Wanted: Panel ideas for Mythcon

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
      We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
      panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
      panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
      or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
      need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!

      Thanks for putting on your thinking caps!
      Janet

      (Again, sorry if you get this message several times; I am trying to
      distribute it fairly widely!)

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
      http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
        Janet,

        I noticed in the progress report there is a video room. If you think
        there might be some interest, Stephan and I can bring the videotape of
        The Willow Maiden, the ballet that I showed excerpts from at Mythcon two
        years ago.

        I also recall someone on the mythsoc list expressing interest in reading
        her work. If there are enough other writers, I would be glad to
        coordinate a reading. Perhaps we could get 4 or 5 people to read 10
        minute excerpts and have questions and answers afterwards. I know there
        are lots of writers in the group but am not sure how many are coming to
        Mythcon. I would be glad to participate in the reading, as I do have a
        second draft of my novel complete (an excerpt was just published in the
        last Mythic Circle). Though if we have enough higher profile, i.e.,
        professionally published authors, I would be glad to moderate instead.

        I will be attending the Odyssey writing workshop in New Hampshire for
        six weeks so I'm afraid to commit to too much, but am certainly open to
        working on a reading or participating in a panel. If anyone else is
        interested in writing related things, perhaps we could have a panel on
        writing workshops and I could share some of my experiences at Odyssey.

        Just let me know if any of this may fit in with the interests of other
        volunteers.

        Thanks,

        Ellen Denham

        Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
        >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
        >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
        >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
        >or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
        >need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!
        >
        >Thanks for putting on your thinking caps!
        >Janet
        >
        >(Again, sorry if you get this message several times; I am trying to
        >distribute it fairly widely!)
        >
        >Janet Brennan Croft
        >Head of Access Services
        >University of Oklahoma Libraries
        >Bizzell 104NW
        >Norman OK 73019
        >405-325-1918
        >Fax 405-325-7618
        >jbcroft@...
        >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
        >http://libraries.ou.edu/
        >Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
        >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
          From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

          >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
          >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
          >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
          >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
          >or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
          >need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!

          Re the video program, if you have a DVD player, we could bring our copy of
          "Howl's
          Moving Castle" (the Miyasaki) and/or the Neil Gaiman "Mirrormask" (which we
          haven't
          even watched yet, but hopefully will do before Mythcon!)

          Berni
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
            In a message dated 6/1/2006 2:31:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            jbcroft@... writes:

            We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
            http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
            panel discussions.

            I cannot access the papers page at all. I suspect the problem is that it is
            a pdf file, which I can't handle. Can someone convert it to another format
            and send me a copy?

          • Ellen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
              My apologies - I intended to send my thoughts on Mythcon activities to
              Janet instead of to the whole list.

              Ellen Denham

              Croft, Janet B. wrote:

              >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at
              >http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html), and now we need some ideas for
              >panel discussions. What would YOU like to see discussed? Do we need a
              >panel on the Narnia movie? On other recent movies? On Pullman? On comics
              >or manga? Do any of the paper topics suggest ideas to you? And we will
              >need volunteers to moderate and sit on the panels!
              >
              >Thanks for putting on your thinking caps!
              >Janet
              >
              >(Again, sorry if you get this message several times; I am trying to
              >distribute it fairly widely!)
              >
              >Janet Brennan Croft
              >Head of Access Services
              >University of Oklahoma Libraries
              >Bizzell 104NW
              >Norman OK 73019
              >405-325-1918
              >Fax 405-325-7618
              >jbcroft@...
              >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
              >http://libraries.ou.edu/
              >Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
              >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html and
              >http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
                Our video coordinator is already bringing Howl's Moving Castle -- she just watched it and thought it was great! I'm not sure if she will want to do Mirrormask, but there is also a big TV on the landing outside the Hospitality Suite, and we can run a movie there if we want. So bring it along!

                J.

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Ellen,

                  I'm one of the authors who'd like to read. With just one novel out, I'm
                  certainly not a Name, but I think your group read sounds like fun. Might
                  get a better audience response, too, than a number of single readings by
                  lesser-known folks--sort of a sampler package.

                  Jane

                  Janet,<BR>
                  <BR>
                  I noticed in the progress report there is a video room. If you think <BR>
                  there might be some interest, Stephan and I can bring the videotape of <BR>
                  The Willow Maiden, the ballet that I showed excerpts from at Mythcon two <BR>
                  years ago.<BR>
                  <BR>
                  I also recall someone on the mythsoc list expressing interest in reading <BR>
                  her work. If there are enough other writers, I would be glad to <BR>
                  coordinate a reading. Perhaps we could get 4 or 5 people to read 10 <BR>
                  minute excerpts and have questions and answers afterwards. I know there <BR>
                  are lots of writers in the group but am not sure how many are coming to <BR>
                  Mythcon. I would be glad to participate in the reading, as I do have a <BR>
                  second draft of my novel complete (an excerpt was just published in the <BR>
                  last Mythic Circle). Though if we have enough higher profile, i.e., <BR>
                  professionally published authors, I would be glad to moderate instead. <BR>
                  <BR>
                  I will be attending the Odyssey writing workshop in New Hampshire for <BR>
                  six weeks so I'm afraid to commit to too much, but am certainly open to <BR>
                  working on a reading or participating in a panel. If anyone else is <BR>
                  interested in writing related things, perhaps we could have a panel on <BR>
                  writing workshops and I could share some of my experiences at Odyssey.<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Just let me know if any of this may fit in with the interests of other <BR>
                  volunteers.<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Thanks,<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Ellen Denham<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Croft, Janet B. wrote:<BR>
                  <BR>
                  >We have a wonderful group of papers lined up (see them at<BR>
                  ><a
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),</a>
                  and now we need some ideas for<BR>
                  href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a><BR>
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a><BR>
                  >Committee Chair, Mythcon37, <a
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html</a>
                  and<BR>
                  href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a><BR>
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a> <BR>
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links<BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  ><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  ><BR>
                  <BR>
                  <BR>
                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]<BR>
                  <BR>

