Bartlesville OK etc.

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26 7:11 PM
      Jay's email (below) interested me because I also grew up in Bartlesville (a
      bit earlier). I took a couple of architecture courses at O.U. when Bruce
      Goff was head of the department there (he liked one of my abstract
      designs). A few years ago I took a tour of the Price Tower in Bartlesville
      for the first time since it opened--the people there have been restoring it
      to its original Frank Lloyd Wright interiors. Delightful. There were also
      some very good Bruce Goff paintings on the second floor. (The Wright
      houses and Unitarian Church around Chicago I have also visited.) About ten
      years ago, one of the museums in Fort Worth had a display of Bruce Goff's
      architectural designs. And I remember a slide show he did once (when I was
      a student) of a house he designed for one of the northern states--a lovely
      shot of a snow-covered yard sweeping up to a house with large lumps of hard
      coal set in white concrete (the clerestory beneath the roof of the house
      was not hard coal but large lumps of melted glass; with the lights on in
      the house at night they produced a series of blue areas in a strip, but
      during the day they looked the same as the coal). That was from the
      outside; from the inside during the day they let in a cool blue
      light. Janet, years ago, when I lived in Norman, there was a teepee-shaped
      house some place to the west of the campus, I think. No one was living in
      it, but Lynn and I got chased away from it one time by the man who owned it
      who lived next door; I think it was being used for storage. Is it still
      there? Also, you might mention as a minor attraction in Norman the carved
      animal figure at the top of a dead tree in the front yard at 474 Elm (not
      far from the campus); the woman who designed that (she died earlier this
      year) was part Seminole, so it ties to the AmerIndian motif of Mythcon.

      --Joe

      At 12:31 PM 5/26/2006, you wrote:
      >Message 7
      > From: "Jay Hershberger" hershjay@...
      > Date: Fri May 26, 2006 7:53am(PDT)
      >Subject: Re: Oklahoma
      >
      >JC: Yes! Some of them in walking distance of the conference center were
      >designed by Bruce Goff, a Frank Lloyd Wright student. And if you make a
      >side trip up to Bartlesville, you can see the only high-rise FLW designed --
      >and stay in it, because it's a very nice hotel!
      >
      >I grew up in Bartlesville in the 70s when that odd looking structure was the
      >Price Pipeline Co. The ophthalmologist I saw regularly as a kid also
      >practiced in the Price Tower as it was called back in the good ol' days.
      >There is not a single horizontal right angle in that entire building. Quite
      >a unique structure.
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Jay Hershberger
      >Moorhead, MN
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 10 , May 26 11:59 PM
        Hi Mythic Souls! Hope to see you all in August.

        Hey Joe, Tim has an aunt in B-ville. We visited her &
        his uncle (deceased) in '86. It's the home of the
        3 water tanks marked 'Hot", Cold", & "Warm".
        Tim & I have been calling it "Fardlesville" for yrs.
        Maybe the tanks are the 3 lost grails. [ "LOL" & ";-)"
        ]

        Hope you liked Tim's illos for yr. war poem
        submissions to Mythic Circle.

        Bonnie

        --- "Joe R. Christopher" <jchristopher@...>

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

      • Jay Hershberger
        Message 3 of 10 , May 27 7:45 AM
          I remember when there were only 2 tanks marked HOT and COLD. The 3rd
          was constructed later. One of the best attractions in Bartlesville
          (although it's actually rural) is the museum Woolaroc. Frank Phillips,
          the founder of Phillips 66 was an avid collector. The museum contains
          items and artifacts from all over the world, including an extensive
          collection of Cowboy, Western, and Native American art, a South American
          mummified corpse, and several shrunken heads from a head-hunting tribe
          in the Amazon basin. It also has a large collection of rare rocks,
          minerals, and natural rock crystals. If you're ever in Oklahoma,
          Woolaroc is a worthwhile side trip (The name is an amalgam of the words
          Wood, Lake, and Rock).

          I loved going there as a kid.

