J.R.R. Tolkien Companion Release Date

  • ebadams2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2006
      Does anyone know when Hammond and Scull's J.R.R. Tolkien Companion 2-
      volume box set will be out? Amazon initially had it set to be released
      last October, but just informed me that it still hasn't been released
      yet.

      Blake Adams
    • Kevin Bowring
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
        Has the work of Kathleen Raine ever been discussed by the Mythopoeic clan? My search didn't turn up much. If not, I'm going to start warming up my pen. But I don't want to bore anyone if this is an already well-trod path.
        Kevin
      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
          As a fairly new person on this list, I can't speak to past discussions. I
          would applaud any effort in that direction, however--I've long been an admirer
          of Kathleen Raine, and there's not much good solid discussion of her work.

          Anne

        • Walter Padgett
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
            On 6/10/06, ebadams2000 <ebadams2000@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know when Hammond and Scull's J.R.R. Tolkien Companion 2-
            > volume box set will be out? Amazon initially had it set to be released
            > last October, but just informed me that it still hasn't been released
            > yet.
            >
            > Blake Adams

            Hey Blake,

            I was wondering the same.

            According to the website of the website of Wayne G. Hammond &
            Christina Scull (http://bcn.net/~whammond/writing.html):

            "One of our current projects is a general reference book, The J.R.R.
            Tolkien Companion and Guide, commissioned by HarperCollins U.K.
            Publication has been announced several times, but other work has
            delayed this book further. HarperCollins now plan to publish in
            October 2006. The book will include a lengthy chronology of Tolkien's
            life and works, a checklist and descriptions of his writings, and
            notes on significant persons, places, issues, and events."

            I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

            Walter.

            PS. Just a note about me, since I'm saying something... I'm still
            working on my master's thesis. Currently writing a report on textual
            criticism and bibliographies of and about JRR Tolkien. Hammond's =JRR
            Tolkien: A Descriptive Bibliography= is impressive and inspiring.
            Given the outstanding quality of the recently released =The Lord of
            the Rings: A Reader's Companion=, the upcoming =JRR Tolkien Companion
            and Guide= seems a pearl of great promise. I'm sure it's quite
            difficult for them to let go of ... .
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 16, 2006
              Does anyone know how I could get a copy of Dan Timmons' Tolkien
              documentary, THE LEGACY OF 'THE LORD OF THE RINGS'? Dan was going to
              send me one but now I don't know where I can find it -- Dan said that
              the company that produced it refused to list it on amazon, and their
              website not only has no ordering information but states that they
              won't respond to any messages from individuals. It's scheduled to be
              shown at the Gathering of the Fellowship in a few weeks, so obviously
              it's available at least to a limited extent. Any information on how
              to find a copy much appreciated.
              --JDR
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2006
                I have a copy which I was asked to review, but I haven't done so yet. Please contact me offlist if you'd like me to send it.

                J.

                Janet Brennan Croft
                jbcroft@...
                http://libraries.ou.edu/
                "History does not always repeat itself. Sometimes it just yells, 'Can't you remember anything I told you?' and lets fly with a club." -- John W. Campbell, Jr.