategy would be
                          to unsubscribe to the MythSoc list, sell your computer, unplug the
                          tv, cancel all subscriptions to magazines and newspapers, throw
                          the radio in the lake, paint your windows black, and put beeswax
                          in your ears and go "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" as loudly as you
                          can should anybody approach you and attempt to engage you in
                          conversation.

                          Because otherwise, news happens.

                          -- Pat
                        • Beth Russell
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                            >this is all rather like the
                            >legendary if apocryphal lottery on date of Mamie Eisenhower's death,
                            >isn't it?

                            Let's have a lottery about which ones are killed off.

                            My vote is for Percy and Snape.

                            Cheers,

                            Beth
                          • visualweasel
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                              Rather than reply to one tirade with another, I'll just bow out of
                              this thread gracefully. :)
                            • Stolzi
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                                Good idea, Beth!

                                I think that either Harry will die to redeem the Potterverse, or Snape will die to save Harry and thus indirectly redeem the Potterverse (and himself from his rather questionable record).

                                But then I'm somewhat force-fed on John Granger's ideas about the Christian symbolism which he finds rife throughout the series.

                                http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/home.php?page=books

                                Diamond Proudbrook

                              • Berni Phillips
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                                  From: "Beth Russell" <russells@...>

                                  > >this is all rather like the
                                  >>legendary if apocryphal lottery on date of Mamie Eisenhower's death,
                                  >>isn't it?
                                  >
                                  > Let's have a lottery about which ones are killed off.
                                  >
                                  > My vote is for Percy and Snape.

                                  I had thought of Percy, too. That boy needs some redemption for how he's
                                  hurt his poor parents. I'm more afraid it will be Mr. Weasley, whom I'm
                                  quite fond of. Hopefully not Hermione. I could see Rowling offing Tonks,
                                  although she's another character I really like. Malfoy, on the other hand,
                                  she can off as quickly as possible.

                                  Berni
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                                    Grace Monk wrote:

                                    > Then don't read the posts with the above subject line.

                                    That would be a tricky proposition to submit to the anti-spoilerite person,
                                    since the subject line contains not just the spoilers but the discussion
                                    about spoilers. By not having changed the subject line (which I did), you
                                    are in fact advising him not to read the very post in which you advise him
                                    not to read it. If that's a voice of reason, it's reason disappearing up
                                    its own fundament.

                                    Patrick H. Wynne wrote:

                                    >My Potter post was NEWS, not a spoiler -- the story of Rowling's
                                    >statements in her interview were plastered all over the Internet
                                    >yesterday and were quite unavoidable.

                                    I keep up with the news, but I only heard about this here.

                                    >If people are going to be
                                    >so hyper-sensitive to alleged "spoilers", then I would suggest that
                                    >rather than taking me to task, a more practical strategy would be
                                    >to unsubscribe to the MythSoc list, sell your computer, unplug the
                                    >tv, cancel all subscriptions to magazines and newspapers, throw
                                    >the radio in the lake, paint your windows black, and put beeswax
                                    >in your ears and go "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" as loudly as you
                                    >can should anybody approach you and attempt to engage you in
                                    >conversation.

                                    You know, back when a certain series of films were a major subject on this
                                    list, one of our posters who didn't want to have to read any criticism of
                                    her beloved movies suggested that I, rather than complain about them, just
                                    not watch them. I replied that not watching the films would not enable me
                                    to avoid the blizzard of publicity. I would have to do pretty much what
                                    you're outlining here. I didn't consider that practical, and I gather
                                    you're saying the same thing.

                                    Instead, I registered my complaints. And the anti-spoilerite person is
                                    doing the same thing. It seems to me that this shoe fits either foot.

                                    DB
                                  • Patrick H. Wynne
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006

                                      > Patrick H. Wynne wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >My Potter post was NEWS, not a spoiler -- the story of Rowling's
                                      > >statements in her interview were plastered all over the Internet
                                      > >yesterday and were quite unavoidable.
                                      >
                                      > I keep up with the news, but I only heard about this here.

                                      Huh -- go figure! I DON'T keep up with the news, to a truly pathetic
                                      degree -- I'm far more interested in pretend fairy languages than in
                                      what's actually happening in the Real World ;-) -- and yet I stumbled
                                      across at least three stories about Rowling's "spoilers" yesterday on
                                      my personal Yahoo! page (AP and Reuters) and USA Today homepage
                                      (yes, I am such a boring person that USA Today is my homepage --
                                      <sigh>). Hence my post to this list.