          Cheers,

          Jay Hershberger
          Moorhead, MN

          wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > >JC: Yes! Some of them in walking distance of the
          > conference center were
          > >designed by Bruce Goff, a Frank Lloyd Wright
          > student. And if you make a
          > >side trip up to Bartlesville, you can see the only
          > high-rise FLW designed --
          > >and stay in it, because it's a very nice hotel!
          > >
          > >I grew up in Bartlesville in the 70s when that odd
          > looking structure was the
          > >Price Pipeline Co. The ophthalmologist I saw
          > regularly as a kid also
          > >practiced in the Price Tower as it was called back
          > in the good ol' days.
          > >There is not a single horizontal right angle in
          > that entire building. Quite
          > >a unique structure.
          > >
          > >Cheers,
          > >
          > >Jay Hershberger
          > >Moorhead, MN

          > --------------------~-->
          > You can search right from your browser? It's easy

          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Wri
          ting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+fi
          ction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=y2eg6vElueLycc
          icIbmLvw> book
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=W
          riting+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Science+
          fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=lO3Ub95nJOYx
          hLh9xKmaZA> a book
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&
          w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=Scie
          nce+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=SdauVgsy
          Q7cty1c0_Mdmcw> child book

          Book
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+bo
          ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
          cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=IyTXz
          OVz9wcG0elM8KQAlA> writing software
          Science
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Writ
          ing+book&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+softwar
          e&w5=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig
          =XRnFz_kSPtPnWY1VFwJpwQ> fiction and fantasy
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+a+book+report&w1=Writing+bo
          ok&w2=Writing+a+book&w3=Writing+child+book&w4=Book+writing+software&w5=S
          cience+fiction+and+fantasy&w6=Writing+a+book+report&c=6&s=149&.sig=v6l7b
          RwIsnHwqukmL3bvDQ> a book report

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "mythsoc
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc> " on the web.

          _____

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27 12:40 PM
            From: "Jay Hershberger" <hershjay@...>

            >I The museum contains
            > items and artifacts from all over the world, including an extensive
            > collection of Cowboy, Western, and Native American art, a South American
            > mummified corpse, and several shrunken heads from a head-hunting tribe
            > in the Amazon basin. It also has a large collection of rare rocks,
            > minerals, and natural rock crystals. If you're ever in Oklahoma,
            > Woolaroc is a worthwhile side trip

            Well, Jay, if you're ABSOLUTELY SURE the heads weren't collected on the
            spot...

            Diamond Proudbrook, venturing to wild Oklahoma this summer
          • Oberhelman, D
            Message 5 of 10 , May 27 2:00 PM
              Bartlesville is also the home of the OK Mozart music festival which starts in about 2 weeks

              http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp <http://www.okmozart.com/default.asp>

              It is one of those "mostly Mozart" festivals which features some very talented and famous perfomers. I heard Sir James Galway there in 2004, and saw an excellent production of Mozart's Idomeneo, not an easy opera to put on for audiences these days, another year.

              It has long benefitted form the oil industry which brought a lot of money to a town of 20,000. Unfortunately, the takeover of Phillips by Conoco a few years ago has hurt the local economy since many operations of the company (and people) were relocated to Houston.

              David

            • Jay Hershberger
              Message 6 of 10 , May 27 3:51 PM
                Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.
                The OK Mozart Festival takes place primarily in the Bartlesville Community
                Center, an 1800 concert hall with acoustics that have attracted the Chicago
                Symphony, the St. Louis Symphony, and was the principal reason that Ransom
                Wilson and I Musici chose B'ville for OK Mozart. The relationship between
                the city and Phillips was for many years very cordial and the arts
                flourished in myriad ways. There aren't many towns in the Midwest with a
                population of 35,000 (a recent census figure) that has its own performing
                arts center that houses a local orchestra, civic ballet, community theatre,
                and hosts an internationally known music festival.

