Re: [mythsoc] J.R.R. Tolkien Companion Release Date

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
      On 6/10/06, ebadams2000 <ebadams2000@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know when Hammond and Scull's J.R.R. Tolkien Companion 2-
      > volume box set will be out? Amazon initially had it set to be released
      > last October, but just informed me that it still hasn't been released
      > yet.
      >
      > Blake Adams

      Hey Blake,

      I was wondering the same.

      According to the website of the website of Wayne G. Hammond &
      Christina Scull (http://bcn.net/~whammond/writing.html):

      "One of our current projects is a general reference book, The J.R.R.
      Tolkien Companion and Guide, commissioned by HarperCollins U.K.
      Publication has been announced several times, but other work has
      delayed this book further. HarperCollins now plan to publish in
      October 2006. The book will include a lengthy chronology of Tolkien's
      life and works, a checklist and descriptions of his writings, and
      notes on significant persons, places, issues, and events."

      I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

      Walter.

      PS. Just a note about me, since I'm saying something... I'm still
      working on my master's thesis. Currently writing a report on textual
      criticism and bibliographies of and about JRR Tolkien. Hammond's =JRR
      Tolkien: A Descriptive Bibliography= is impressive and inspiring.
      Given the outstanding quality of the recently released =The Lord of
      the Rings: A Reader's Companion=, the upcoming =JRR Tolkien Companion
      and Guide= seems a pearl of great promise. I'm sure it's quite
      difficult for them to let go of ... .
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2006
        Does anyone know how I could get a copy of Dan Timmons' Tolkien
        documentary, THE LEGACY OF 'THE LORD OF THE RINGS'? Dan was going to
        send me one but now I don't know where I can find it -- Dan said that
        the company that produced it refused to list it on amazon, and their
        website not only has no ordering information but states that they
        won't respond to any messages from individuals. It's scheduled to be
        shown at the Gathering of the Fellowship in a few weeks, so obviously
        it's available at least to a limited extent. Any information on how
        to find a copy much appreciated.
        --JDR
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2006
          I have a copy which I was asked to review, but I haven't done so yet. Please contact me offlist if you'd like me to send it.

          J.

          Janet Brennan Croft
          jbcroft@...
          http://libraries.ou.edu/
          "History does not always repeat itself. Sometimes it just yells, 'Can't you remember anything I told you?' and lets fly with a club." -- John W. Campbell, Jr.