RE: [mythsoc] Bartlesville OK etc.

    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2006
      At 05:51 PM 5/27/2006 -0500, Jay Hershberger wrote:
      >Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.

      Very respectable for a town its size, but I've seen "big city skylines"
      with considerably more than that.

      >The OK Mozart Festival

      ... sounds delightful but it will be long over by Mythcon time. For me,
      one unfortunate side effect of Mythcons being in the summer is that you get
      to travel to interesting places which, unless there's a festival going on
      at the moment, will be symphonically dead. That, and the heat. My
      favorite thing about Kilauea? It was cool up there!

      >(a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
      >fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
      >doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
      >your arteries clog in the process).

      Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

      DB
    • Ginger McElwee
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27, 2006
        My favorite Bartlesville memory from childhood is riding the Katy railroad
        passenger train from Oklahoma City to Bartlesville by myself when I was
        about 8 or 9. My aunt and uncle picked me up at the train. Every time I
        read the Narnia books, I think of my childhood rail trip.

        I just got back from Norman where Janet took me around to look at the
        buildings we will be in this summer for Mythcon. I think the facilities
        will be convenient. I want to visit the fine arts museum on campus while I
        am there.

        Ginger McElwee

        _____

        _____

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 10 , May 29, 2006
          Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

          DB

          Then you'd best avoid Primanti's whenever you go to the Strip District in Pittsburgh -- not only fries, but coleslaw and tomatoes as well, are stuffed INTO every sandwich!
          Janet

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2006
            Well, I've just been lent one of the few remaining copies of a brochure
            on Bruce Goff's designs in the Norman area. I will copy it and put it
            in the registration packet. There's a cluster of four homes (including
            the teepee) just a block from our site, and one two blocks away. There's
            a website where you can see a slide show of some of Goff's houses here:
            http://www.architectureweek.com/cgi-bin/supporting_architectureweek.cgi?
            dir=2001/0228&article=culture_1-1.html&image=11306_image_2.jpg. And if
            you really like his stuff, you can buy a set of Viewmaster reels on
            Amazon! I don't think I've ever seen the animal carved in the dead tree
            -- I'll look for it.

            Janet