                                      And if you Google "Harry Potter characters die", you'll see (among the
                                      six and a half million hits) that this story has appeared on theatlantic.com,
                                      abcnews.go.com, movieweb.com, cbsnews.com, theglobeandmail.com,
                                      dallasnews.com, news.bbc.co.uk, netscape.cnn.com, foxnews.com,
                                      dailymail.co.uk, reuters.com, cinematical.com, accesshollywood.com,
                                      and newsmax.com, to cite just a very few. So yes, the Potter story WAS,
                                      quite objectively speaking, "plastered all over the Internet yesterday",
                                      as I said. And if you get your news primarily from the Internet (as I do),
                                      it really _was_ hard to miss the story!

                                      -- Pat
                                    • Larry Swain
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006

                                        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Patrick H. Wynne wrote: >My Potter post was NEWS, not a spoiler
                                        > > -- the story of Rowling's
                                        > > >statements in her interview were plastered all over the Internet
                                        > > >yesterday and were quite unavoidable.
                                        > >
                                        > > I keep up with the news, but I only heard about this here.
                                        >
                                        > Huh -- go figure! I DON'T keep up with the news, to a truly pathetic
                                        > degree -- I'm far more interested in pretend fairy languages than in
                                        > what's actually happening in the Real World ;-) -- and yet I stumbled
                                        > across at least three stories about Rowling's "spoilers" yesterday on
                                        > my personal Yahoo! page (AP and Reuters) and USA Today homepage
                                        > (yes, I am such a boring person that USA Today is my homepage --
                                        > <sigh>). Hence my post to this list.

                                        I have to express some incredulity there too: It was posted to 3 literary listservs that I'm on, was on MyYahoo News and headlines at My Excite page too; My BBC newsfeed featured the story; both of the local Chicago papers carried the story, and so did my edition of the NYT (ok, folks I'm a news junkie!); what's more I heard it on both API radio news, and BBC radio news broadcast on the public radio stations I regularly listen to; and in the morning news it was mentioned, but featured on All Things Considered. About the only news medium I don't watch is television, so I can't say what happened there. I can't be the only one who was clobbered with the news from almost every angle one can think of......oh wait I lied, it was also mentioned on Access Hollywood, which was on when I returned from walking the dogs waiting for a show I had programmed at the top of the hour (always have it turn a few minutes early). So I did get it through TV too. So with Patrick I have to say that this was truly a hard to miss story--there are even sites taking bets now on which characters!

                                        Larry Swain

                                        Powered by Outblaze
                                      • Walkermonk@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 28, 2006
                                          Is it worse to have a spoiler title or a spoiler post with a deceptively
                                          bland title? Do we give a warning yet vague title and then at the beginning of
                                          the message type the word "spoiler" in all caps followed by about 20 lines
                                          worth of asterisks so that one must scroll down to see the post? Upon which side
                                          does the burden of effort properly lie?

                                          Just for the record, I didn't call *myself* the voice of reason. After
                                          stating his displeasure with the spoiler in the title, Jason was still obviously
                                          reading the posts with the hated spoiler in the title and, unfortunately for
                                          him, read something he didn't want to read. My advice was simply to stop. But
                                          if he wasn't reading the posts and I was in fact causing a logic loop to
                                          explode, I honestly couldn't care less. In truth, I could not possibly care less
                                          about any of this. My only point here is that I didn't call myself the voice
                                          of reason.

                                          hearing and reading these speculations about JKR killing Harry vs. not
                                          killing Harry for at least two years now. Since #5 was published, if memory
                                          serves. So while it's news, it's not new news. There: another logic loop is
                                          exploding. (I like the pretty lights!)

                                          Grace Walker Monk

                                          Patrick H. Wynne wrote:

                                          >My Potter post was NEWS, not a spoiler -- the story of Rowling's
                                          >statements in her interview were plastered all over the Internet
                                          >yesterday and were quite unavoidable.

                                          I keep up with the news, but I only heard about this here.

                                          >If people are going to be
                                          >so hyper-sensitive to alleged "spoilers", then I would suggest that
                                          >rather than taking me to task, a more practical strategy would be
                                          >to unsubscribe to the MythSoc list, sell your computer, unplug the
                                          >tv, cancel all subscriptions to magazines and newspapers, throw
                                          >the radio in the lake, paint your windows black, and put beeswax
                                          >in your ears and go "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" as loudly as you
                                          >can should anybody approach you and attempt to engage you in
                                          >conversation.

                                          You know, back when a certain series of films were a major subject on this
                                          list, one of our posters who didn't want to have to read any criticism of
                                          her beloved movies suggested that I, rather than complain about them, just
                                          not watch them. I replied that not watching the films would not enable me
                                          to avoid the blizzard of publicity. I would have to do pretty much what
                                          you're outlining here. I didn't consider that practical, and I gather
                                          you're saying the same thing.

                                          Instead, I registered my complaints. And the anti-spoilerite person is
                                          doing the same thing. It seems to me that this shoe fits either foot.

                                          DB

                                        • Lezlie
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 30, 2006
                                            ROTHFLOL!! Thanks, you just made my morning. Lezlie