Re: [mythsoc] Wanted: Panel ideas for Mythcon

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
      In a message dated 6/1/2006 2:31:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      jbcroft@... writes:

      We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
      panel discussions.

      I cannot access the papers page at all. I suspect the problem is that it is
      a pdf file, which I can't handle. Can someone convert it to another format
      and send me a copy?

    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
        My apologies - I intended to send my thoughts on Mythcon activities to
        Janet instead of to the whole list.

        Ellen Denham

        Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
        >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
        >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
        >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
        >or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
        >need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!
        >
        >Thanks for putting on your thinking caps!
        >Janet
        >
        >(Again, sorry if you get this message several times; I am trying to
        >distribute it fairly widely!)
        >
        >Janet Brennan Croft
        >Head of Access Services
        >University of Oklahoma Libraries
        >Bizzell 104NW
        >Norman OK 73019
        >405-325-1918
        >Fax 405-325-7618
        >jbcroft@...
        >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
        >http://libraries.ou.edu/
        >Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
        >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
          Our video coordinator is already bringing Howl's Moving Castle -- she just watched it and thought it was great! I'm not sure if she will want to do Mirrormask, but there is also a big TV on the landing outside the Hospitality Suite, and we can run a movie there if we want. So bring it along!

          J.

          Janet Brennan Croft
          Head of Access Services
          University of Oklahoma Libraries
          Bizzell 104NW
          Norman OK 73019
          405-325-1918
          Fax 405-325-7618
          jbcroft@...
          http://libraries.ou.edu/
          Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
          http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

          >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
          >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
          >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
          >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On
          >comics or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And
          >we will need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!

          Re the video program, if you have a DVD player, we could bring our copy of "Howl's Moving Castle" (the Miyasaki) and/or the Neil Gaiman "Mirrormask" (which we haven't even watched yet, but hopefully will do before Mythcon!)

          Berni

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
            Ellen,

            I'm one of the authors who'd like to read. With just one novel out, I'm
            certainly not a Name, but I think your group read sounds like fun. Might
            get a better audience response, too, than a number of single readings by
            lesser-known folks--sort of a sampler package.

            Jane

            Janet,<BR>
            <BR>
            I noticed in the progress report there is a video room. If you think <BR>
            there might be some interest, Stephan and I can bring the videotape of <BR>
            The Willow Maiden, the ballet that I showed excerpts from at Mythcon two <BR>
            years ago.<BR>
            <BR>
            I also recall someone on the mythsoc list expressing interest in reading <BR>
            her work. If there are enough other writers, I would be glad to <BR>
            coordinate a reading. Perhaps we could get 4 or 5 people to read 10 <BR>
            minute excerpts and have questions and answers afterwards. I know there <BR>
            are lots of writers in the group but am not sure how many are coming to <BR>
            Mythcon. I would be glad to participate in the reading, as I do have a <BR>
            second draft of my novel complete (an excerpt was just published in the <BR>
            last Mythic Circle). Though if we have enough higher profile, i.e., <BR>
            professionally published authors, I would be glad to moderate instead. <BR>
            <BR>
            I will be attending the Odyssey writing workshop in New Hampshire for <BR>
            six weeks so I'm afraid to commit to too much, but am certainly open to <BR>
            working on a reading or participating in a panel. If anyone else is <BR>
            interested in writing related things, perhaps we could have a panel on <BR>
            writing workshops and I could share some of my experiences at Odyssey.<BR>
            <BR>
            Just let me know if any of this may fit in with the interests of other <BR>
            volunteers.<BR>
            <BR>
            Thanks,<BR>
            <BR>
            Ellen Denham<BR>
            <BR>
            Croft, Janet B. wrote:<BR>
            <BR>
            >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at<BR>
            ><a
            href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),</a>
            and now we need some ideas for<BR>
            href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a><BR>
            href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a><BR>
            >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, <a
            href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html</a>
            and<BR>
            href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a><BR>
            href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a> <BR>
            >Yahoo! Groups Links<BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            > <BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            ><BR>
            > <BR>
            ><BR>
            <BR>
            <BR>
            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]<BR>
            <BR>

