Re: [mythsoc] Second Edition Silm

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
      Thanks for replying to my question, which I should like to cite in my
      report. It is sufficient to have checked the status of textual criticism on
      this work. I really had assumed that something along these lines has
      already been produced. I would relish the accomplishment, myself. But
      alas, as Chaucer said, "The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne"
      (*Parlement
      of Foules*) [from Köberl's site: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/~jkoeberl/%5d.

      Walter.

      On 6/19/06, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      > I don't know of any analysis comparing the two editions, but yes the
      > text was reset--for example, compare the first two pages of any
      > chapter in the first and second editions. See also Christopher's
      > statement in the "Preface to the Second Edition" on pages xiii-xiv:
      > "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which until
      > now have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only) of The
      > Silmarillion. Chief among these are those that concern the numbering
      > in sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for these errors and
      > an explanation of how they arose see Unfinished Tales (1980) p.226,
      > note 11, and The Peoples of Middle-earth (1996) p.154, [section]31."
      > It would be nice to think no new typos crept in during the process; I
      > have not spotted any, but I haven't read straight through the new
      > text nor collated it with the earlier.
      > Wayne's book predates the second edition Silm. by the better part
      > of a decade, so of course the latter could not be covered in the
      > former; that will have to wait for the eventual new edition of
      > Wayne's book. Christina's Tolkien Collector included such addenda,
      > but it's been quite a while since the last issue I received (#26,
      > Dec. '02), since they have been v. busy w. other projects. The second
      > edition Silm. is described in issues #22 (page 7) [hc] and #24 (pages
      > 9-10) [tp] but the changes not detailed. Perhaps you shd undertake
      > such a textual analysis and comparison yrself.
      > --JDR
      >
      > On Jun 18, 2006, at 1:02 AM, Walter Padgett wrote:
      > > Can anyone help me locate a textual analysis of the Second Edition of
      > > =The Silmarillion=? I've been studying Hammond's Descriptive
      > > Bibliography, and it doesn't cover the two editions illustrated by Ted
      > > Nasmith. But the most recent of those is a "Second Edition" and I
      > > want
      > > to know what are the differences between this and the earlier
      > > editions. Is it just different illustrations, or was the text reset?
      > > Did new errors creep in, or were the old ones repeated?
      > >
      > > I'm assuming that a critical textual analysis of this work has been
      > > produced, and that it has been published somewhere. But where? Is
      > > there addenda to Hammond's Descriptive Bibliography that covers the
      > > editions illustrated by Nasmith?

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2006
        Reading through some back issues of THE FORTEAN TIMES which a friend
        gave me, and found a reference to CSL. Since I don't expect many
        folks here would otherwise see it, I reprint the penultimate
        paragraph from their profile of Wells:

        "Indeed the long, harsh anti-utopia of World War II depressed Wells.
        He was in London during the Blitz, and his last few years were
        clouded by illness, but he kept writing to the end. The actual coming
        of nuclear weapons, many of whose horrors he had imagined in The
        World Set Free, added to the gloom. So perhaps did CS Lewis's occult
        fantasy novel The Hideous Strength (1945), briefly but viciously
        caricaturing Wells as "Jules", a pompous Cockney author with out-of-
        date scientific training and no comprehension of the technological
        evils which he foolishly promotes."

        --Fortean Times #199, Sept 2005, page 41, from "The history of Mr
        Wells" by David Langford.

        To be fair, I don't think Lewis knew Wells was dying at the time
        his little bit of character assassination was published, though he
        must have known he was old (nearly 80) and in ill health. Still, it's
        interesting to glimpse CSL from time to time as he appears in other
        contexts and from other points of view.

        --JDR

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2006
          This article in _The Fortean Times_ by David Langford can be found online at
          _http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/199_hgwells1.shtml_
          (http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/199_hgwells1.shtml) (since the magazine keeps some of its
          articles in a freely available online archive).

          I'm about to E-mail Dave Langford and ask him if he actually knows that
          Wells even read _That Hideous Strength_. I'm not aware that anyone has
          previously established if that's true. It doesn't actually sound very likely to me.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2006
            I asked the following question (by E-mail) of Dave Langford:

            > In your article in _The Fortean Times_, issue 199, you wonder if H. G.
            Wells was
            > depressed by being satirized in _That Hideous Strength_ by C. S. Lewis.
            Has it even been
            > established that Wells read _That Hideous Strength_? That doesn't sound
            very likely to
            > me, but perhaps you know of some evidence otherwise.

            He replied with the following:

            > I took some care to qualify that speculation with "perhaps". From my own
            experience,
            > irrespective of whether Wells read the book, I think it plausible that
            some Lewis reader
            > would have pointed out that passage to him.

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2006
              In other words, no conclusive sighting of the Ivory-billed Jules.

              Mike