Re: [mythsoc] Wanted: Panel ideas for Mythcon

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
      From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

      >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
      >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
      >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
      >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
      >or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
      >need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!

      Re the video program, if you have a DVD player, we could bring our copy of
      "Howl's
      Moving Castle" (the Miyasaki) and/or the Neil Gaiman "Mirrormask" (which we
      haven't
      even watched yet, but hopefully will do before Mythcon!)

      Berni
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
        In a message dated 6/1/2006 2:31:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        jbcroft@... writes:

        We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
        http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
        panel discussions.

        I cannot access the papers page at all. I suspect the problem is that it is
        a pdf file, which I can't handle. Can someone convert it to another format
        and send me a copy?

      • Ellen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
          My apologies - I intended to send my thoughts on Mythcon activities to
          Janet instead of to the whole list.

          Ellen Denham

          Croft, Janet B. wrote:

          >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
          >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
          >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
          >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
          >or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
          >need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!
          >
          >Thanks for putting on your thinking caps!
          >Janet
          >
          >(Again, sorry if you get this message several times; I am trying to
          >distribute it fairly widely!)
          >
          >Janet Brennan Croft
          >Head of Access Services
          >University of Oklahoma Libraries
          >Bizzell 104NW
          >Norman OK 73019
          >405-325-1918
          >Fax 405-325-7618
          >jbcroft@...
          >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
          >http://libraries.ou.edu/
          >Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
          >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
          >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
            Our video coordinator is already bringing Howl's Moving Castle -- she just watched it and thought it was great! I'm not sure if she will want to do Mirrormask, but there is also a big TV on the landing outside the Hospitality Suite, and we can run a movie there if we want. So bring it along!

            J.

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
              Ellen,

              I'm one of the authors who'd like to read. With just one novel out, I'm
              certainly not a Name, but I think your group read sounds like fun. Might
              get a better audience response, too, than a number of single readings by
              lesser-known folks--sort of a sampler package.

              Jane

              Janet,<BR>
              <BR>
              I noticed in the progress report there is a video room. If you think <BR>
              there might be some interest, Stephan and I can bring the videotape of <BR>
              The Willow Maiden, the ballet that I showed excerpts from at Mythcon two <BR>
              years ago.<BR>
              <BR>
              I also recall someone on the mythsoc list expressing interest in reading <BR>
              her work. If there are enough other writers, I would be glad to <BR>
              coordinate a reading. Perhaps we could get 4 or 5 people to read 10 <BR>
              minute excerpts and have questions and answers afterwards. I know there <BR>
              are lots of writers in the group but am not sure how many are coming to <BR>
              Mythcon. I would be glad to participate in the reading, as I do have a <BR>
              second draft of my novel complete (an excerpt was just published in the <BR>
              last Mythic Circle). Though if we have enough higher profile, i.e., <BR>
              professionally published authors, I would be glad to moderate instead. <BR>
              <BR>
              I will be attending the Odyssey writing workshop in New Hampshire for <BR>
              six weeks so I'm afraid to commit to too much, but am certainly open to <BR>
              working on a reading or participating in a panel. If anyone else is <BR>
              interested in writing related things, perhaps we could have a panel on <BR>
              writing workshops and I could share some of my experiences at Odyssey.<BR>
              <BR>
              Just let me know if any of this may fit in with the interests of other <BR>
              volunteers.<BR>
              <BR>
              Thanks,<BR>
              <BR>
              Ellen Denham<BR>
              <BR>
              Croft, Janet B. wrote:<BR>
              <BR>
              >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at<BR>
              ><a
              href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),</a>
              and now we need some ideas for<BR>
              href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a><BR>
              href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a><BR>
              >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, <a
              href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html</a>
              and<BR>
              href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a><BR>
              href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a> <BR>
              >Yahoo! Groups Links<BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              > <BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              ><BR>
              > <BR>
              ><BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]<BR>
              <BR>