                David's observations about the move to Houston are correct. The tax base
                was really hurt because the town lost its upper echelon in management.
                However, ConocoPhillips has discovered that the move to Houston has not been
                the boon they expected, and they are in the process of transferring a number
                of folks from Houston back to Bartlesville. So, hopefully there will be a
                rebound in the economy. My mother still lives in Bartlesville, as do other
                family members, and we always enjoy going back to visit. There is a
                hamburger joint in B'ville called Murphy's Steak House that has the best Hot
                Hamburgers in the world (a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
                fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
                doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
                your arteries clog in the process).

                Cheers,

                Jay

                Message 7 of 10 , May 27 6:32 PM
                  At 05:51 PM 5/27/2006 -0500, Jay Hershberger wrote:
                  >Bartlesville actually has a big city skyline with 4 or 5 tall buildings.

                  Very respectable for a town its size, but I've seen "big city skylines"
                  with considerably more than that.

                  >The OK Mozart Festival

                  ... sounds delightful but it will be long over by Mythcon time. For me,
                  one unfortunate side effect of Mythcons being in the summer is that you get
                  to travel to interesting places which, unless there's a festival going on
                  at the moment, will be symphonically dead. That, and the heat. My
                  favorite thing about Kilauea? It was cool up there!

                  >(a hot hamburger is a slice of white bread with a
                  >fried hamburger patty on top, covered with thick, fresh cut fries, and
                  >doused all over with a brown gravy that is so magnificent you don't care if
                  >your arteries clog in the process).

                  Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

                  DB
                • Ginger McElwee
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27 7:17 PM
                    My favorite Bartlesville memory from childhood is riding the Katy railroad
                    passenger train from Oklahoma City to Bartlesville by myself when I was
                    about 8 or 9. My aunt and uncle picked me up at the train. Every time I
                    read the Narnia books, I think of my childhood rail trip.

                    I just got back from Norman where Janet took me around to look at the
                    buildings we will be in this summer for Mythcon. I think the facilities
                    will be convenient. I want to visit the fine arts museum on campus while I
                    am there.

                    Ginger McElwee

                    _____

                    _____

                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 29 7:39 AM
                      Gravy sounds good, but french fries _on_ a hamburger does not appeal.

                      DB

                      Then you'd best avoid Primanti's whenever you go to the Strip District in Pittsburgh -- not only fries, but coleslaw and tomatoes as well, are stuffed INTO every sandwich!
                      Janet

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 30 12:45 PM
                        Well, I've just been lent one of the few remaining copies of a brochure
                        on Bruce Goff's designs in the Norman area. I will copy it and put it
                        in the registration packet. There's a cluster of four homes (including
                        the teepee) just a block from our site, and one two blocks away. There's
                        a website where you can see a slide show of some of Goff's houses here:
                        http://www.architectureweek.com/cgi-bin/supporting_architectureweek.cgi?
                        dir=2001/0228&article=culture_1-1.html&image=11306_image_2.jpg. And if
                        you really like his stuff, you can buy a set of Viewmaster reels on
                        Amazon! I don't think I've ever seen the animal carved in the dead tree
                        -- I'll look for it.

                        Janet

                        At 12:31 PM 5/26/2006, you wrote:
                        >Message 7
                        > From: "Jay Hershberger" hershjay@...
                        > Date: Fri May 26, 2006 7:53am(PDT)
                        >Subject: Re: Oklahoma
                        >
                        >JC: Yes! Some of them in walking distance of the conference center were

                        >designed by Bruce Goff, a Frank Lloyd Wright student. And if you make
                        >a side trip up to Bartlesville, you can see the only high-rise FLW
                        >designed -- and stay in it, because it's a very nice hotel!
                        >
                        >I grew up in Bartlesville in the 70s when that odd looking structure
                        >was the Price Pipeline Co. The ophthalmologist I saw regularly as a
                        >kid also practiced in the Price Tower as it was called back in the good
                        ol' days.
                        >There is not a single horizontal right angle in that entire building.
                        >Quite a unique structure.
                        >
                        >Cheers,
                        >
                        >Jay Hershberger
                        >Moorhead, MN

                        You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See
                        how.
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

                        Links