                  <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                  <tt>
                  The Mythopoeic Society website <a
                  href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a></tt>

                  <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                  <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                  color:#909090;">
                  <tt>SPONSORED LINKS</tt>
                  <tt><a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw">Writing
                  book</a></tt>
                  <tt><a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA">Writing
                  a book</a></tt>
                  <tt><a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw">Writing
                  child book</a></tt>
                  <tt><a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA">Book
                  writing software</a></tt>
                  <tt><a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ">Science
                  fiction and fantasy</a></tt>
                  <tt><a
                  href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ">Writing
                  a book report</a></tt>

                  <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                  <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                  <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
                  <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
                  <ul>
                  <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
                  <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                  to:<br> <a
                  href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>
                  </tt>
                  <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
                  </ul>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                    Jane,

                    Sounds great! I've been working on this with Janet and we have a
                    reading tentatively scheduled for 3:30 - 5:00 on Sunday. I'm working on
                    recruiting some other readers, so if you know of another writer who is
                    attending and might be interested, let me know. I will put you on the
                    list, and when it gets closer to the time (assuming we get enough people
                    to make this a go), I can collect some biographical info from each of you.

                    Ellen Denham

                  • jbigelow@pcisys.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                      Ellen,

                      I'm sure there are enough mythie authors to fill a program! I don't really
                      know names myself--maybe Ellie knows, since she runs the reviews?

                      Looking forward to August (what a concept!)

                      Jane

                      Jane,<BR>
                      <BR>
                      Sounds great! I've been working on this with Janet and we have a <BR>
                      reading tentatively scheduled for 3:30 - 5:00 on Sunday. I'm working on <BR>
                      recruiting some other readers, so if you know of another writer who is <BR>
                      attending and might be interested, let me know. I will put you on the <BR>
                      list, and when it gets closer to the time (assuming we get enough people <BR>
                      to make this a go), I can collect some biographical info from each of you.<BR>
                      <BR>
                      Ellen Denham<BR>
                      <BR>
                      jbigelow@... wrote:<BR>
                      <BR>
                      href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon37.html),</a></a><BR>
                      href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a>"><a
                      href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/</a></a><BR><BR>
                      href="http://libraries.ou.edu/">http://libraries.ou.edu/</a>"><a
                      href="http://libraries.ou.edu/">http://libraries.ou.edu/</a></a><BR><BR>
                      href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a>"><a
                      href="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html">http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html</a></a><BR><BR>
                      href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a>"><a
                      href="http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm">http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/ProgressReport1.htm</a></a><BR><BR>
                      href="http://www.mythsoc.org">http://www.mythsoc.org</a></a> <BR><BR>
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLyccicIbmLvw</a>">Writing<BR>
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYxhLh9xKmaZA</a>">Writing<BR>
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsyQ7cty1c0_Mdmcw</a>">Writing<BR>
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXzOVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA</a>">Book<BR>
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ</a>">Science<BR>
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7bRwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ</a>">Writing<BR>
                      >a book report</a></tt><BR>
                      > <BR>
                      ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| --><BR>
                      ><BR>
                      ><BR>
                      ><BR>
                      ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| --><BR>
                      ><BR>
                      > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;"><BR>
                      > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt><BR>
                      ><ul><BR>
                      > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a<BR>
                      >href="<a
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc</a>">mythsoc</a>"
                      on the web.<br> </tt><BR>
                      > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email<BR>
                      >to:<br> <a<BR>
                      >href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br><BR>
                      ></tt><BR>
                      > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a<BR>
                      >href="<a
                      href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>">Yahoo!
                      Terms of Service</a>.</tt><BR>
                      href="http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/">http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/</a><BR>
> [...]

                      a book report</a></tt>

                      <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                      <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                      <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
                      <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
                      <ul>
                      <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
                      <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                      to:<br> <a
                      href="mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>
                      </tt>
                      <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                      href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
                      </ul>
                      <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

                    • Bonnie Callahan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                        Hi all:

                        I've been noting the "linguistics" exchange in this
                        list venue. Would a panel on the relevance of this
                        field of study to our Mythopoeic sensibility (other
                        than the invention of imagined languages) be
                        appropriate?

                        I, for one, would like to understand it a tad better,
                        being a fan of English-language trivia & anomalies.
                        And a sorta fan of Chomsky, who was cited at one
                        point.

                        And sounds like Barfield had a lot to offer, not all
                        that appreciated (yet)??

                        Bonnie
                      • Kevin Bowring
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
                          I'd love to see a panel on the subject---but NEXT year, when I can come!
                          Kevin