              <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              <tt>
              The Mythopoeic Society website <a
              href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a></tt>

              <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

              <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              color:#909090;">
              <tt>SPONSORED LINKS</tt>
              <tt><a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw">Writing
              book</a></tt>
              <tt><a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA">Writing
              a book</a></tt>
              <tt><a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw">Writing
              child book</a></tt>
              <tt><a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA">Book
              writing software</a></tt>
              <tt><a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ">Science
              fiction and fantasy</a></tt>
              <tt><a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ">Writing
              a book report</a></tt>

              <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

              <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
              <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
              <ul>
              <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
              <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
              to:<br> <a
              href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>
              </tt>
              <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
              href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
              </ul>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                Jane,

                Sounds great! I've been working on this with Janet and we have a
                reading tentatively scheduled for 3:30 - 5:00 on Sunday. I'm working on
                recruiting some other readers, so if you know of another writer who is
                attending and might be interested, let me know. I will put you on the
                list, and when it gets closer to the time (assuming we get enough people
                to make this a go), I can collect some biographical info from each of you.

                Ellen Denham

              • jbigelow@pcisys.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Ellen,

                  I'm sure there are enough mythie authors to fill a program! I don't really
                  know names myself--maybe Ellie knows, since she runs the reviews?

                  Looking forward to August (what a concept!)

                  Jane

                  Jane,<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Sounds great! I've been working on this with Janet and we have a <BR>
                  reading tentatively scheduled for 3:30 - 5:00 on Sunday. I'm working on <BR>
                  recruiting some other readers, so if you know of another writer who is <BR>
                  attending and might be interested, let me know. I will put you on the <BR>
                  list, and when it gets closer to the time (assuming we get enough people <BR>
                  to make this a go), I can collect some biographical info from each of you.<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Ellen Denham<BR>
                  <BR>
                  jbigelow@... wrote:<BR>
                  <BR>
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),</a></a><BR>
                  href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a>"><a
                  href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a></a><BR><BR>
                  href="http://libraries.ou.edu/">http://libraries.ou.edu/</a>"><a
                  href="http://libraries.ou.edu/">http://libraries.ou.edu/</a></a><BR><BR>
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a>"><a
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a></a><BR><BR>
                  href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a>"><a
                  href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a></a><BR><BR>
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a></a> <BR><BR>
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw</a>">Writing<BR>
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA</a>">Writing<BR>
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw</a>">Writing<BR>
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA</a>">Book<BR>
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ</a>">Science<BR>
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ</a>">Writing<BR>
                  >a book report</a></tt><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| --><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| --><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;"><BR>
                  > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt><BR>
                  ><ul><BR>
                  > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a<BR>
                  >href="<a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc</a>">mythsoc</a>"
                  on the web.<br> </tt><BR>
                  > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email<BR>
                  >to:<br> <a<BR>
                  >href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br><BR>
                  ></tt><BR>
                  > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a<BR>
                  >href="<a
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>">Yahoo!
                  Terms of Service</a>.</tt><BR>
                  href="http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/">http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/</a><BR>
> [...]

                  a book report</a></tt>

                  <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                  <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                  <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
                  <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
                  <ul>
                  <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
                  <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                  to:<br> <a
                  href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>
                  </tt>
                  <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
                  </ul>
                  <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

                • Bonnie Callahan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                    Hi all:

                    I've been noting the "linguistics" exchange in this
                    list venue. Would a panel on the relevance of this
                    field of study to our Mythopoeic sensibility (other
                    than the invention of imagined languages) be
                    appropriate?

                    I, for one, would like to understand it a tad better,
                    being a fan of English-language trivia & anomalies.
                    And a sorta fan of Chomsky, who was cited at one
                    point.

                    And sounds like Barfield had a lot to offer, not all
                    that appreciated (yet)??

                    Bonnie
                  • Kevin Bowring
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
                      I'd love to see a panel on the subject---but NEXT year, when I can come!
                      Kevin