Re: [mythsoc] Bartlesville OK etc.

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2006
      From: "Jay Hershberger" <hershjay@...>

      >I The museum contains
      > items and artifacts from all over the world, including an extensive
      > collection of Cowboy, Western, and Native American art, a South American
      > mummified corpse, and several shrunken heads from a head-hunting tribe
      > in the Amazon basin. It also has a large collection of rare rocks,
      > minerals, and natural rock crystals. If you're ever in Oklahoma,
      > Woolaroc is a worthwhile side trip

      Well, Jay, if you're ABSOLUTELY SURE the heads weren't collected on the
      spot...

      Diamond Proudbrook, venturing to wild Oklahoma this summer
    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27, 2006
        Bartlesville is also the home of the OK Mozart music festival which starts in about 2 weeks

        http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp <http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp>

        It is one of those "mostly Mozart" festivals which features some very talented and famous perfomers. I heard Sir James Galway there in 2004, and saw an excellent production of Mozart's Idomeneo, not an easy opera to put on for audiences these days, another year.

        It has long benefitted form the oil industry which brought a lot of money to a town of 20,000. Unfortunately, the takeover of Phillips by Conoco a few years ago has hurt the local economy since many operations of the company (and people) were relocated to Houston.

        David

      • Jay Hershberger
        Message 3 of 10 , May 27, 2006
          Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.
          The OK Mozart Festival takes place primarily in the Bartlesville Community
          Center, an 1800 concert hall with acoustics that have attracted the Chicago
          Symphony, the St. Louis Symphony, and was the principal reason that Ransom
          Wilson and I Musici chose B'ville for OK Mozart. The relationship between
          the city and Phillips was for many years very cordial and the arts
          flourished in myriad ways. There aren't many towns in the Midwest with a
          population of 35,000 (a recent census figure) that has its own performing
          arts center that houses a local orchestra, civic ballet, community theatre,
          and hosts an internationally known music festival.

          David's observations about the move to Houston are correct. The tax base
          was really hurt because the town lost its upper echelon in management.
          However, ConocoPhillips has discovered that the move to Houston has not been
          the boon they expected, and they are in the process of transferring a number
          of folks from Houston back to Bartlesville. So, hopefully there will be a
          rebound in the economy. My mother still lives in Bartlesville, as do other
          family members, and we always enjoy going back to visit. There is a
          hamburger joint in B'ville called Murphy's Steak House that has the best Hot
          Hamburgers in the world (a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
          fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
          doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
          your arteries clog in the process).

          Cheers,

          Jay

          Bartlesville is also the home of the OK Mozart music festival which starts
          in about 2 weeks

          http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp <http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp>

          It is one of those "mostly Mozart" festivals which features some very
          talented and famous perfomers. I heard Sir James Galway there in 2004, and
          saw an excellent production of Mozart's Idomeneo, not an easy opera to put
          on for audiences these days, another year.

          It has long benefitted form the oil industry which brought a lot of money to
          a town of 20,000. Unfortunately, the takeover of Phillips by Conoco a few
          years ago has hurt the local economy since many operations of the company
          (and people) were relocated to Houston.

          David

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          " on the web.

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2006
            At 05:51 PM 5/27/2006 -0500, Jay Hershberger wrote:
            >Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.

            Very respectable for a town its size, but I've seen "big city skylines"
            with considerably more than that.

            >The OK Mozart Festival

            ... sounds delightful but it will be long over by Mythcon time. For me,
            one unfortunate side effect of Mythcons being in the summer is that you get
            to travel to interesting places which, unless there's a festival going on
            at the moment, will be symphonically dead. That, and the heat. My
            favorite thing about Kilauea? It was cool up there!

            >(a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
            >fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
            >doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
            >your arteries clog in the process).

            Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

            DB
          • Ginger McElwee
            Message 5 of 10 , May 27, 2006
              My favorite Bartlesville memory from childhood is riding the Katy railroad
              passenger train from Oklahoma City to Bartlesville by myself when I was
              about 8 or 9. My aunt and uncle picked me up at the train. Every time I
              read the Narnia books, I think of my childhood rail trip.

              I just got back from Norman where Janet took me around to look at the
              buildings we will be in this summer for Mythcon. I think the facilities
              will be convenient. I want to visit the fine arts museum on campus while I
              am there.

              Ginger McElwee

              _____

              _____

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 10 , May 29, 2006
                Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

                DB

                Then you'd best avoid Primanti's whenever you go to the Strip District in Pittsburgh -- not only fries, but coleslaw and tomatoes as well, are stuffed INTO every sandwich!
                Janet

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 10 , May 30, 2006
                  Well, I've just been lent one of the few remaining copies of a brochure
                  on Bruce Goff's designs in the Norman area. I will copy it and put it
                  in the registration packet. There's a cluster of four homes (including
                  the teepee) just a block from our site, and one two blocks away. There's
                  a website where you can see a slide show of some of Goff's houses here:
                  http://www.architectureweek.com/cgi-bin/supporting_architectureweek.cgi?
                  dir=2001/0228&article=culture_1-1.html&image=11306_image_2.jpg. And if
                  you really like his stuff, you can buy a set of Viewmaster reels on
                  Amazon! I don't think I've ever seen the animal carved in the dead tree
                  -- I'll look for it.

                  Janet