RE: [mythsoc] Bartlesville OK etc.

  • Jay Hershberger
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2006
      I remember when there were only 2 tanks marked HOT and COLD. The 3rd
      was constructed later. One of the best attractions in Bartlesville
      (although it's actually rural) is the museum Woolaroc. Frank Phillips,
      the founder of Phillips 66 was an avid collector. The museum contains
      items and artifacts from all over the world, including an extensive
      collection of Cowboy, Western, and Native American art, a South American
      mummified corpse, and several shrunken heads from a head-hunting tribe
      in the Amazon basin. It also has a large collection of rare rocks,
      minerals, and natural rock crystals. If you're ever in Oklahoma,
      Woolaroc is a worthwhile side trip (The name is an amalgam of the words
      Wood, Lake, and Rock).

      I loved going there as a kid.

      Cheers,

      Jay Hershberger
      Moorhead, MN

      Message 2 of 10 , May 27, 2006
        From: "Jay Hershberger" <hershjay@...>

        >I The museum contains
        > items and artifacts from all over the world, including an extensive
        > collection of Cowboy, Western, and Native American art, a South American
        > mummified corpse, and several shrunken heads from a head-hunting tribe
        > in the Amazon basin. It also has a large collection of rare rocks,
        > minerals, and natural rock crystals. If you're ever in Oklahoma,
        > Woolaroc is a worthwhile side trip

        Well, Jay, if you're ABSOLUTELY SURE the heads weren't collected on the
        spot...

        Diamond Proudbrook, venturing to wild Oklahoma this summer
      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 10 , May 27, 2006
          Bartlesville is also the home of the OK Mozart music festival which starts in about 2 weeks

          http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp <http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp>

          It is one of those "mostly Mozart" festivals which features some very talented and famous perfomers. I heard Sir James Galway there in 2004, and saw an excellent production of Mozart's Idomeneo, not an easy opera to put on for audiences these days, another year.

          It has long benefitted form the oil industry which brought a lot of money to a town of 20,000. Unfortunately, the takeover of Phillips by Conoco a few years ago has hurt the local economy since many operations of the company (and people) were relocated to Houston.

          David

        • Jay Hershberger
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2006
            Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.
            The OK Mozart Festival takes place primarily in the Bartlesville Community
            Center, an 1800 concert hall with acoustics that have attracted the Chicago
            Symphony, the St. Louis Symphony, and was the principal reason that Ransom
            Wilson and I Musici chose B'ville for OK Mozart. The relationship between
            the city and Phillips was for many years very cordial and the arts
            flourished in myriad ways. There aren't many towns in the Midwest with a
            population of 35,000 (a recent census figure) that has its own performing
            arts center that houses a local orchestra, civic ballet, community theatre,
            and hosts an internationally known music festival.

            David's observations about the move to Houston are correct. The tax base
            was really hurt because the town lost its upper echelon in management.
            However, ConocoPhillips has discovered that the move to Houston has not been
            the boon they expected, and they are in the process of transferring a number
            of folks from Houston back to Bartlesville. So, hopefully there will be a
            rebound in the economy. My mother still lives in Bartlesville, as do other
            family members, and we always enjoy going back to visit. There is a
            hamburger joint in B'ville called Murphy's Steak House that has the best Hot
            Hamburgers in the world (a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
            fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
            doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
            your arteries clog in the process).

            Cheers,

            Jay

            Bartlesville is also the home of the OK Mozart music festival which starts
            in about 2 weeks

            http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp <http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp>

            It is one of those "mostly Mozart" festivals which features some very
            talented and famous perfomers. I heard Sir James Galway there in 2004, and
            saw an excellent production of Mozart's Idomeneo, not an easy opera to put
            on for audiences these days, another year.

            It has long benefitted form the oil industry which brought a lot of money to
            a town of 20,000. Unfortunately, the takeover of Phillips by Conoco a few
            years ago has hurt the local economy since many operations of the company
            (and people) were relocated to Houston.

            David

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            " on the web.

            _____

            Message 5 of 10 , May 27, 2006
              At 05:51 PM 5/27/2006 -0500, Jay Hershberger wrote:
              >Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.

              Very respectable for a town its size, but I've seen "big city skylines"
              with considerably more than that.

              >The OK Mozart Festival

              ... sounds delightful but it will be long over by Mythcon time. For me,
              one unfortunate side effect of Mythcons being in the summer is that you get
              to travel to interesting places which, unless there's a festival going on
              at the moment, will be symphonically dead. That, and the heat. My
              favorite thing about Kilauea? It was cool up there!

              >(a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
              >fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
              >doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
              >your arteries clog in the process).

              Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

              DB
            • Ginger McElwee
              Message 6 of 10 , May 27, 2006
                My favorite Bartlesville memory from childhood is riding the Katy railroad
                passenger train from Oklahoma City to Bartlesville by myself when I was
                about 8 or 9. My aunt and uncle picked me up at the train. Every time I
                read the Narnia books, I think of my childhood rail trip.

                I just got back from Norman where Janet took me around to look at the
                buildings we will be in this summer for Mythcon. I think the facilities
                will be convenient. I want to visit the fine arts museum on campus while I
                am there.

                Ginger McElwee

                _____

                _____

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 10 , May 29, 2006
                  Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

                  DB

                  Then you'd best avoid Primanti's whenever you go to the Strip District in Pittsburgh -- not only fries, but coleslaw and tomatoes as well, are stuffed INTO every sandwich!
                  Janet

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 30, 2006
                    Well, I've just been lent one of the few remaining copies of a brochure
                    on Bruce Goff's designs in the Norman area. I will copy it and put it
                    in the registration packet. There's a cluster of four homes (including
                    the teepee) just a block from our site, and one two blocks away. There's
                    a website where you can see a slide show of some of Goff's houses here:
                    http://www.architectureweek.com/cgi-bin/supporting_architectureweek.cgi?
                    dir=2001/0228&article=culture_1-1.html&image=11306_image_2.jpg. And if
                    you really like his stuff, you can buy a set of Viewmaster reels on
                    Amazon! I don't think I've ever seen the animal carved in the dead tree
                    -- I'll look for it.

                    Janet

                    At 12:31 PM 5/26/2006, you wrote:
                    >Message 7
                    > From: "Jay Hershberger" hershjay@...
                    > Date: Fri May 26, 2006 7:53am(PDT)
                    >Subject: Re: Oklahoma
                    >
                    >JC: Yes! Some of them in walking distance of the conference center were

                    >designed by Bruce Goff, a Frank Lloyd Wright student. And if you make
                    >a side trip up to Bartlesville, you can see the only high-rise FLW
                    >designed -- and stay in it, because it's a very nice hotel!
                    >
                    >I grew up in Bartlesville in the 70s when that odd looking structure
                    >was the Price Pipeline Co. The ophthalmologist I saw regularly as a
                    >kid also practiced in the Price Tower as it was called back in the good
                    ol' days.
                    >There is not a single horizontal right angle in that entire building.
                    >Quite a unique structure.
                    >
                    >Cheers,
                    >
                    >Jay Hershberger
                    >Moorhead, MN

                    You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See
                    how.
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

                    Links