            <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            <tt>
            The Mythopoeic Society website <a
            href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a></tt>

            <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

            <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            color:#909090;">
            <tt>SPONSORED LINKS</tt>
            <tt><a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw">Writing
            book</a></tt>
            <tt><a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA">Writing
            a book</a></tt>
            <tt><a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw">Writing
            child book</a></tt>
            <tt><a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA">Book
            writing software</a></tt>
            <tt><a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ">Science
            fiction and fantasy</a></tt>
            <tt><a
            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ">Writing
            a book report</a></tt>

            <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

            <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
            <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
            <ul>
            <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
            <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
            to:<br> <a
            href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>
            </tt>
            <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
            </ul>

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
              Jane,

              Sounds great! I've been working on this with Janet and we have a
              reading tentatively scheduled for 3:30 - 5:00 on Sunday. I'm working on
              recruiting some other readers, so if you know of another writer who is
              attending and might be interested, let me know. I will put you on the
              list, and when it gets closer to the time (assuming we get enough people
              to make this a go), I can collect some biographical info from each of you.

              Ellen Denham

            • jbigelow@pcisys.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                Ellen,

                I'm sure there are enough mythie authors to fill a program! I don't really
                know names myself--maybe Ellie knows, since she runs the reviews?

                Looking forward to August (what a concept!)

                Jane

                Jane,<BR>
                <BR>
                Sounds great! I've been working on this with Janet and we have a <BR>
                reading tentatively scheduled for 3:30 - 5:00 on Sunday. I'm working on <BR>
                recruiting some other readers, so if you know of another writer who is <BR>
                attending and might be interested, let me know. I will put you on the <BR>
                list, and when it gets closer to the time (assuming we get enough people <BR>
                to make this a go), I can collect some biographical info from each of you.<BR>
                <BR>
                Ellen Denham<BR>
                <BR>
                jbigelow@... wrote:<BR>
                <BR>
                href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),</a></a><BR>
                href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a>"><a
                href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a></a><BR><BR>
                href="http://libraries.ou.edu/">http://libraries.ou.edu/</a>"><a
                href="http://libraries.ou.edu/">http://libraries.ou.edu/</a></a><BR><BR>
                href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a>"><a
                href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a></a><BR><BR>
                href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a>"><a
                href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a></a><BR><BR>
                href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a></a> <BR><BR>
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw</a>">Writing<BR>
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA</a>">Writing<BR>
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw</a>">Writing<BR>
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA</a>">Book<BR>
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ</a>">Science<BR>
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ</a>">Writing<BR>
                >a book report</a></tt><BR>
                > <BR>
                ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| --><BR>
                ><BR>
                ><BR>
                ><BR>
                ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| --><BR>
                ><BR>
                > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;"><BR>
                > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt><BR>
                ><ul><BR>
                > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a<BR>
                >href="<a
                href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc</a>">mythsoc</a>"
                on the web.<br> </tt><BR>
                > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email<BR>
                >to:<br> <a<BR>
                >href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br><BR>
                ></tt><BR>
                > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a<BR>
                >href="<a
                href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>">Yahoo!
                Terms of Service</a>.</tt><BR>
                href="http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/">http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/</a><BR>
> [...]

                a book report</a></tt>

                <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
                <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
                <ul>
                <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
                <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                to:<br> <a
                href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>
                </tt>
                <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
                </ul>
                <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

              • Bonnie Callahan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Hi all:

                  I've been noting the "linguistics" exchange in this
                  list venue. Would a panel on the relevance of this
                  field of study to our Mythopoeic sensibility (other
                  than the invention of imagined languages) be
                  appropriate?

                  I, for one, would like to understand it a tad better,
                  being a fan of English-language trivia & anomalies.
                  And a sorta fan of Chomsky, who was cited at one
                  point.

                  And sounds like Barfield had a lot to offer, not all
                  that appreciated (yet)??

                  Bonnie
                • Kevin Bowring
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
                    I'd love to see a panel on the subject---but NEXT year, when I can come!
                    Kevin